Word of the Day

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
urroner
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Word of the Day

Post by urroner »

skoptsy n.
self-castration

Use of word: When OSU went out onto the field, it soon became self-evident that they had all committed skoptsy earlier that day.

Origin of word (from the infallible Wikipedia):
The Skoptsy (Russian: also transliterated as Skoptzy, Skoptzi, Skoptsi, Skopzi, Scoptsy , Skapetz and other spellings) were a secret sect of Christianity in imperial Russia. The Skoptsy are best known for practicing castration of men and the mastectomy of women in accordance with their teachings against sexual lust. The movement originated as an offshoot of the sect known as the "People of God" and was first noted in the late eighteenth century. The Skoptsy were persecuted by the imperial government and later by the Soviet Union, but enjoyed substantial growth before fading into obscurity by the mid-twentieth century.

Beliefs and practice of castration

The name "Skoptsy" is a plural of "skopets", an archaic word meaning "castrated one" in the Russian language.

As their title indicates, the main feature of the sect was castration. They believed that after the expulsion from the Garden of Eden, Adam and Eve had the halves of the forbidden fruit grafted onto their bodies forming testicles and breasts. Thus, the removal of these sexual organs restored the Skoptsy to the pristine state before the Original Sin.

There were two kinds of castration: the "lesser" and "greater seal" (i.e. partial and complete castration). For men, "lesser" castration was the removal of the testicles only, while "greater" castration was the removal of the penis as well. In this the Skoptsy maintained that they were fulfilling Christ's counsel of perfection in Matthew 19:12 and 18:8,9. The earliest records of female castrations date from 1815. Usually the breasts only were amputated, according to the 1911 encyclopedia. Other accounts suggest that the labia were also removed.

The Skoptsy also believed that a chief evil of the world is rooted in the lepost (bodily beauty, human sexuality, sex appeal, etc.) which prevents people from communicating with God. The way to perfection begins with the elimination of the cause followed by the liberation of soul. Castration ensured that all sins caused by lepost could not be committed.
I don't know about you, but that is one religion that I have no desire to join up with.

Italics, maybe you should consider joining the Skoptsies before getting married. :lol: :lol: :bug: :bug:

Where the hell am I going and why am I in this handbasket?
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

urroner
Heisman Winner

Post by urroner »

jeremiad [jer-uh-mahy-uhd, -ad] –noun
A prolonged lamentation or mournful complaint.
A literary work or speech expressing a bitter lament or a righteous prophecy of doom.
Origin:
1770–80; Jeremi(ah) + -ad, in reference to Jeremiah's Lamentations

When it comes to the BCS and it nefarious treatment of the unwashed masses, its depravity of deviltry, and it's scandalous and bloodthirstiness for the life of the ignoble and the squalid contaminated, the truly righteous and virtuous have warned it through a multiple and sundry of jeremiads that its wicked ways must change, else its demise will be putrefying and without bounds.

urroner
Heisman Winner

Post by urroner »

lamia
n. - mythical monster with snake's body and woman's head and breasts.

Hmm, that picture of a lamia kind of reminds me of a certain ex-wife that I know. :bug:

urroner
Heisman Winner

Post by urroner »

narcohypnia n.
numb feeling experienced on awakening.

Origin: G. Narkoo, to benumb, deaden + G. Hypnos, sleep

Use:
After almost every basketball game, the :utard: wake up experiencing narcohypnia, either because the :utard: were humiliated in game against toughest, meanest daycare center in Layton, Wee Care Day Care Center, or they're awaking from a three day drunken stupor in a failed attempt to forget that loss.

urroner
Heisman Winner

Post by urroner »

quidam n.
obscure, unknown person

In the big scheme of life, schmoe is not a quidam, but rather, all :utard: are

urroner
Heisman Winner

Post by urroner »

macradenous adj.
with large glands.

Need I say more about macradenous

Schmoe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Schmoe »

Ewww...

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
bigbluepuma
All-American

Post by bigbluepuma »

urroner wrote:
scott715 wrote:Where are you getting all of these words from? Did you open your christmas present early?
Some I know, some I just read in books, and some I hear in conversation.
So, you spend most of your free time reading old dictionaries and talking to pedants? ;) ;)

pedant: One who makes an excessive or tedeous show of learning. :gross:

I just openned this thread for the first time, and found it too fun to close and go to bed. In the morning, my wife, who went to bed early, not feeling well, will be asking me what time I came to bed, and what kept me up so late. I'll just tell her that it would take a lot of long words to explain it. ;) ;) :whistle: :D

bigbluepuma
All-American

Post by bigbluepuma »

urroner wrote:macradenous adj.
with large glands.

Need I say more about macradenous
I saw a girl about like that one time, wearing a white tee shirt. :bug: It was NOT a pretty sight! :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: