Rose gets cut a lot more slack than Bronco

BYU Cougars on the court.
Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Rose gets cut a lot more slack than Bronco

Post by Cougarbib »

At least for slow starts and only beating teams he is supposed to beat.

Must be because he has been beating the mighty Utes consistently and Bronco has lost two in a row.

Speaking of slow starts. BYU should have beaten USU. Rose lost one he was supposed to win and looked bad doing it.

It is hard to fault BYU for losing to Wisconsin in that tourney in their back yard, or Baylor in Provo or even St. Mary's on the road. That could happen to a top 25 team.

The USU loss is where this team underachieved.

With a win there, this young team would be ranked.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Sammich
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Rose gets cut a lot more slack than Bronco

Post by Sammich »

One of the problems with slow starts in football vs. Basketball is, you lose 1 or 2 early games in football, and your record is seriously tarnished for ranking and BCS chances. Lose 3 or 4 and you can forget about it. But a basketball team could lose 6 early games and still end up with a 20+ win season and a chance at the national championship.

So I guess the question is, would Bronco do as well as Rose if he had 30 games to play instead of 13?

Sammich
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Sammich »

My point is, Rose deserves the slack he gets because he turns slow starts into amazing seasons, but it is hard to tell whether Bronco deserves more slack because there is no chance to earn it.

Qman
All-American

Post by Qman »

Sammich wrote:One of the problems with slow starts in football vs. Basketball is, you lose 1 or 2 early games in football, and your record is seriously tarnished for ranking and BCS chances. Lose 3 or 4 and you can forget about it. But a basketball team could lose 6 early games and still end up with a 20+ win season and a chance at the national championship.

So I guess the question is, would Bronco do as well as Rose if he had 30 games to play instead of 13?
This is the key. The sports are different. The NCAA tourney makes all the difference in the world.

It is difficult to say what could have happen at USU is we had a different rotation. USU has been terrible since Jardine went down.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by scott715 »

And we now have Carlino at point.

Dcr36
All-American

Post by Dcr36 »

Sammich wrote:My point is, Rose deserves the slack he gets because he turns slow starts into amazing seasons, but it is hard to tell whether Bronco deserves more slack because there is no chance to earn it.
I don't agree. Coach Rose has produced one amazing season (last year), one very good season (2009-2010), and a bunch of good seasons (every other year under his tenure).

I agree Rose gets a lot more slack than Bronco - if you take last year out of the equation, you have two coaches that typically dominate against weaker competition but flounder against nationally prominent teams (unless said team is also in the MWC, in Rose's case). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Louisville was the only ranked team outside of the MWC that Rose has ever beat.

I think Rose gets off easier for a few different reasons.

First, I've heard a lot of BYU fans speculate that if Bronco ever got us to a BCS game, we'd probably hear a lot of the criticisms go away for 3-4 years. I think last year, for a lot of BYU fans, was roughly equivalent to a BCS year.

Second, I think BYU fans base their expectations on what programs surround them. Every conversation about Bronco inevitably leads to him getting compared to Petersen, Patterson and the like. The fact that BYU was/is able to hold its own among the other powers in the MWC, as well as local rivals like USU, probably leads to less fan-envy. Plus, factor in that Rose doesn't have to deal with any "big-conference envy" from BYU fans - the Pac-12 sucks, and outside of the MWC, there really isn't a dominant basketball conference on the west coast (and the MWC is about to be a shadow of its former self). Rose looks pretty good compared to his surroundings.

Third, and related, is that Rose has dominated Utah. That's a big key to keeping yourself off the hot seat.

Fourth, I think the expectations surrounding our basketball team are lower. When BYU basketball loses a close, winnable game against Baylor, the feeling is "hey, we held our own against the best in the country." When BYU football loses a close, winnable game against Texas (who was thought to be a good team at the time), the feeling is "I can't believe we choked that one away."

This last one bothers me the most - I think, all things considered, it's easier for BYU to have success at basketball these days than football. When you have issues like the HC, fielding a smaller 15-man team is a blessing compared to trying to wrangle up 100+ recruits. I feel like the talent pool of local LDS basketball players who ABSOLUTELY want to play at BYU is higher than football players in the same demographic. As aforementioned, there's a real power vacuum in the West that helps us snag a Carlino from time to time. Add in the fact that traditional "pro factory" schools aren't as dominant as they once were due to the "1-and-done" system, and BYU's success becomes a lot more plausible.

I'm not saying I want expectations for BYU basketball to be higher - I love Coach Rose and more importantly, I love winning, and Coach Rose does a lot of that. I just get a little frustrated when Rose gets nothing but praise and Bronco makes a fair number of BYU fans entertain thoughts of Andy Reid - but I feel both are succeeding at close to the same level, and I feel there are a lot less obstacles to winning for Rose than there are for Bronco.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Rose has done a much better job than Bronco.

Nuff said.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

I don't know that I would say a much better job than bronco, but a part better job and part the contexts as described above.
I would also add that Rose just had jimmer and has the recruits lining up to come here. And with Utah in the toilet, virtually no competition for the best utah recruits.
Simply put he seems to have more MO right now than Bronco. Many more positives than negatives, 85/15 percent breakdown. Bronco a lower ratio of positive to negatives, say 65/35, maybe 70/30.
Maybe my rations could be off, but trying to quantify why most would agree that Rose has a higher rating right now.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Rose seems to care a lot less about PR. He just worries about basketball. He doesn't worry about much else. It seems his sole and only focus is basketball.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

SpiffCoug wrote:Rose seems to care a lot less about PR. He just worries about basketball. He doesn't worry about much else. It seems his sole and only focus is basketball.
Is this why Rose seemed to do much better at PR? Maybe he is more loose and not as uptight and as a result flows better with media and PR.