St. Mary's is Favored

BYU Cougars on the court.
Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

St. Mary's is Favored

Post by Mars »

SMC opened as a 5-point favorite over BYU, and is now sitting pretty at 3.5.
http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-bas ... las-vegas/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RPIforecast has St. Mary's by 2.9. They give them a 60% chance of winning.
http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/Brigham%20Young.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

USAtoday has BYU at 19th in their predictor rankings, and SMC 25th. But this is a road game.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/bkc1112.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ken Pomeroy has BYU 19th, St. Mary's 27th.
http://kenpom.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Long story short, win this game and there's no reason why BYU can't split with Gonzaga and win the WCC. Lose this game, and the race for the conference championship becomes an uphill battle...

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Mars
Retired

Re: St. Mary's is Favored

Post by Mars »

St. Mary's's RPI is 42 (power ranking of 42).

BYU's best win to date is over Oregon, RPI of 85 (power ranking of 70)...

http://www.realtimerpi.com/rpi_305_Men.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by EM_Puma »

I love being the underdog.

I watched the Baylor vs. Miss St game last night (great game) and they mentioned several times how Baylor had felt dissed as they had be the underdog vs Northwestern @ Northwestern and vs BYU in Provo. Seemed to think that helped motivate them. I'm all for motivating the Cougs to win over St. Marys. I'm believing we win.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

I think the team will step up big for this game. They need and Im sure want to make a splash statement for the first WCC game. They got up for the Baylor game and hopefully the new guys won't be intimidated with SM's small arena and crowd and team and, I guess, espn2.
If we hold down our to's and hit our FT's, we win this one in a tight game.

ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ABYUFAN »

St. Mary's is at home, and hasn't lost to a team like Utah State (at least I think that they haven't). They should be favored. And I hope that they get knocked down a bit by a solid BYU team tonight

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

St. Mary's is a good team at home. They should be favored,.especially when you consider BYU hasn't beaten anyone of note.

School is out for St. Mary's and BYU travels well. Every local BYU fan with the means to drop $50+ on a game will be there. St. Mary's has had to release student section tickets because there were no students to take them. You can bet their student section will have a healthy population of BYU fans. That ought to take the wind out of their sails a bit.

St. Mary's got crushed by Baylor. Granted, we played Baylor at home, but we matched up pretty well so that should give us some confidence.

Add in the fact we're the underdog and will hopefully come in with a chip on our shoulders and I like our chances. This team can get up for the big games. Yes, it was largely Jimmer, but Davies, Noah and Abouo were there last year when we knocked off a top 10 SDSU on their court.

Speaking of tickets, I have an extra if anyone wants it...

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

BYU was favored against #6 Baylor? I don't think so...

St Mary's should be favored slightly at home against BYU. But with that being said, these guys haven't beaten anyone. They are SEVERELY OVERRATED. The only two remotely good teams they have played they have lost to. (Denver and Baylor). Someone up there mentions losing to Utah State in basketball, like that is a bad thing? Utah State is an annual threat to go dancing. And if we had Carlino - or a real PG - at the start of the year, we don't lose that game.

I think that BYU wins this pretty easy, with good officiating. It would be a much easier win if we had Ccoll and Rodgers for the game, but even so, I don't see this one being a problem, barring an absolute implosion by BYU. We will win, we will cover the spread. I'm thinking we win this by about 10 points tonight, if not much more. We will be up for the level of play, and BYU is going to look good tonight. Tues nights game was the perfect game to get the right mindset, and get some confidence that will carry over.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

BlueIsBetter wrote:BYU was favored against #6 Baylor? I don't think so...
Yeah, BYU was favored to win by at least Ken Pomeroy and ESPN. I know some vegas lines had BYU as winning by 1.5 and 3, but I didn't follow the lines up to kickoff.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

So, is Saint Mary's a better or worse team than last year?
I think BYU could safely be labeled as a tick down from last year.
So, i get the "slightly favored" but is your confidence in a BYU win as warranted given my question? Iirc, we won by 2 last year at home.
NOt challenging. Just asking.

Andy Katz was the only major media person who picked BYU as an "upset." Which means BYU was the dog by odds makers.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

The game last year was not at home but part of a tournament. If I remember right it was an island off of Texas.