Execution

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
mcgregor
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: Cougar Law

Re: Execution

Post by mcgregor »

Mars wrote:
mcgregor wrote: After thinking about last night's game a bit more, I've decided that, like Bronco has stressed, this game was about execution. TCU executed. BYU didn't. Bronco failed to execute by mentally preparing his team to play an athletically superior opponent. Robert Anae failed to execute by failing to properly utilize our strengths at the appropriate times. Max Hall failed to execute because he couldn't keep his offense on the field.
Perfectly executing crappy offensive and defensive gameplans doesn't win anyone anything. Take away our turnovers, take away our penalties, and TCU still beats us. "Execution" is a false idea too often when it comes out of Bronco's mouth. He thought that would be the key in this game, and he couldn't have been more wrong. That was the least of our worries.
Perhaps we are saying the same thing.

A review of my other posts on this site will demonstrate that I place the lion share of the blame on the coaching staff. THEY have failed to execute.

It takes very little effort to find examples in college football that inferior teams executing a superior game plan can beat any opponent.

mcgregor
Freshman

Post by mcgregor »

Let me put it this way:

Coach execution + player execution = chance at beating superior team

Coach lack of execution + player execution = better team wins

Coach execution + lack of player execution = better team wins

lack of coach execution + lack of player execution = UNLV

Schmoe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Post by Schmoe »

mcgregor wrote:Let me put it this way:

lack of coach execution + lack of player execution + lack of talent in both parties = UNM (who knew you could get less by adding more?)

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

mcgregor wrote: Perhaps we are saying the same thing. A review of my other posts on this site will demonstrate that I place the lion share of the blame on the coaching staff. THEY have failed to execute. It takes very little effort to find examples in college football that inferior teams executing a superior game plan can beat any opponent.
I wasn't disagreeing with your post, I was saying basically the same thing in my own words. I agree with a lot of what you've been saying since the TCU game: Work still needs to be done.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Sammich
Senior

Post by Sammich »

mcgregor wrote:Let me put it this way:

That's an awesome summary.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

The only one I disagree with is:

Coach lack of execution + player execution = better team wins.

To me, that formula just adds up to a perfectly executed piece of crap. You give the world's best pianist 20 years to practice a sonata written by a drunken marmoset, and it's still going to sound like crap after all that practice.

You gotta teach them correct principles so that they can properly govern themselves.

mcgregor
Freshman

Post by mcgregor »

snoscythe wrote:The only one I disagree with is:

To me, that formula just adds up to a perfectly executed piece of crap. You give the world's best pianist 20 years to practice a sonata written by a drunken marmoset, and it's still going to sound like crap after all that practice.

You gotta teach them correct principles so that they can properly govern themselves.
Here me out on this one point:

Let's assume (make your joke) that BYU coaches fail to properly prepare for a particular team, and that team is USU. Conversely, let's also assume that USU is well-coached. With these two assumptions in place, there is still very little USU could do to overcome BYU perfectly executing a vanilla game plan. They just aren't talented enough.

And yes, there is a sliding scale as to how much the coaches must prepare, and how athletic the players on each team are.

We can also look at SDSU, another well-executing coach and player tandem. But they simply weren't good enough to overcome a plainly coached by well-executing BYU team.

So Sno, yes, we may be a big piece of crap on the field, but it hardly matters when USU and SDSU is on the field with you. Stinks to be them.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

mcgregor wrote:

Let's assume (make your joke) that BYU coaches fail to properly prepare for a particular team, and that team is USU. Conversely, let's also assume that USU is well-coached. With these two assumptions in place, there is still very little USU could do to overcome BYU perfectly executing a vanilla game plan. They just aren't talented enough.

And yes, there is a sliding scale as to how much the coaches must prepare, and how athletic the players on each team are.

We can also look at SDSU, another well-executing coach and player tandem. But they simply weren't good enough to overcome a plainly coached by well-executing BYU team.

So Sno, yes, we may be a big piece of crap on the field, but it hardly matters when USU and SDSU is on the field with you. Stinks to be them.
Point taken.

Yzzazz
BLUEshirt

Post by Yzzazz »

snoscythe wrote:
mcgregor wrote:

To me, that formula just adds up to a perfectly executed piece of crap...

... we may be a big piece of crap on the field, but it hardly matters when USU and SDSU is on the field with you. Stinks to be them.
Point taken.
Hey Guys.

What about OU? Did Bronco prepare only for OU in the offseason and then simply go on cruise control for FSU and TCU? That's hard for me to wrap my head around.

It is my opinion that the OU game was won by our pass rush (which was largely helped by Brody Eldrige's inexperience at center and Mike Stoops egregious non-preparation of his freshman backup). The main point is that the pash rush greatly diminished the liability in the defense's lack of speed, and kept the game on more even footing. Which has to be done, since our offense isn't capable of scoring big points on a reasonably good defense, only a poor one.

If BYU were able to execute a pash rush against TCU like the one the levied at Oklahoma, perhaps BYU would have only lost to TCU 10 to 7 (or maybe 17 to 7 because that reverse halfback pass was one masterful play call. Bronco's extention at 422-INFO has officially been changed to TCU's listing of Gary Patterson. Does Gary have Bronco's number or what?) Without McKay Jacobsen or any serious deep threat, I really do think BYU would have lost this game under any circumstances. TCU was certainly the better team this year. Hats off to them.

I still think BYU can beat Utah, but to do so, our defense is going to have to hold Utah to 21 points or less. Without a strong pass rush, I'd see a repeat of FSU and TCU.

Speed is the killer, but the antidote appears to be disruption as evidenced by the OU game. Why can't our players consistently execute a disruption of speed?

Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Lawboy »

I think Bronco knows his team, at its limitations. BYU is not going to be the more athletic team in many games it plays. And because of that, they have to rely on execution. Florida can rely on athletes makin plays to win, so can USC. We can not. So I think this phrase is used for 2 reasons. 1) it protects the way bronco talks about his guys. saying we were out executed is a nice way of saying they were a better team than us. They had better athletes. 2) it is the truth. The Utah Jazz rely on it s well. and when they do it, they are efficient and win.

Of course, this does not address one HUGE issue, which is was the game plan put together by the coaches good enough? Against TCU it was not. Not by a mile. The game plan did not put our guys in position to execute. It put them in position to be handled, and thus, to fail. Scheme and game plan are huge in evaluating execution.

The players played hard and fought. Harvery did run for over 120. That means he O-line played well and battled. But the passing scheme was atrocious. On the majority of plays, Max had no one open. No one. 3 sacks were cover sacks, 2 poor like blocking. 2 is ok. The other 3 are not. Guys have to get open, or Max needs to learn to throw it away. Dude never ever does that. That is why he has zero shot in the NFL. He does not understand that at times, cutting your losses for the next down is the best thing, instead of taking a sack or throwing a pick. But overall Max played ok. he had a crap scheme to work with.