Thanks Hookem

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
vancouvercougar
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Thanks Hookem

Post by vancouvercougar »

Many thanks to Hookem for the past few weeks. Your comments helped me get to know your team, and you were very respectful to us. I'd love to play you guys more often.

Props to your team. Your coordinators turned a 180 degree between the two halfs.

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Thanks Hookem

Post by BroncoBot »

vancouvercougar wrote:
Props to your team. Your coordinators turned a 180 degree between the two halfs.
BYU's as well. :D

hookem, it was a gutsy performance by Texas and I appreciated your comments. Your team never gave up and were definitely the better team in the second half. Well played sir.

To quote one of BYU's players "No one wins until someone gives up", and yesterday BYU gave up in that 2nd half. Texas won.

TexasFight
Gray Shirt
Fan Level: BYU is OK

Post by TexasFight »

Thanks guys. Your fans were very classy and your team is very solid. I'm glad we were able to get Gilbert out of the game in time to turn it around, and I look forward to the game at BYU in 2013.

Hookem
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU is my rival

Post by Hookem »

You bet, guys! I know this is a hard loss, they always are when you love, and have pride in your team. I look forward to another brawl up in Provo in 2013.

Hang in there, and don't be too hard on your team. Remember...these are just kids playing a game.

Maybe I'll chime in from time to time to see how my friends to the north are doing. Until then, God Bless!

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Hookem wrote:You bet, guys! I know this is a hard loss, they always are when you love, and have pride in your team. I look forward to another brawl up in Provo in 2013.

Hang in there, and don't be too hard on your team. Remember...these are just kids playing a game.

Maybe I'll chime in from time to time to see how my friends to the north are doing. Until then, God Bless!
As much as the loss smarts, I really hope that Texas wins their division in the big 12 this year. You are a class act hookem and it has been fun discussing our teams with each other. You were 100% right about this being a hard fought game and your team came out on the winning end of it.

CAFB_04-12
All-American

Post by CAFB_04-12 »

frdbtr wrote:I really hope that Texas wins their division in the big 12 this year.
For all my hopes that this happens, I really don't think the Texas from last night beats OU, OSU, or A&M this year. McCoy will probably improve, but I think the results will pan out next season.

The fans I ran into in Austin were polite and nice, but the sports radio guys sounded like Texas won by 45 points. Not sure what that sentiment comes from, if they watched the same game I did.

Hookem
Freshman

Post by Hookem »

CAFB_04-12 wrote:
frdbtr wrote:I really hope that Texas wins their division in the big 12 this year.
For all my hopes that this happens, I really don't think the Texas from last night beats OU, OSU, or A&M this year. McCoy will probably improve, but I think the results will pan out next season.

The fans I ran into in Austin were polite and nice, but the sports radio guys sounded like Texas won by 45 points. Not sure what that sentiment comes from, if they watched the same game I did.
Thanks, frdbtr!

CAFB_04-12,

Thanks!

As of right now, you're right...we don't beat any of those teams, or a couple of others.

As far as the radio guy, I can't speak for him, other than the fact that after a year like last, it was nice to see our team fight back and never give up. Last year's team would've given up after the 2nd Gilbert pick.

So I think for a lot of Texas fans, a 1 point win in a "hard fought" game, probably felt like a 45 point win. This was in many ways, a huge win for our psyche, more so than many would understand. (Probably how you guys felt once you started winning again after the Crowton years) That's what was the most exciting about this.

He probably let his emotions get the better of him, because he just saw something he, and many of us, wondered if we would ever see again in the near future, a Texas team playing with some passion after getting punched in the mouth. I wouldn't let it get to you.

BYULV
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BYULV »

Congrats on the win Hookem. Hopefully that was the turning point for your season where things start to click and fall into place. I can understand the feelings the radio guys must have had since just before the half your guys could have continued unchanged and probably lost in embarrassing fashion, or do what they did and take charge of the game. You have to admire a group of young guys who dig in and get things turned around as well as you guys did. Congratulations and I hope you win them all from here on out until we meet again in 2013.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

CAFB_04-12
All-American

Post by CAFB_04-12 »

Hookem wrote:
CAFB_04-12 wrote:

Thanks, frdbtr!

CAFB_04-12,

Thanks!

As of right now, you're right...we don't beat any of those teams, or a couple of others.

As far as the radio guy, I can't speak for him, other than the fact that after a year like last, it was nice to see our team fight back and never give up. Last year's team would've given up after the 2nd Gilbert pick.

So I think for a lot of Texas fans, a 1 point win in a "hard fought" game, probably felt like a 45 point win. This was in many ways, a huge win for our psyche, more so than many would understand. (Probably how you guys felt once you started winning again after the Crowton years) That's what was the most exciting about this.

He probably let his emotions get the better of him, because he just saw something he, and many of us, wondered if we would ever see again in the near future, a Texas team playing with some passion after getting punched in the mouth. I wouldn't let it get to you.
Yeah, it was the Hookem.com guy on 1300 AM. Really discounted most of what BYU was able to do during the game. They are completely sold on McCoy though. Gilbert is going to have to work pretty hard to get his job back.

I just get fed up with the "our athletes are better than your athletes" when the game was toe to toe up to the last handful of minutes in the game. If anything, BYU demonstrated that it has just as much talent, if not pure speed, than Texas right now.

I will take my hat off to Mack Brown though. After rewatching the game on the DVR it was obvious that his team responded to his enthusiasm in the second half. Texas is clearly a very well coached team, and I will agree with the radio guys on one point...Texas is in the national title hunt within two years. I mean, that Shipley kid is a true freshman. C'mon!

Hookem
Freshman

Post by Hookem »

I just get fed up with the "our athletes are better than your athletes" when the game was toe to toe up to the last handful of minutes in the game. If anything, BYU demonstrated that it has just as much talent, if not pure speed, than Texas right now.
I think Mack Brown and co. would agree with you.