Is this what I waited all offseason to see?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Is this what I waited all offseason to see?

Post by Lawboy »

mizzoucoug wrote: That first deep throw to Apo was just a bad, short throw. Apo had his guy beaten. 2nd throw was short as well but Apo again had the step. I didn't see any reason to not keep taking shots downfield.
Dude step away from the crack pipe, and cool down some next time. Maybe even give it the full 4 quarters before venting. Games are 60 minutes for a reason. We were the better team all game long. Our defense was dominant, and our O-line looked really good. Jake was off the first half, but he played great the 2nd half, other than the pick 6 score. Our D gave up 6 points and less than 170 yards. Our O got over 300, 200 in the 2nd half. Ole Miss was really big, and they were fast. And no QB on the planet his every throw they make. 24-38 is not bad, especially with being 10-21 at one point. That means 14-17 in the 2nd half by the way.

We will get better, and our timing on O will get better. Today, we were good enough. A win is a win is a win.

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

Just win baby is what they say and today we won on the road against an improved SEC team

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

CougarPeasant
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by CougarPeasant »

Loved watching BYU play in SEC country on ESPN in HD. Missi's corners were very fast and very good, about as good as BYU will see all season. The running backs missed some critical blocking assignments at times. I really didn't think our D would be the reason we won today, but if they are that good already, they will only get better week after week. What a difference a coach makes.

I saw much more involvement of the TEs today. I was disappointed that Heaps missed some opportunities to jump up quickly and bury Missi in the first half and that TD/INT was a shame as the defender was blocked from Heaps' view when he threw that pass. The CB made a great break on the ball and made a great play.

Quezada got injured in the first half and was missed, though the run game did about what I expected for the first game of the season.

I see growing pains on offense due to jitters. I see a defense that came to play and will win us some ball games this season, like they did today.

Others pointed out some of the big changes on offense over last season. Heaps will get better, and the most improvement during the season is between game one and two. Let's see how they do next week.

My question: Is Auburn that bad or is USU that good???

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Lawboy wrote:
mizzoucoug wrote: That first deep throw to Apo was just a bad, short throw. Apo had his guy beaten. 2nd throw was short as well but Apo again had the step. I didn't see any reason to not keep taking shots downfield.
Dude step away from the crack pipe, and cool down some next time. Maybe even give it the full 4 quarters before venting. Games are 60 minutes for a reason. We were the better team all game long. Our defense was dominant, and our O-line looked really good. Jake was off the first half, but he played great the 2nd half, other than the pick 6 score. Our D gave up 6 points and less than 170 yards. Our O got over 300, 200 in the 2nd half. Ole Miss was really big, and they were fast. And no QB on the planet his every throw they make. 24-38 is not bad, especially with being 10-21 at one point. That means 14-17 in the 2nd half by the way.

We will get better, and our timing on O will get better. Today, we were good enough. A win is a win is a win.
I think mizzou's point is similar to yours, just from a different angle. BYU absolutely was the better team today, and even though we dominated almost every aspect of the game, it took a defensive TD and a Ole Miss offense that might not score a TD all year to get a win. I'm just hoping that BYU had an off day. Otherwise, I'm going to have to lower expectations for the year.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

CougarPeasant wrote:
I saw much more involvement of the TEs today. I was disappointed that Heaps missed some opportunities to jump up quickly and bury Missi in the first half and that TD/INT was a shame as the defender was blocked from Heaps' view when he threw that pass. The CB made a great break on the ball and made a great play.

Others pointed out some of the big changes on offense over last season. Heaps will get better, and the most improvement during the season is between game one and two. Let's see how they do next week.
Not trying to bust you up but how do you know that Heaps couldn't see the defender? And why did he lock onto that receiver from snap to the time he threw the ball? That's an easy 6 if he looks that guy off for a split second. We used to murder Max hall for the same thing. I get he's young, but it's something he's got to learn to do more consistently.

I keep hearing about this improvement from week 1-2. What happened last year?

Mingjai
All-American

Post by Mingjai »

The one thing I miss from BYU's classic offense is wide receiver crossing patterns. Today, as in the past few years, over the middle was for slots and tight ends, but not the outside wide receivers. Did any outside receivers catch a crossing route today? I think Jacobson finally caught one in the second half. Both Apo and Hoffman are big guys and should be able to hold up over the middle.

The first three quarters of the game reminded me of Anae's first game vs BC. BYU moved the ball okay in the middle of the field with runs and check-down throws, but once the field got compressed, the offense had a hard time converting.

One observation regarding Heaps--he needs to work in slightly overthrowing his fade/fly patterns to Apo and Hoffman. Put the ball where they can run under it or jump to get it, so the outcome is either incomplete or reception. A couple of Jake's long balls were interception bait.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Mingjai wrote:
One observation regarding Heaps--he needs to work in slightly overthrowing his fade/fly patterns to Apo and Hoffman. Put the ball where they can run under it or jump to get it, so the outcome is either incomplete or reception. A couple of Jake's long balls were interception bait.
totally agree, I thought 2 of those were gonna be picks. Good thing that Ole Miss corners don't have hands.

Isola
Sophomore

Post by Isola »

There is such a thing as winning ugly and tonight proved it.

However, there is no such thing as losing pretty, so I will take this.

Obviously there are plenty of things to improve upon but our team responded when they were down by 13 on the road in the 4th quarter. Something that impressed me even more was how Heaps responded after the pick 6. Following that throw, Heaps went 10/12 for 10 and 1 TD.

That is what you want out of your QB, especially your Sophomore QB and I have to give credit to Doman for settling him down and getting him going for the come back instead of just losing his head.

The offense and special teams struggled, but they came away with the W. And the defense looks impressive. Texas "only" put up 34 against Rice and gave up 9. I think we have a real shot.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Isola wrote: Something that impressed me even more was how Heaps responded after the pick 6. Following that throw, Heaps went 10/12 for 10 and 1 TD.
someone's easy to please, that's a pitiful ypa. ;)

CougarPeasant
All-American

Post by CougarPeasant »

declocoug wrote:
CougarPeasant wrote:

Not trying to bust you up but how do you know that Heaps couldn't see the defender? And why did he lock onto that receiver from snap to the time he threw the ball? That's an easy 6 if he looks that guy off for a split second. We used to murder Max hall for the same thing. I get he's young, but it's something he's got to learn to do more consistently.

I keep hearing about this improvement from week 1-2. What happened last year?
I'm watching the replay on BYUtv. They just showed the INT. Sawyer, the safety, was to the left, hiding behind a line of players and had moved away from the play at first. Heaps should have looked off the receiver, I agree, but the defender appeared to be out of the play as far as what Heaps could have seen in line of sight. Also, Heaps needed to put more air on the ball to avoid a defender stepping in front of the pass.

Still it was a great play by the safety, who's a converted corner.

And as far as improvement, the difference this season versus last is Bronco is in charge of the defense and not Hill.
Last edited by CougarPeasant on Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.