75 ft x 75 ft "Y" banner

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Dwight
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

75 ft x 75 ft "Y" banner

Post by Dwight »

I own a significant hill side in Tri-Cities (Eastern Washington). It dawned on me that since the hill is visible to over 100,000 people, it would be a very nice place to hang a large Y banner on game days. How does someone go about getting permission to use the "Y" logo on a banner? Is there anyone in the Tri-Cities area that would like to work with me on this venture? It might be costly to do it right. However, it would make for many proud cougar fans on game day. :)

CougarClaw
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: 75 ft x 75 ft "Y" banner

Post by CougarClaw »

I don't think a huge banner in Washington would make a lot of sense unless we were playing washington, and then I don't think the project would be worth it unless we playing with a washington team every year.

neither are true at the moment. I like the enthusiasm, but is anyone else in WA even going to know what it means?

BerliNY
All-American

Post by BerliNY »

CougarClaw wrote:I don't think a huge banner in Washington would make a lot of sense unless we were playing washington, and then I don't think the project would be worth it unless we playing with a washington team every year.

neither are true at the moment. I like the enthusiasm, but is anyone else in WA even going to know what it means?
Word. Out here on the east coast I can't wear my "Y" gear without people asking me if I went to Yale.

Loyal Strong True
Dwight
Freshman

Post by Dwight »

CougarClaw wrote:I don't think a huge banner in Washington would make a lot of sense unless we were playing washington, and then I don't think the project would be worth it unless we playing with a washington team every year.

Nope. No one in this state knows about BYU. I guess that swirly that I nearly escaped at the hands of Husky fans in 1984 was about something else. At least the members of the five LDS stakes in the Tri-Cities would know what it was. TIC :lol:

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

I don't see it as any different from a fan flying a flag outside their house, I say go for it.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
CougarClaw
Pro

Post by CougarClaw »

Schmoe wrote:I don't see it as any different from a fan flying a flag outside their house, I say go for it.
Y flag outside the house: $10
75ft x 75ft Y banner on a hillside : $500
Having people ask you why you have a banner with a block letter Y on it: priceless.

HoosierCougar
Junior

Post by HoosierCougar »

I loved flying my "Y" flag on game days in Omaha. Me, the Iowa Hawkeye fan down the street and bunch of big red "N"s. I liked to tell people that it made me the most diverse person on the street! :whistle:

Isola
Sophomore

Post by Isola »

Dwight wrote:I own a significant hill side in Tri-Cities (Eastern Washington). It dawned on me that since the hill is visible to over 100,000 people, it would be a very nice place to hang a large Y banner on game days. How does someone go about getting permission to use the "Y" logo on a banner? Is there anyone in the Tri-Cities area that would like to work with me on this venture? It might be costly to do it right. However, it would make for many proud cougar fans on game day. :)
As a resident of Pasco, I love this idea. I also have to say that as you know there is a strong contingient of BYU fans in the Tri-Cities. For the UW game, a Bishop in Pasco bought 160+ tickets without knowing who was going to take them. He had no problem finding people willing to fork over the money and we all took over a section in the third deck.

I'm curious, which hill side do you own?

You may want to contact BYU to see if they might help with the banner. I don't know who else would be able to get their hands on a 75'x75' banner, and if you have to have it made, then you will probably need their permission.

You may also want to check with your city to make sure it won't violate some sign ordinance. Then again it may be better to ask forgiveness than ask permission.

I love this idea. WSU has a commercial running right now about how their logo is the most recognizable in college athletics (what are they smoking?!). It also quotes a "fan" saying "It's not about wins and losses..." What?! Then it closes claiming that they are "undefeated fans". WSU cougar fans must be dying for another team to root for. Get the banner and get out the word.

Message me if you need help in some way, not that I would be helpful, but you could try.

YBrit
All-American

Post by YBrit »

Y'all sound like a bunch of nancies. A man with land and ad space has a brilliant idea, advertising leads to google, leads to knowledge, leads to exposure

I think we should help fund the cost. Isola try CB more people will see your idea and support it IMO.

Texas has BYU license plates now. They dont explain our mission, beliefs, our the schools location in the US, but dammit Im still advertising.
Pimp that Y, Tri-cities need to know BYU fans roam the land, they'll feel safer.

Never look to stop the spread, CC dissapointed me today.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

twitter.com/Y4LYFE
Marsha's hiding in Lubbock, TX.

"We were boxed in and they weren't letting us breathe." -TH
CAFB_04-12
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by CAFB_04-12 »

YBrit wrote:Y'all sound like a bunch of nancies. A man with land and ad space has a brilliant idea, advertising leads to google, leads to knowledge, leads to exposure

I think we should help fund the cost. Isola try CB more people will see your idea and support it IMO.

Texas has BYU license plates now. They dont explain our mission, beliefs, our the schools location in the US, but dammit Im still advertising.
Pimp that Y, Tri-cities need to know BYU fans roam the land, they'll feel safer.

Never look to stop the spread, CC dissapointed me today.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Preach on! I construct a 20' x 20' oval Y out of blue Christmas lights each year on my front lawn. A guarantee that each of the K-State fans in my neighborhood (in Kansas) know where the BYU fans live. Football fans will know. Everyone else will wonder, but they don't matter.