Worn Out Sports Talk Show Host Phrases

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
1967cougar
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Worn Out Sports Talk Show Host Phrases

Post by 1967cougar »

Yeah, it's May. Not much going on in sports (unless you follow the NBA, which I don't). I've been saving this up for a while but it constantly bugs me. What are some phrases you hear on sports talk radio that just drive you bonkers? There's a local sports wannabe on St. George radio named Devin Dixon. He likes to be known as "Double D." I don't know the guy but I can't stand to listen to him (who would want to listed to someone who chooses a bra size as his moniker?). It grates on me when he (or anyone else) uses the phrase "in the house." We got John Stockton IN THE HOUSE today. Or, comin' at you with Gary Crowton, IN THE HOUSE. I think ESPN radio kinda started using this phrase years ago. But they use discretion as to when it's applied. Sportscasters wannabes like DD or TK (the guys a joke!) tend to use it to make themselves feel cool - just like real sports guys.

Am I off base here? And, what phrases just drive you nuts?

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Worn Out Sports Talk Show Host Phrases

Post by frdbtr »

Anything that DJ and PK say at any time in any of their shows.

trueblue72
Sophomore

Post by trueblue72 »

I hate it when they say ' a ' before referring to a player. When you have a lebron James , a deron Williams, a Jake heaps. It sounds stupid to me and everyone says it. Plus I agree on dj and pk. They drive me nuts.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Lawboy »

DJ does not drive me nuts, just PK. He goes out of his way to be annoying. Dude needs to tone it down several notches. I generally switch over to TheHerd after a while.

bball
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by bball »

The one I hate is "going forward." Everybody uses this now (even Bronco). This is used when the future is obviously what they are talking about, but they never use "the future", or "from now on," or "this is what we will do." Are these guys incapable of using a phrase that is not grossly overused by everybody? how about a little variation, a little creativity?

BigCougsFan
All-American

Post by BigCougsFan »

bball wrote:The one I hate is "going forward." Everybody uses this now (even Bronco). This is used when the future is obviously what they are talking about, but they never use "the future", or "from now on," or "this is what we will do." Are these guys incapable of using a phrase that is not grossly overused by everybody? how about a little variation, a little creativity?
Bronco has always said that. He even would use words, were others(mostly Gordon Monson) would laugh at him for using. Which stood out to me, because all I hear are other high end coaches using the same words.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

Lawboy wrote:DJ does not drive me nuts, just PK. He goes out of his way to be annoying. Dude needs to tone it down several notches. I generally switch over to TheHerd after a while.
It usually takes me about 20 minutes to drive to work everyday. The last time I listened to DJ and PK in the morning, DJ started to try to make a point as I was pulling out of my driveway, as I was pulling into the parking space at work, he still had not made his point, actually hadn't said anything that made any sense for the entire 20 minute drive. It was at that point that I started listening to audio books on my commute....haven't missed it for even a second.