OSU - Highest Ranked/Best Pac-10 Team Ever in LV Bowl?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Italics
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

OSU - Highest Ranked/Best Pac-10 Team Ever in LV Bowl?

Post by Italics »

By most projections, they are 3rd in the Pac-10 (although "tied for second" works as well)

Out of the three teams tied for second in the Pac-10, Oregon State has the highest ranking of #16.

In my opinion, this could be the toughest Pac-10 the LV Bowl has ever seen.

The more I see... the less I believe
The more I hear... the less I care
a1247
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: OSU - Highest Ranked/Best Pac-10 Team Ever in LV Bowl?

Post by a1247 »

I like the match up against OSU. I know most want the chance to see BYU play USC. But this year USC is just a name and not much else. Beating a ranked OSU team will look better for the cougs. A win over a good OSU team should give the cougs a shot at ending the season in the top 10 in all the polls. I know that doesn't matter but its good for the program. Lets be happy that the cougs are going to get another chance at another ranked team and not just a team that is playing off there name and past glory.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

The Bowl Las Vegas has never pitted two Top 25 teams against each other before.

BYU is 3-5 all-time against Oregon State. The two teams have never met in the post-season.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
MrRoboto
Gray Shirt

Post by MrRoboto »

a1247 wrote:I like the match up against OSU. I know most want the chance to see BYU play USC. But this year USC is just a name and not much else. Beating a ranked OSU team will look better for the cougs. A win over a good OSU team should give the cougs a shot at ending the season in the top 10 in all the polls. I know that doesn't matter but its good for the program. Lets be happy that the cougs are going to get another chance at another ranked team and not just a team that is playing off there name and past glory.
I don't want to attack you a1247, cuz you made a good point, but why do I keep hearing that the final poll rankings don't matter? I think it's huge. It's good for the program, but it makes me happy too. I would love BYU to win a championship again, but until then I think shooting for the top 25,or better yet top 10, is a good goal. Even the mighty USC couldn't do it this year. I hate the attitude that some of these BCS teams have, like Oregon in 2006. Maybe they were not thrilled to go to the Vegas bowl, but BYU made them look like chumps. I hope OSU comes with the same attitude.

a1247
Heisman Winner

Post by a1247 »

MrRoboto wrote:
a1247 wrote:I like the match up against OSU. I know most want the chance to see BYU play USC. But this year USC is just a name and not much else. Beating a ranked OSU team will look better for the cougs. A win over a good OSU team should give the cougs a shot at ending the season in the top 10 in all the polls. I know that doesn't matter but its good for the program. Lets be happy that the cougs are going to get another chance at another ranked team and not just a team that is playing off there name and past glory.
I don't want to attack you a1247, cuz you made a good point, but why do I keep hearing that the final poll rankings don't matter? I think it's huge. It's good for the program, but it makes me happy too. I would love BYU to win a championship again, but until then I think shooting for the top 25,or better yet top 10, is a good goal. Even the mighty USC couldn't do it this year. I hate the attitude that some of these BCS teams have, like Oregon in 2006. Maybe they were not thrilled to go to the Vegas bowl, but BYU made them look like chumps. I hope OSU comes with the same attitude.

I like you do think being ranked at the end of the year is good for the program as I stated in my first post. And it makes me happy to beable to say the cougs are ranked at the end of the year too. :crazy: But there are some that feel if your not in a BCS bowl and ranked in the top 5 then the season is a waste and sadly nothing else matters. These fans were droped on there head as a baby and don't really understand what it means to be a fan and have fun just getting the chance to watch the cougs play as much as possible no matter where or when they play.

gmj81
Junior

Post by gmj81 »

What's more, it seems like the BCS uses the bowl season against the non-AQ in every way. If they win against an AQ team, well that's just because the bowls are really meaningless anyway and are only about rewarding the kids for their seasons. But if they lose then it's just more proof that the non-AQ don't belong with the AQ.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Mars wrote: The Bowl Las Vegas has never pitted two Top 25 teams against each other before.

BYU is 3-5 all-time against Oregon State. The two teams have never met in the post-season.
Also:

#14 BYU is the highest-ranked team to ever play in the Bowl Las Vegas.
Oregon State last beat BYU in 1986 (in Provo), 10-6. Bronco Mendenhall was their starting Safety and a Senior team captain. He finished the game with 4 tackles in the Beavers' upset win.
BYU last beat Oregon State in 1978, in Corvallis.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars