James Anderson

BYU Cougars on the court.
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: James Anderson

Post by SpiffCoug »

I think Anderson has been solid in one game. Arizona. In that game he took two charges, grabbed six rebounds, blocked two shots and had one steal. He was 1-4 from the floor and 1-2 from the line. The 1-4 is poor, the 1-2 is decent from him. The offensive stats are poor, but he was solid on defense.

I'm well aware of Anderson's ability and don't expect anything more from him than hustle and effort. I want a few rebounds on the defensive end and a few altered shots.

While you haven't directly asked more from Anderson, insinuating that BYU needs a better big guy and then only talk about Anderson to implies that you want that type of game from him.

Granted, you can't help what I infer from your implications and we're likely to not come to an agreement on this subject. I do think you are expecting too much from him or you wouldn't be this harsh on someone.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

Italics wrote:
Gunk wrote:Never said I thought Anderson was a great/good player. Just think all the harshness directed at him is a little out of place. The kid averages 9.5 min a game. He played 4 min against UCLA and for some reason he's getting more than his fair share of criticism.

Want to point fingers...point them at Emery or Jimmer.

Jimmer played 34 min. Jimmer went 2 for 8 from behind the arc! He's shooting 10% less than he did last season from behind the arc. Against UCLA he shot just above 50 percent going 8 for 15. How many layups did he miss, though? I counted at least 3. Not to mention the 4th foul he picked up at a key moment in the game. He had 7 of the teams' 19 turnovers and only 1 assist! Jimmer did a horrible job of handling and moving the ball around and his defense was horrible.

Emery, played 32 min. He shot 1 for 5 from 3-point land (25%!). This season Emery is shooting 43% compared to 48% last season. He had 1 assist! Just one assist from a guard!

Player with the best shooting percentage on the team right now: Davies at 61%. Jimmer needs to be feeding that guy the ball every other possession. Instead, he and Rose prefer to pass it around the top. And that's why we lost. Not because of Anderson's 4 min.
Were you able to actually watch the game on TV?
I was able to finally watch it and I'll tell you this: blaming Jimmer for the loss is, to put it lightly, not smart. I really hope you were just trying to make a point when you said that.
Jimmer actually distributed the ball well I thought - the failure of his teammates to turn his dishes into points is not his problem. He did have a few ugly turnovers, but a few of them were just poor bounces and poor luck in my opinion. I've played PG my whole life - and let me tell you, it's hard to not turn the ball over when you can't trust your teammates to score, or when everyone is simply standing around.

But simply going off the "eye test" - you can't even begin to compare Anderson's job with Fredette's job in the UCLA game. You're really grasping at straws now...

I agree that Emery's offensive production was horrible in the UCLA game, but he is at least able to make up for it with excellent defense. Our big guys, however, got walked over the entire game. They looked hopeless.
Yes, I did watch the game and I too play PG. And yes I was primarily trying to make a point.

I also agree you can't compare Anderson's job to Jimmer's, which is my point. Anderson touched the ball, what 6 times in the 4 min he played? Yet, he has a thread completely devoted to him about how "horrible" he is. He misses one pass, and it sparks a rant? :skeptic:

Jimmer on the other hand touches the ball just about every possession, sometimes multiple times. The outcome of the game has a lot more to do with Jimmer than Anderson.

My other point is there are no sacred cows on the team. Why can we bash and criticize Anderson, but the All-American, who affects the game much more than the 4th guy off the bench, is off-limits? :skeptic:

Not to take anything away from Jimmer, he's the best player we've had in 20 years and could actually see NBA playing time without embarrassing BYU, but he's far from perfect. The word is out on Jimmer/BYU. Play Jimmer tight, throw 2 or 3 bodies at him if you don't have a Pullen on your team, force him to pass it, force BYU to make their shots, and don't worry about Jimmer on defense. If they don't make their shots, you win.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/w ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Whether we like it or not, we're completely dependent on Jimmer's play this season. We should be analyzing/criticizing his much more than Anderson's.

For example, Jimmer holds onto the ball a bit too long. He needs to learn to recognize the double team earlier and give it up earlier. As soon as the 2nd defender starts to move towards him that's when he needs to dish it. Too many times he waits until the 2nd defender is right in his grill and then he tries to pass it.

Since you play PG, Italics, you know it's a lot harder to pass the ball effectively and accurately with two defenders in your face. Instead of looking to make a pass for a bucket you're simply looking to get rid of the ball and escape the pressure. The moment the 2nd defender leaves his man to guard Jimmer, someone's open and the ball needs to be in open person's hands.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
kfilly20
Freshman

Post by kfilly20 »

I never said it was his fault we lost, not once. But the fact is he very rarely catches the ball when it is thrown to him, never makes a free throw, doesn't block shots, doesn't really rebound or defend, just generally doesn't help at all. I hate watching him play, it makes me uncomfortable. Its like watching "Two and A Half Men".

BPcougs
BLUEshirt

Post by BPcougs »

There is a difference between bobbles on occassion and cant catch a pass.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Thankfully Coach Rose saw the error of his ways and listened to Italics last night. Anderson didn't play and we routed a Weber St team that had lost their 20-pt scorer for the season. Without Anderson screwing things up for us, we simply blew them away.

(8.4x
..................ATT
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

kitic77 wrote:Thankfully Coach Rose saw the error of his ways and listened to Italics last night. Anderson didn't play and we routed a Weber St team that had lost their 20-pt scorer for the season. Without Anderson screwing things up for us, we simply blew them away.
lol!

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
BPcougs
BLUEshirt

Post by BPcougs »

Can imagine if JA played and we lost? thank god rose didnt put him in..

kfilly20
Freshman

Post by kfilly20 »

Hmmmmm, this has gone way off track, I simply said his awkwardness makes me uncomfortable when I'm watching the game. I didn't ask for him to be kicked off the team, I didnt say he was the reason we lost, nor did i say he should never play, or say he should be castrated. I was just making an observation. I'm sure he is very nice, and he is very tall, he just is not a basketball player. I'm sure he is our best option or he wouldn't be playing. Kitic needs to relax, we all realize he is a deity and knows all. I for one am grateful for him being on this board to constantly educate us on the error of our ways. Thank you for jumping into my brain, reading my thoughts, and correcting me. God bless.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

kitic77 wrote:Yeah, his FOUR minutes of game action yesterday is what cost us the game. He was the only player responsible for the loss.
The only post I made directed at you was my initial response. I don't believe I jumped into your brain, corrected you or read your thoughts. I don't recall claiming status as a deity or possessing omniscience.

I'm not even sure James Anderson is our best option. I was simply saying that JA hardly played against UCLA.

I may have implied that to base your decision on whether to watch the Cougars or not on James Anderson and his performance might be slightly misguided.

(8.4x
..................ATT
Italics
Heisman Winner

Post by Italics »

kitic77 wrote:Thankfully Coach Rose saw the error of his ways and listened to Italics last night. Anderson didn't play and we routed a Weber St team that had lost their 20-pt scorer for the season. Without Anderson screwing things up for us, we simply blew them away.
Wasn't aware that I thought all of our teams problem came from Anderson.

Granted, we very well may have lost that game if he had played.

The more I see... the less I believe
The more I hear... the less I care