Should Jimmer Be Holding Onto the Ball Even MORE?

BYU Cougars on the court.
Italics
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Should Jimmer Be Holding Onto the Ball Even MORE?

Post by Italics »

Just a general observation...

many on this forum - since last year, really - have implied that Jimmer is a bit of a "ball hog" so to say - and that he needs to get rid of the ball quicker and distribute it better.

On first look, I'd agree. Pretty much any guard should be doing that.

But let's take a look at the games this year, particularly the UCLA game - how many times did Jimmer drive the ball and something good didn't come out of it?

Yeah, he had a lot of turnovers against the Bruins. That's uncharacteristic of him this year. Poor screens seemed to play quite a bit of a role. Some of the TO's were flat ugly, others seemed a bit unlucky.

Besides that, all I can remember nearly everytime that Jimmer drived it was either:
A) Jimmer making a pretty layup
B) Jimmer going to the line

I really can't think of many circumstances this year where Jimmer has taken it to the hoop hard - forced or not - and something good hasn't come out of it. The guy is pretty dang consistent with either making the shot or going to the free throw line.

Let's look at the first half of the UCLA game - Jimmer plays aggressively and "hogs" the ball a bit - but scores 17 points and shoots a high %.

Second half - Jimmer distributes it more, drives less, and for the most part only takes shots (mostly 3-pointers) when he is passed to and open.
Scoring goes down, and the team as a whole does pretty poorly.

Last year there were definitely a lot of "pass the ball, Jimmer!" moments. But this year I'm noticing there have been a lot more "take it to the hoop, Jimmer!" moments.

Basically, teams like UCLA should have to prove they can stop Jimmer when he drives before we go away from it. It's the same thing as it is with running in football. Until they stop it - keep doing it. I've seen several teams this year who can't stop Jimmer when he drives...
Last edited by Italics on Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The more I see... the less I believe
The more I hear... the less I care
YBrit
All-American

Re: Should Jimmer Be Holding Onto the Ball Even MORE?

Post by YBrit »

Leaders ball more, followers sit more (JA thats you)

twitter.com/Y4LYFE
Marsha's hiding in Lubbock, TX.

"We were boxed in and they weren't letting us breathe." -TH
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

Jimmer did have a few layups in the UCLA game that resulted in rebounds for UCLA. He didn't get the foul call and didn't make the shot.

I'll play devil's advocate here for a bit. I see the point you're trying to make and agree to a point, but it could be argued that if Jimmer held onto it even more that would mean the others would get even less touches and even less opportunities to get into a rhythm, which is essential for shooters. Emery certainly has the capability to be a prolific shooter. Abouo has a decent shot too (if only he took more) and even Noah is pretty good from 10ft out. One could argue that they need the ball more to get in their rhythm. I can't imagine Emery is shooting 25% from the 3-point line in practice or Abouo is only taking two shots all practice.

I agree though, Jimmer needs to drive to the hoop more. His 3 point shooting isn't as good this season for some reason. And when he drives, Davies or Noah need to cut to the basket and be ready for a dish or a rebound. Too many times Jimmer is the only one in the paint.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Italics
Heisman Winner

Post by Italics »

tonight's game basically proved my point perfectly.

Go back and watch it.

Jimmer keeping the ball and driving aggressively = good

Jimmer dishing it off to Emery/Collinsworth/Abouo/etc. for the shot/drive = fail

The more I see... the less I believe
The more I hear... the less I care
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Our players need to do a much better job of making shots when Jimmer does drive and dish. They were very poor at this last night.

I think Jax needs to sit for a few games and get healthy. He's not right. His shots are off because he's not practicing much so his timing is off. He was slow on rotations and getting through screens to get out on shooters last night.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

kitic77 wrote:Our players need to do a much better job of making shots when Jimmer does drive and dish. They were very poor at this last night.

I think Jax needs to sit for a few games and get healthy. He's not right. His shots are off because he's not practicing much so his timing is off. He was slow on rotations and getting through screens to get out on shooters last night.
Playing hurt isn't doing him or the team any good.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Italics wrote:tonight's game basically proved my point perfectly.

Go back and watch it.

Jimmer keeping the ball and driving aggressively = good

Jimmer dishing it off to Emery/Collinsworth/Abouo/etc. for the shot/drive = fail
Sounds like the Cavaliers...