Bronco Fires Offensive Staff

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Florwood
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Bronco Fires Offensive Staff

Post by Florwood »

I'll have to be careful how much I listen to talk radio tomorrow. The hosts could get me all twisted about this

On 1280:
OC will whine about it being the stupidest way of doing thing he's ever heard, and Hans will defend it, saying it gives them a clean start
Jan and Gunther will take the players' perspective and say it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, but keep Reynolds or Matt's gone fer sure
Jake will hyperventilate and point out all the negatives with one or two positives. Monson will harrumph.

On 1320
DJ and PK will take opposing views. Can't say yet which will be which
Rome won't say anything about it.
Alema and whoever...Alema will be positive but weak, the other guy will ream us
BGL, Bolerjack won't be on, Girard will pontificate about the negatives, Locke will come up with some stats justifying Bronco's move and showing how it worked elsewhere.

And Bronco will be enjoying the Mexican Riviera...

Y 4 Ever
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Y 4 Ever »

Lawboy wrote:BYU needs to bend over backwards to keep Doman. He will be OC for us with a pay raise next year, or he will be gone. As Jay Drew and other have tweeted, he has options. IF you think People have not noticed the job he has done with Hall, and now true freshman Heaps, you are not paying attention. BYU needs to lock him up with a multi year OC deal.
Agreed. I think this is a pre-emptive move to retain/promote Doman. Like I've said in earlier threads...I think that we'll some day see Doman as the HC at BYU.

Let's just hope that Doman's as committed and loyal to BYU as we think he is...

KingCoug
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by KingCoug »

Don't know if this has been posted elsewhere on the board today but this is what Hans said (and it jives with Harmon's info) -

1. Bronco will remain both Head Coach and Defensive Coordinator

2. Brandon Doman will be Offensive Coordinator. Anae will be gone.

3. Lance Reynolds will be staying.

4. Chad Lewis will be Tight Ends coach.

5. Ben Cahoon will be Receivers coach.

6. Not sure about the rest of the staff or the Ty Detmer rumors.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
CannonCougar85
All-American

Post by CannonCougar85 »

KingCoug wrote:Don't know if this has been posted elsewhere on the board today but this is what Hans said (and it jives with Harmon's info) -

#4- How does this fit in with Lewis recently being hired as an associate athletic director over fundraising? I would think that if he was going to be the new TE coach he would not have taken the AD job on December 15th.

I think Hans is wrong on # 4 and anybody on this board could have predicted the other ones.

"We have a tradition unlike any other. Those that have gone before us are the giants upon whose shoulders we now stand."
-Bronco Mendenhall
Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

CannonCougar85 wrote:
KingCoug wrote:Don't know if this has been posted elsewhere on the board today but this is what Hans said (and it jives with Harmon's info) -

#4- How does this fit in with Lewis recently being hired as an associate athletic director over fundraising? I would think that if he was going to be the new TE coach he would not have taken the AD job on December 15th.

I think Hans is wrong on # 4 and anybody on this board could have predicted the other ones.

I know someone that couldn't have made the prediction - the correct prediction. Mongo!! Mongo not smart. Mongo know nothing!!! LOL!!!
8)

imuakahuku
All-American

Post by imuakahuku »

My hope is that whatever he does he does it quickly. Do it and get it over with so the recruits aren't left hanging too long.

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

imuakahuku wrote:My hope is that whatever he does he does it quickly. Do it and get it over with so the recruits aren't left hanging too long.
Bronco's not stupid; if he hires someone new for a position, it'll be someone that excites recruits not the opposite. (ryker is signed and playing for chad lewis is an upgrade to weber, no matter how much you might like weber... which apparently mathews does)

Doman is our best recruiter and he should be the face of this offense now; and as the face of the offense, I think he'll have plenty of input on the rest of the coaching staff.

Decisions aren't being made based soley on the wins/losses or offensive numbers (anyone that suggests so is quite ignorant to the big picture) these decisions are being made on recruiting, cohesiveness with the current team, and because Bronco (and Doman) believe that other coaches have made poor personell choices.

As long as Doman, Bronco, Reynolds and Kaufusi are on this staff, we won't lose any of our current commits and we don't have any offensive players on our roster for this years class, except for 1, Harvey Langi... and his case, the shakeup is probably a good thing, because Anae is not a popular OC in recruiting circles.

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

craigoscarson wrote: ..... Anae is not a popular OC in recruiting circles.
Really. Very intresting. Not surprising. Any inside scoop??? Insights???

Isola
Sophomore

Post by Isola »

I kind of like this idea. It is basically asking all the staff "Why are you the right man for the job?" and the answer can't just be that they already have the position. That is how most of us hope it works for the players, why not the coaches. It is like open competition for the offensive staff positions that includes outside candidates, except it won't last through spring, but probably just for a few weeks.

Italics
Heisman Winner

Post by Italics »

NA NA NA NA
NA NA NA NA
HEEY HEEY HEEY

GOOOOD BYEEEEEE!

The more I see... the less I believe
The more I hear... the less I care