Chambers at tight end?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
kfilly20
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Chambers at tight end?

Post by kfilly20 »

Should we move Chambers to tight end? He is slow for a receiver, but he would have pretty decent speed at tight end. He seems like he is a pretty good blocker to be honest, he is a big guy, he could probably out run most linebackers ( not corners obviously). Just a thought, I realize my thoughts don't matter at all, but I think tight end is where Chambers belongs.

BerliNY
All-American

Re: Chambers at tight end?

Post by BerliNY »

kfilly20 wrote:Should we move Chambers to tight end? He is slow for a receiver, but he would have pretty decent speed at tight end. He seems like he is a pretty good blocker to be honest, he is a big guy, he could probably out run most linebackers ( not corners obviously). Just a thought, I realize my thoughts don't matter at all, but I think tight end is where Chambers belongs.
Interesting thought, but ultimately I don't see it. Slot receiver sure, but not tight end. Tight ends have enough size (read mass) to block. Chambers is big, but he'd need to add quite a few pounds and learn how to block on the end before he could be switched to TE.

Loyal Strong True
craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

Marcus Mathews has recently made the switch and Dan Coates has a 4 year NFL career going after he switched to TE after coming to BYU as a receiver.
The problem is that #1 Chambers won't make the change and #2 We don't need more TEs.

OC is not a burner, but he does bring a physical prescence and when and if he gets the ball thrown to him more and catches those balls, I think we'll forget all about this. He's still our best option on the left side of the field.

Nobody benefits more from Jake Heaps running the show than OC; provided he keeps his mouth shut and produces when that time comes.

bball
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by bball »

Sorry guys, I have very little confidence in Chambers. I hope you're right, but he drops so many balls, it's very disappointing. If he'd been the only receiver who didn't drop any balls in the AF game, we would have been in that game, and could have won. No, the loss wasn't all on him, but he was little better than worthless in that game. Until he proves he can get open, catch the ball, and not fumble, I will be hoping for someone else to emerge (like Cody Hoffman), who plays his same position. Hoffman did catch a couple of passes against AF, and he didn't fumble. It might be time to let the more talented freshmen play.

jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

bball wrote:Sorry guys, I have very little confidence in Chambers. I hope you're right, but he drops so many balls, it's very disappointing. If he'd been the only receiver who didn't drop any balls in the AF game, we would have been in that game, and could have won. No, the loss wasn't all on him, but he was little better than worthless in that game. Until he proves he can get open, catch the ball, and not fumble, I will be hoping for someone else to emerge (like Cody Hoffman), who plays his same position. Hoffman did catch a couple of passes against AF, and he didn't fumble. It might be time to let the more talented freshmen play.
I think Chambers has already proven he can get open and catch the ball and not fumble. The same criticism could apply to jacobsen, ashworth or even luigi. Luigi had two fumbles, riley had two fumbles just last game. yes chambers should have jumped on it but he wouldn't have had to if luigi had simply held on the freaking ball with both hands.

Cougarpoke
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Cougarpoke »

If Chambers were a freshman then I could understand moving him to TE. He could have a year to learn the system and put some weight on. At this point, a move would be dumb. Chambers is a great possession reciever. Our QB's did nothing to help him out. I think Chambers only fumbles because he is fighting very hard to get more yards. He plays hard, I appreciate that. He fumbles a lot, that I do not appreciate. I think Chambers gets better over the season, and think he will be a leader for this team.

kfilly20
Freshman

Post by kfilly20 »

[/quote]I think Chambers has already proven he can get open and catch the ball and not fumble. The same criticism could apply to jacobsen, ashworth or even luigi. Luigi had two fumbles, riley had two fumbles just last game. yes chambers should have jumped on it but he wouldn't have had to if luigi had simply held on the freaking ball with both hands.[/quote]

He has absolutely not proven any of those things you just stated. The only routes he is open on are quick slants and screens, He has more fumbles per capita then probably anyone in college football, and his drop to catch ratio is very very bad. Lets be honest here.
Last edited by kfilly20 on Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

kfilly20 wrote:He has absolutely not proven any of those things you just stated. The only routes he is open on are quick slants and screens, He has more fumbles per capita then probably anyone in college football, and his drop to catch ratio is very very bad. Lets be honest here.
Now that is interesting, I'd like to see the statistics on that.

kfilly20
Freshman

Post by kfilly20 »

I honestly would love to see this statistic. It would have to include all fumbles not just fumbles lost, but he gets maybe 3 catches a game, and then 4 or 5 touches on special teams. so of the 7 or 8 touches a game he has an inordinate amount of fumbles. This is just a fact.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

kfilly20 wrote:I honestly would love to see this statistic. It would have to include all fumbles not just fumbles lost, but he gets maybe 3 catches a game, and then 4 or 5 touches on special teams. so of the 7 or 8 touches a game he has an inordinate amount of fumbles. This is just a fact.
I actually have tried to look into this to shut up "keepinitreal27" on a few occasions and found the task to be beyond monumental. I think the only way to do it is to go through every game on a play by play basis, and I still don't think that would do it.

He certainly doesn't do a good job of holding onto the football (either catching, or PR KR duty. Especially PR duty). Anyone that is being objective can agree with that. When the opposing sides main argument is, "Well how many has he actually lost?" You know they are fighting a losing battle.

(On a side note, I have already done this and it has worked well for my NCAA 11 team... ;) Too bad everything can't be like it's virtual counterpart...)
Last edited by Brayden Green on Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like: