Only 2 MWC First-Teamers?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Only 2 MWC First-Teamers?

Post by Mars »

OL Matt Reynolds is a unanimous MWC pre-season 1st-Teamer.
DB Andrew Rich was also voted to the MWC 1st-Team.
No one else.
TCU had 8 guys named, Utah had 4, SDSU had 3.

BYU has never finished a season in the MWC with less than three 1st-Team players.

Who else could have a break-out season this year?

LB Jordan Pendleton. Sorry New Mexico, CSU, and Wyoming, but the three of you suck too much to all have a guy finish ahead of JP.

OL Braden Hansen. This offensive line is easily good enough to get 2 guys on the final first-team list.

WR McKay Jacobsen. Huge ability, great speed, fully healthy, BYU passing attack. Boom goes the dynamite.

TE Devin Mahina/Austin Holt/Mike Muhlmann. A BYU guy should be the best threat at the position in the MWC. And these aren't just any old TEs, these are Cougar TEs. Big difference.

OL Nick Alleto. In fact, it's good enough to get 3.

DB Brian Logan. He led the league last year in passes defended, and he hits harder than Kimbo Slice. Big mistake leaving his name off the list.

RB Josh Quezada. Could have a massive break-out year.

RB/KR JJ DiLuigi. Given enough carries, he's got the skillz to pay the billz.

PR/KR/WR/RB Drew Phillips. Too fast not to be used to pick up as many yards as possible, in most every phase of offense and special teams especially.

DT Romney Fuga. Returning run-stuffer eats up blocks like he's supposed to.

LB Uona Kaveinga. Imediate game-changer... IF he can play this year!

LB Zac Stout. Experts say he's the biggest get for BYU's defense in a long time. The door is open for his side-to-side quickness to rack up insane tackle numbers in the middle of the field as a Cougar.

LB Kyle Van Noy. Once he gets used to the BYU system, he can let loose a year's worth of pent-up aggression on opponents.

QB Jake Heaps. He's got the ability to lead the conference in passing yards and touchdowns. We'd probably have to beat TCU and Utah though.

WR/KR O'Neil Chambers. Can he break-out from good to great? I think so, if we keep throwing the ball.

WR Ross Apo. Some people are talking about moving Jacobsen inside to get this kid outside. Guy could be phenomenal.

DE Vic So'oto. The size, speed, and athleticism have always been there. He just needs to start and stay healthy a whole season.

DB Brandon Bradley. 3rd returning DB for BYU on what hopes to finally be a lock-down unit. Very talented and athletic.

Obviously I really like a lot of players on a lot of positions on our team this year. We obviously aren't going to get 8 selections like TCU might. But if I had to guess, I could easily see... 5. Yup, you heard it here first, 5+ MWC 1st-Team guys by the end of the year.

What do YOU think?? :munch:

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Re: Only 2 MWC First-Teamers?

Post by jonnylingo »

I think our defense is going to be seriously agressive. Kvn is going to come out so pumped and ready to rip heads off and you know how pendleton is. Those two on the sides is going to be crazy to watch. I am actually really excited to see how our defense does. Our only problem is 'experience' and smarts. its takes time to become a good play caller back there and get everybody in position. that was why scottie was so good last year.

don't forget ogletree as well. he was a beast on special teams last year. i expect him to be very good at linebacker.

i am going to go with pendleton at least.

Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Only 2 MWC First-Teamers?

Post by Lawboy »

I think BYU could have had Pendleton on the list, maybe Logan on defense. The rest are too inexperienced or not earned it yet.

On offense, perhaps Braden Hansen or Jacobsen. Again, the rest while talented, are too inexperienced and have not earned it.

Honestly, I am glad about his. I like BYU being the hungry team with something to prove for a change, instead of the target. I think Bronco will pump the guys up in the underdog role as well. I think we will be a really aggressive team this year. Gary Patterson has used this approach to his advantage for years now, but they are the hunted this year.