Bronco: Kaveinga staying this year-still waiting for NCAA

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
byutx
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Bronco: Kaveinga staying this year-still waiting for NCAA

Post by byutx »

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Bronco: Kaveinga staying this year-still waiting for NCA

Post by hawkwing »

He should have an answer by the end of the week.

Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Ddawg »

This is a good update - with the decisive ruling keeping the Coug Coaches biting their fingernails. A positive ruling for Kaveinga would build an iron wall for the LB corps.

I personally believe - IMHO - the NCAA will rule in favor of Kaveinga playing. To do otherwise would be construed as harsh & unfair to 1 individual & 1 school. Especially in light of the harsh sanctions against USC - this seems logical.
8)

jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

Ddawg wrote:This is a good update - with the decisive ruling keeping the Coug Coaches biting their fingernails. A positive ruling for Kaveinga would build an iron wall for the LB corps.

I personally believe - IMHO - the NCAA will rule in favor of Kaveinga playing. To do otherwise would be construed as harsh & unfair to 1 individual & 1 school. Especially in light of the harsh sanctions against USC - this seems logical.
8)
I wish I was as optimistic as you. I just have no faith in the NCCA being fair here. They will hang their hat on the fact that he left before sanctions came. For heavens sake he had left before their bowl game didn't he? It was clear it wasn't just about the sanctions, but who knows. I SURE HOPE I AM WRONG! Wouldn't be the first time.

If he comes back I think we beat Utah. By then our offense will be clicking and our defense will very likely be even better than last year. Utah's defense will probably not be as good either, not to mention our receivers will probably be able to get open better this year with the more speed and depth we have at that position.

craigoscarson
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by craigoscarson »

Ddawg wrote:This is a good update - with the decisive ruling keeping the Coug Coaches biting their fingernails. A positive ruling for Kaveinga would build an iron wall for the LB corps.

8)
According to a couple of the reports today, Kaveingas argument for immediate play was that he left USC more than anything because of the behavior at USC and his desire to get away... considering he knew the allegations were real and USC would pay the price for cheating. He wanted to go to a school that didnt' cheat and could play in bowl games. Why should he be penalized for leaving early, rather than waiting around to find out how bad the NCAA would punish them? He knew they were and had cheated and wanted out. In some ways that is more commendable than the others that left only after they were guaranteed a scholarship in the fall elsewhere.

Considering how much trouble USC has been in and the current heat on Kiffin (how does that guy still have a job?), I don't think the NCAA will hesitate to allow Kaveinga immediate play. No reason to penalize a good kid trying to get away from a bad situation; and that's exactly the argument that Kaveinga and BYU are making.

Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Ddawg »

craigoscarson wrote:

8)
According to a couple of the reports today, Kaveingas argument for immediate play was that he left USC more than anything because of the behavior at USC and his desire to get away... considering he knew the allegations were real and USC would pay the price for cheating. He wanted to go to a school that didnt' cheat and could play in bowl games. Why should he be penalized for leaving early, rather than waiting around to find out how bad the NCAA would punish them? He knew they were and had cheated and wanted out. In some ways that is more commendable than the others that left only after they were guaranteed a scholarship in the fall elsewhere.

Bam!! Agreed. Articulate - Mongo like!!
:crazy: 8)

Considering how much trouble USC has been in and the current heat on Kiffin (how does that guy still have a job?), I don't think the NCAA will hesitate to allow Kaveinga immediate play. No reason to penalize a good kid trying to get away from a bad situation; and that's exactly the argument that Kaveinga and BYU are making.