BYU Football in 5 years?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.

Where will BYU Football be in 5 years?

In the MWC WITHOUT AQ status
17%
In the MWC WITH AQ status
40%
In the Big 12
43%
Independent
No votes

Total votes: 30

CannonCougar85
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

BYU Football in 5 years?

Post by CannonCougar85 »

Now that things have settled down a little bit from all of this expansion hubbub I want to know what CCers think about the future of BYU football. Where will BYU football be in 5 years?

"We have a tradition unlike any other. Those that have gone before us are the giants upon whose shoulders we now stand."
-Bronco Mendenhall
ABYUFAN
Pro

Re: BYU Football in 5 years?

Post by ABYUFAN »

I voted In the MWC WITH AQ status, although the conspiracy theroist in me finds it suspicious that Utah was invited to the Pac 10 a year before their numbers in the MWC would have counted.... :skeptic:

CannonCougar85
All-American

Post by CannonCougar85 »

ABYUFAN wrote:I voted In the MWC WITH AQ status, although the conspiracy theroist in me finds it suspicious that Utah was invited to the Pac 10 a year before their numbers in the MWC would have counted.... :skeptic:
This is exactly why I say Utah totally sold out. I don't blame them for going to the PAC but they have been #1 in anti-BCS sentiment over the past few years and then they sell out by leaving in 2011 rather then 2012 especially since Colorado won't be joining untill 2012 anyway. I can almost guarantee you that the BCS cronies had a lot to do with that decision. They told Utah that they have to come in 2011 or they can't come at all. Imagine the MWC chances of AQ status with BYU, Utah, TCU and BSU's records.

"We have a tradition unlike any other. Those that have gone before us are the giants upon whose shoulders we now stand."
-Bronco Mendenhall
bball
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by bball »

The MWC will not survive. Clearly the trend is towards larger conferences, and the big one's are going to gobble up the little ones. BYU will either join a big conference or get out of intercollegiate athletics completly (I've said this before, and I believe it will happen).

CougarClaw
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by CougarClaw »

Status Quo is a powerful force. I voted in MWC, not AQ status.

CannonCougar85
All-American

Post by CannonCougar85 »

Wow not one single vote for Independence. I thought for sure that at least one person would think it was a possibility. But it looks like the majority of people feel that BYU will not remain in the MWC without AQ status. I completely agree.

-Bronco Mendenhall
IowaCougar
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by IowaCougar »

I think now that Utah has abandoned the relationship, BYU will feel free to play the field. ;)

YNot
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by YNot »

I honestly do not believe that the Big XII will be around in 5 years.

I know the expansion talk has become passe, but I believe that the Big Ten will look to add at least two more teams (seriously, do you really think that all the commotion about the expansion of the Big Ten and its network revolved solely around the addition of Nebraska?). I think Missouri and Kansas are still under consideration (although I'm not sure that Kansas is in the secret brotherhood of academia as the other Big Ten schools) as well as Rutgers, Syracuse, Pitt, etc. and may be still an outside shot at Notre Dame.

With further Big Ten expansion, the PAC 10 and SEC will seek to reciprocate, which will lead to the pillaging of Texas, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma from the Big XII and and some ACC schools to the SEC (and then the ACC will take its pick from the Big East).. My best guess is that A&M goes to the SEC and Texas and Oklahoma go to the PAC 10. If the PAC 10 can get away with it, it would not take Texas Tech or Oklahoma State.

Ultimately, I don't think the MWC will be in a bad spot. It could improve by adding the Big XII leftovers (Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Kansas State) and bumping up to 12-14 teams. BYU will likely be left out of any of the Super-Conferences, but will be able to maintain its no-Sunday play and will still hover on the fringes of the national spotlight; right where we are accustomed and still in a good spot.

CannonCougar85
All-American

Post by CannonCougar85 »

YNot wrote: With further Big Ten expansion, the PAC 10 and SEC will seek to reciprocate, which will lead to the pillaging of Texas, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma from the Big XII and and some ACC schools to the SEC (and then the ACC will take its pick from the Big East).. My best guess is that A&M goes to the SEC and Texas and Oklahoma go to the PAC 10. If the PAC 10 can get away with it, it would not take Texas Tech or Oklahoma State.

Ultimately, I don't think the MWC will be in a bad spot. It could improve by adding the Big XII leftovers (Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Kansas State) and bumping up to 12-14 teams. BYU will likely be left out of any of the Super-Conferences, but will be able to maintain its no-Sunday play and will still hover on the fringes of the national spotlight; right where we are accustomed and still in a good spot.
As powerful as Texas is it will not be able to leave the Big 12 by itself. The Texas Legislature will always force Texas to leave as a package deal with Baylor and to a lesser extent Tech. But Baylor especially. The whole reason the PAC invited Colorado first was to try and prevent the Legislature from forcing Baylor on them. Even when that rumor was floating around that Jerry Jones wanted Arkansas and Notre Dame in the Big 12 the Texas Legislature immediately jumped in and threatened to force Houston in. The Texas Legislature has done it before and they will do it again if needed.

And if these super conferences are formed I think that BYU is too big of a program to be left out of the mix. They provide too many butts in seats and eyeballs on TV's to be ignored. Somebody will pick them up. Utah got picked up by the PAC over BYU because of Cal and Stanford not wanting a religious school in the conference. Period. That is is the only reason and it should come as no surprise that it went down that way. BYU has known for a decade or more that the PAC will never come knocking at their door.

-Bronco Mendenhall