Should BYU and Utah Keep the Rivalry?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.

Yes! Should be locked in every single year.
58%
Yes. But not every year.
12%
Yes. But BYU needs it more then Utah does.
No votes
Yes. But Utah needs it more then BYU does.
12%
No. Wasted OOC game.
19%

Total votes: 26

CannonCougar85
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Post by CannonCougar85 »

If Utah goes to the PAC and BYU either stays in the MWC or goes to the BIG 12 should they keep playing the rivalry game year in and year out? Should it be a given that BYU and Utah are playing each other? Should it be scheduled every once in a while? Or should it be done away with all together?

What do you think?

"We have a tradition unlike any other. Those that have gone before us are the giants upon whose shoulders we now stand."
-Bronco Mendenhall
Mingjai
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Should BYU and Utah Keep the Rivalry?

Post by Mingjai »

Nothing would be better than beating Pac member Utah every year. The MWC could continue its ownership of the Pac.

blue42
Senior

Post by blue42 »

I was leaning towards no let it die because I despise everything about the frUtes. I thought my salvation would be at stake if the game was to continue,(at least that was the plan to tell everyone for all eternity.) After thinking about it, I voted to keep it, the reason is I don't think the game would be as nasty as it has been because the teams wouldn't be in the same conference and that may take some of the edge off it. So it may return back to what it was during the Lavell years when the game would be the frUtes bowl game.

gmj81
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by gmj81 »

Yes, but only on the condition that it is the last game of each team's regular season. I don't want the intensity to get reduced any more by having it played in September.

CougarClaw
Pro

Post by CougarClaw »

yes, but now when we lose, we say it's cause Utah has better recruiting power and money than we do. They lose, it's cause, well...they have no excuse. it's the one bright side I can see.

BigCougsFan
All-American

Post by BigCougsFan »

I don't know if "No Wasted OOC game" is the right way to put it. If we continue the tradition... The fans will only get worse. FRutes fans are bad enough when we play in their house. I can totally see them getting even worse after they're on their High Horse.

Any game against a BCS conference is definitely not a wasted OOC game.

Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Lawboy »

Now sure why you end one of the best rivalries in the nation because of a conference realignment. You keep it no matter what. Florida plays Florida State, Notre Dame plays USC and Michigan, Kentucky and Lousiville play and so on. You still want to win and get those bragging rights. It matters too much locally to end. The AD's owe it to their fanbase to keep it going.

vancouvercougar
All-American

Post by vancouvercougar »

I like the idea of playing the :utard: earlier in the season before the weather gets cold and before the :utard: get on a roll.

In games where BYU was a huge favorite the :utard: would play big. With a PAC 10-12 :utard: opponant, we would always love to knock them off their pedastal.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

The biggest problem with playing a Pac12 Ute team every year is the obvious and blatant cheating performed by the most corrupt officiating crew in any organized sporting league. The games at Rice Eccles would see us facing an extremely inebriated and hostile crowd, along with open disregard for fair play and the rules on the field by the officials.