Official PAC 10 news release Colorado to the PAC

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Official PAC 10 news release Colorado to the PAC

Post by Lawboy »

Not sure why Baylor is getting all of this love, to be honest. The Big 12 had ZERO problem leaving TCU, SMU, Houston and Rice in the dust when the SWC disbanded and the Big 12 added those 4 Texas schools. Baylor got saved by a governor, but things have changed, and UTexas really holds all the cards now. Baylor will not get an invite, unless Ok State gets dumped. Personally, I'd love that option because I;d rather take OkState over Baylor in the MWC, but I just do not see it.

By the way, the move the PAC10 made to add Colorado and out flank the Baylor backers reminds me of the move the Big 10 made to grab Nebraska, and to basically flank Notre Dame. I expect Notre Dame to join the Big 10 really soon now, and for them to go to 16 as well. The Big East will be the next to go down. It may survive as a hoops conference, but its football days are done.

gmj81
Junior

Post by gmj81 »

Mingjai wrote:
Lawboy wrote:The genius here is that the PAC1.0 just pre-empted any moves by the state of Texas to try to leverage a position for Baylor. They basically just decided that they were taking who they wanted and would not be beholden to any legislature. It also means that Baylor will not get an invite no matter what. So as it stands, the PAC 10 will now add Texas, A&M, TTech, OU and OSU. And if those 5 say no thanks, Utah is Plan B. Smart move, I'd say. And I would almost bet that the move had the blessing of Texas, A&M and TTech, because it now takes pressure off them to make it a 4 team package deal as well. Now they can cut ties with Baylor much easier. It also means the PAC10 will not align itself with a religious school, like Baylor, over BYU, so it makes me feel a tiny bit better.
I mentioned this in another thread, but can't the Texas lawmakers still prevent the Texas schools from moving to the Pac 10 without Baylor? If the Texas legislature wants to keep the Texas schools out of the Pac 10, then they have the power to stand in the way. Nothing is ever a done deal, so if Texas moving to the Pac 10 is really contingent on Baylor coming along, then the Pac 10 might either have to uninvite CU (or OSU, which might cause problems in with OU) or settle for Utah with the Big 12 remaining intact. It just depends on how bad the Pac 10 really wants Texas and OU.
Of course they can. But what it'll come down to is whether the legislators think that preventing the other three from bolting for the Pac-10 would seriously hurt them financially, in which case... better one gets left out than four.

I really don't understand all this talk about how the "Big XII can't survive without Nebraska". I understand the implications of a mass exodus once that first domino falls but most people are spouting off that statement as fact without mentioning the IF part of it as if it's a guarantee. Nothing is definitive yet. Notre Dame could decide at the last minute to pull the reigns in on this runaway carriage. "It's going to happen, unless something crazy happens in the final hours," the source said [regarding Nebraska]. "I think by this weekend, it's going to be wrapped up." You better believe ND still has a say in all this.

People act like A&M is just some lap dog to Texas. They in and of themselves are a prize any conference would be willing to add. They haven't had the most on-field success as of late, but they are still more valuable than Nebraska and on par with OU. In Texas, UT is 1 and A&M is 1a. If Texas decides not to go, the rest of the Big XII South stays put. And if that happens, the rest of the Big XII North could jump ship if they wanted and it wouldn't matter, the Big XII would still survive. They could easily replace them with a bunch of non-AQs and a few transplants from the Big East and have just as strong a conference with just as much fan support and market share.

Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

The talk about the Big 12 not surviving without Nebraska is smokescreen. Of course they can, but Texas and OU want to align with the PAC10, so they are using it to be able to end the Big 12. Nebraska leaving is step 1. Colorado going to the PAc10 is step 2. The other 5 schools going to teh PAC 10 is step 3. Notre Dame joing the Big 10 is step 4. The Big 10 adding Missouri and 1 other is step 5. The SEC going afte r4 schools is step 6. The ACC raiding the Big East is step 7. The MWC adding the Big 12 leftovers, BSU and getting to 14 fits in there as well. who the 5th is is hopefully Missouri, but doubtful. This is all orchestrated, even though we don;t know it, and Comm. Delany along with Comm Scott ar ethe puppetmasters.

Y 4 Ever
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Y 4 Ever »

Nebraska hasn't gone anywhere..........

........yet. So, technically, CU to the Pac-11 was move #1. Guess we'll find out more tomorrow.