Why I'm still not convinced Texas is going to the Pac-11

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Y 4 Ever
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Why I'm still not convinced Texas is going to the Pac-11

Post by Y 4 Ever »

The national sports media would have you believe that Texas and Friends to the Pac-11 (16) is a done deal. They talk about it like its already happened, and the Big-12 is dead.

And its entirely possible that it IS a done deal. But until either the Pac-11 Commissioner and/or the President of UT stands up at a podium and says its a done deal...I won't be convinced.

And the reason is this: Money is great, but its not the only thing that matters to many people. In fact, for many people, its not even the most important thing.

In many people's eyes, POWER is more important than Money. So even if Texas could bring in millions more $$ per year as part of some mega-conglomerate with the Pac-11...that doesn't mean they are just going to jump in with both feet.

Because by doing so, they are giving up the ultimate power that they have in the Big-12. Are the likes of USC, UCLA, Cal, et al going to let Texas waltz in and start dictating terms, throwing their weight around, and demanding a bigger share of the conference money pie? Not a chance.

And is Texas going to like not dictating terms to the rest of their conference? Probably not. Will this loss of power be enough to overcome the greed generated from all of those $$$? I guess that's what we're about to find out.

But I for one won't be surprised to see Texas and the Texettes say "see ya CU, later Huskers...we're just fine without you. Two less whining serfs for us to worry about!" and just continue on their way, dictating everything that happens in the conference. Who knows, maybe with Nebraska out of the way they can negotiate an even bigger chunk of the Big-12 pie.

And maybe the conference will be so scared of them leaving, and the conference dissolving, that they'll clear away all road blocks standing between UT and their very own TV network...

Anyway, that's all my ramblings for today. Tomorrow AM this could all be decided, and I could look like either a genius or an idiot. Guess we'll find out.