BYU @ Texas

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

BYU @ Texas

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

It's Thursday, and boy am I interested in Saturday's trip to Austin. I think we have a shot at the upset, but here me out.

BYU is currently at +700 odds. If you bet $100 that we win, you would get $700 profit and your original 100 back. I am definitely not a betting man, but I see this and go hmmm.

Realistically I give BYU 25% chance to win. It feels like we have too much that needs to align at once. If we do pull off the upset, I would say it is because these 3 things happened:

1. The D keeps getting turnovers. I like our defense a lot, and I would say either Heckard, Robinson, or Slade gets an INT this Saturday. We will probably need 2-3. I am loving how Tooley, AJV, and Tyler Batty are playing. If the D gets at least four 3 and outs, and 2 INTs I think we win. The way they are playing, this part is probably 60% possible.

2. The offense gets clicking. It feels like Slovis has done good, but not great. The run game has gone from terrible to okay. If the run game gets 100+ through a combo of Robbins and Martin, and Deion out in space with the quick pass, AND if we can merge where Slovis gets 250+ in the air and has even 2 big plays of 40+ yards, I think we lasso the Longhorns.

3. Felinae Pumas concolor aka Triceratops trickeration and mental acuity. Ok this part is apparent. When Texas has a drive that just blows us apart and makes us look helpless and silly, we will need to rebound hard on the mental game. Texas will put up some numbers and some serious points. They are top 10 for a reason. If we just wet the bed in the first quarter and aren't fired up at all, this one goes the way of TCU where you will want to "just turn it off" as my dad would say. HOWEVER, when we beat Wisconsin on the road, and highly ranked Baylor at home, we used a trick play on them that de-pantsed their team spirit. So let's do it in Austin. I would bet ARod has one ready.

So Cougars, let's be within a score by halftime and have the entire Texas community collectively sigh and say, aww shit this is like that time with Taysom Hill. Remember, BYU was only up 6-0 at halftime in 2014, but tore it open second half to win 41-7. Our defense held them to one score back then. I think in 2023 we can do something similar.

But wow it will take all three of the above and maybe more.

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: BYU @ Texas

Post by scott715 »

It will be an interesting game. We got a shot.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Game day go Cougs. Get some turnovers and it gets interesting.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

I was there. Great atmosphere to be at. Not a great game for the Cougars

scott715
TV Analyst