Sam Houston game

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Sammich
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Sam Houston game

Post by Sammich »

Not much to say about this game, but even more disturbing than Slovis not syncing up with the receivers was how much our offensive line was being pushed around by Sam Houston. They are likely near the bottom for defenses we’ll face this year, hopefully we were just seeing a lot of first game problems that will melt away the rest of the year.

On the plus side, maybe we have a new star running back. I guess we’ll see.

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Sam Houston game

Post by scott715 »

OL needs some changes. Put Pay back at center.

nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by nuk13 »

I didn't see Mason Wake. Has he left BYU?

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I think he took medical retirement.

TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

TVRC takeaways for week 1:

1. A fixable offense. We were never in rhythm and it showed. Penalties and QB-receiver communications we can work with. It felt like they were close the whole game to a break out passing attack. At least the o-line didn't give up a sack. We need better run blocking, and Robbins will break loose. I like how LJ changed the tempo of the game. We have some legit runners this year.

2. Special teams surprise. Calling fake punts is ok with me. I like the aggression, and I like how every future team we face will more than likely play a conservative safe punt return, which for them doesn't set up return blocking as well. Keep opposing punt return teams guessing is the idea here.

3. The punter. I grew up a Vandy fan, and a lot of times saw the importance of punting and playing field position strategy. It shouldn't be the best part of the team though. That should be the passing attack.

4. Passing game. I think Slovis will do fine, but I would rather him be elite and go for 3500+ yards this year. I think the passing game CAN do that, but boy we have got to get better. I'm talking screens out of the backfield that go for 20+ and hitting at least 2 long bombs a game for 40+ yards. I want to see Keanu, Chase, Cody, Darrius, Keelan, and Parker all over the place in play action and whatever Fesi dials up. Which leads me to my final point after week 1.

5. Conspiracy to hold back. Now I don't know if it was purposeful to rest some guys, or to not go wild with playcalling, but if I'm a betting man I think they held back some of the offense. Hide it behind some missed routes and limited playcalling, and boom, we catch Arkansas unaware in week 3 after a simple offense hibernates through the first 2 weeks. Call me crazy? I call Fesi a genius, and when the Cougar passing attack erupts in week 3, baby let's go and upset the Razorbacks. That's the one I'm up for. Sam Houston and Southern Utah are tune ups, and we are tuning it up, but I think we get settled in and clicking by week 3. The defense is ahead of the offense, and the run game is ahead of the pass game. I think we'll get there just fine against SUU in week 2 but then really open it up in week 3.

Go Cougs-TVRC

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I heard the WR ran wrong routes 28 times in the game. The starting WR were not at spring ball so that could explain it. Hill is back and should be trusted by Solvis.