About the QB situation

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

About the QB situation

Post by Brayden Green »

One thing that I have been wondering lately, and I have no "insider information" to go off, is doesn't the QB situation depend on who the guys on the team get behind, as well as the coaches. I mean, there are some JC players playing pivotal roles for BYU, not to mention all of the seniors coming back, that I am sure don't want to have a 7 - 6 season, because we "don't want to put the ball into a true frosh qb."

I played football, though not at Div 1, and although they will rally behind whomever the coaching staff chooses, I wonder if they can fully get behind it if they think someone else is more suited for the spot. Obviously they'll go with it, and I'm not expecting a "Lord of the Flies" insurrection or anything... I dunno, I played on the defensive side, so most my career was aimed at hurting the QB.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Qman
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: About the QB situation

Post by Qman »

BlueIsBetter wrote:One thing that I have been wondering lately, and I have no "insider information" to go off, is doesn't the QB situation depend on who the guys on the team get behind, as well as the coaches. I mean, there are some JC players playing pivotal roles for BYU, not to mention all of the seniors coming back, that I am sure don't want to have a 7 - 6 season, because we "don't want to put the ball into a true frosh qb."

I played football, though not at Div 1, and although they will rally behind whomever the coaching staff chooses, I wonder if they can fully get behind it if they think someone else is more suited for the spot. Obviously they'll go with it, and I'm not expecting a "Lord of the Flies" insurrection or anything... I dunno, I played on the defensive side, so most my career was aimed at hurting the QB.

I would imagine the politics of the situations goes something like this:

Several of the guys are going to be in Nelson's camp simply because he has been around the block with them for over a year. They know him. Unless Heaps showed in the Spring and and will continue to earn the respect and trust of the upperclassmen, I don' see how he could be the starter. Of course this is going to be a gradual process with some being in Riley's camp and some being in Heaps camp.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb