Hawaii Bowl notes

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Hawaii Bowl notes

Post by Fido »

Jarhead
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Hawaii Bowl notes

Post by Jarhead »

For some reason whatever Fido is posting, I typically don’t see. Are they links or tweets or something? Screen shots? All I see is a blank box.

I do have an adblocker on my device (sorry Hawk) because I was getting way too many popups on my phone that wouldn’t go away. So that might be linked to it.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

Jarhead wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:36 am For some reason whatever Fido is posting, I typically don’t see. Are they links or tweets or something? Screen shots? All I see is a blank box.

I do have an adblocker on my device (sorry Hawk) because I was getting way too many popups on my phone that wouldn’t go away. So that might be linked to it.
Yes, I've been posting tweets lately with a bunch of the recruiting stories and this one. The ad blocker might be preventing the load but I'm not sure.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I can see them.

Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

Thanks for the response. At least I can imagine what I’m missing now.

Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

Here are my bowl game notes:

I am almost completely invested in following the basketball team, rather than thinking about the upcoming bowl game.

It just bothers me too much that the coaches played Wilson to the bitter end of the San Diego State game. He was struggling to finish drives just like he has all year. If they had let one of the backups come in for one or two drives starting the second half, I really think the outcome of the game would have been different.

Wilson needs to feel the heat. He needs to learn from his mistakes. He needs to read the defense faster and be decisive.

I am fully convinced we would have won the San Diego State game if the coaches hadn’t been so scared of a quarterback controversy. Even if they didn’t score on the one or two drives of backup play, which they likely would have, I think Wilson comes back in with renewed concentration and pulls off the game victory anyway.

Everything would be different if we had just won that game. Recruiting vibes would be better, we would be ranked already, and we would be on our way to a 9 win season, likely ranked in the top 20, with a ton of momentum for next year.

As it is, it’s hard to get excited for the Hawaii game. I’m too worried about a repeat of watching coaching stubbornness.

Plus it doesn’t help that I won’t be watching live (Christmas Eve is off limits for me).

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

Wow...the woulda couldas sure seem to have you down. I'm looking forward to one more game and grateful for the chance to build for next season. Odds makers have the Cougars by 1.5 points so it should be a competitive game. 6pm Mountain time start for those of you watching. Merry Christmas to all.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

Jarhead wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:50 pm Plus it doesn’t help that I won’t be watching live (Christmas Eve is off limits for me).
Nothing wrong in watching the game later. I watch most of the games taped. Two reasons. 1. I hate commercials; 2. I don't like the anxiety of close games live.

Yeah, I know--I'm a wuss about that, but I have found I can manage my feelings of anxiety doing it that way. Many times I never watch the losses. I've still got the SDSU game I've got to watch.

If I'm at a contest, I can handle the anxiety, mostly. I left the Puketah game with 2:30 left on the clock. I just couldn't handle being there with all those Puketah fans after losing a game where we were clearly the better team.

As for today's game. Christmas Eve is our traditional family celebration and so I'll HAVE to tape the game to watch later. Still, I celebrate that they were good enough this year to make it to a bowl game and it can never be bad for recruiting to take a team on a 4-5 day trip, with their families, to Hawaii. As it was pointed out this week, BYU will receive 1.2 million for the game, but don't expect to make any money on the trip. They spend it all for the experience and I like that they are not cheap. Those athletes put their physical lives on the line out there all year for our entertainment.

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

Don’t watch. You’ll say bad things and then have Santa next year punish you.

Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

BoiseBYU wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:12 pm Don’t watch. You’ll say bad things and then have Santa next year punish you.
Yes, and I feel pretty vindicated in my pre-game take, unfortunately.