San Diego State game thread

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: San Diego State game thread

Post by frdbtr »

Wilson's PER in his last 3 starts
Mighty Idaho state: 126.8
Umass 274
SDSU 101

Umass is just that bad, he had a good half of football against them. I just don't think he is the right guy going forward. I commented in a different thread that our only chance to win out was to play Baylor romney for the rest of the year. I guess we will never know how Baylor would have done against a good SDSU defense but he has a higher overall passer rating than Wilson has and handed a 1 loss Boise state team their only loss of the year. SDSU is a 9 win team but they have a horrible offense and with better QB play we could have and should have won this game.

a1247
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by a1247 »

frdbtr wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:17 pm
a1247 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:14 pm
frdbtr wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:07 pm
a1247 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:01 pm
frdbtr wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:57 pm
a1247 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:55 pm Wilson had to throw that 1 second before he should have, the line didn't block and he had no choice it was high and the receiver hadn't even turn to look until the ball was there. But everyone will blame Wilson.
Throwing the ball up for grabs should get blamed on the QB every time. Wilson does that a lot, and our offense pays for it most of the time. Baylor Romney makes better decisions than wilson and it isn't even close. I will take a smart QB over arm talent every day of the week.
I agree but on that play it wasn't all on Wilson. The oline has been owned by SDSU dline tonight.
Long's defensive philosophy is to bring it from everywhere and try to confuse the offensive line. It works. It is up to a smart QB to figure out where the heat is coming from and get the ball out fast to the right spot. It works because we saw teams to it against Bronco's defense quite a few times while Bronco was still here. Wilson just doesn't do that, even against less confusing defenses.
Again I agree but when the linebacker is in your face 2 seconds after you get the ball you have to throw the ball. The receiver hadn't even looked back for the ball when it was flying over his head. The line has to be able to know where the blitz is coming from as well as the QB. He was given no chance on that play. I get it you don't like the coaches or the starting QB. But not everything is Wilson's fault there's 5 guys in front of him that have to take some of the blame on that play.
I don't have anything against Wilson at all. I just think he is not the best Qb on the roster and yet our coaches still don't pull the trigger and start the best guy. I couldn't care less on one play. Wilson has been bad all game long, 1 play is just a microcosm of the whole game.
I remember when everyone on here was freaking out that the coaches weren't playing Tanner and they kept playing Tysom. It was the same BS the coaches don't know what they are doing blah blah blah. Then we got to see Tanner and frankly he sucked and it all made sense why he wasn't playing. The coaches see these guys every freaking day in practice I am positive they are putting the guy who they believe gives them the best chances to win. Lavell always said the most popular player in Provo was the back up qb. I put 65% of this lose on the oline. There was no run game tonight and Wilson was under pressure all game long. Did he make some bad decisions, he77 yes and it sucked to watch! The whole game sucked to watch. Offense got an F, the special teams got an F. The defense I would give a solid A-. 13 points 13 freaking points and they lose. PATHETIC!

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

As far as the kicking situation goes, I'd automatically move Oldroyd back into the starting position--he was at least hitting 2 of 3. Southam went 1 of 3. Then in the off-season open up the competition all over again. If I'm recalling correctly, Justin Smith and Ryan Rehkow should be back from missions (on scholarship) and Cash Peterman should be back as a walk-on. There won't be room for all of them, so may be best ones win the roster spots.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

a1247 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:28 pm
frdbtr wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:57 pm

Throwing the ball up for grabs should get blamed on the QB every time. Wilson does that a lot, and our offense pays for it most of the time. Baylor Romney makes better decisions than wilson and it isn't even close. I will take a smart QB over arm talent every day of the week.
I agree but on that play it wasn't all on Wilson. The oline has been owned by SDSU dline tonight.
Long's defensive philosophy is to bring it from everywhere and try to confuse the offensive line. It works. It is up to a smart QB to figure out where the heat is coming from and get the ball out fast to the right spot. It works because we saw teams to it against Bronco's defense quite a few times while Bronco was still here. Wilson just doesn't do that, even against less confusing defenses.
Again I agree but when the linebacker is in your face 2 seconds after you get the ball you have to throw the ball. The receiver hadn't even looked back for the ball when it was flying over his head. The line has to be able to know where the blitz is coming from as well as the QB. He was given no chance on that play. I get it you don't like the coaches or the starting QB. But not everything is Wilson's fault there's 5 guys in front of him that have to take some of the blame on that play.
I don't have anything against Wilson at all. I just think he is not the best Qb on the roster and yet our coaches still don't pull the trigger and start the best guy. I couldn't care less on one play. Wilson has been bad all game long, 1 play is just a microcosm of the whole game.
I remember when everyone on here was freaking out that the coaches weren't playing Tanner and they kept playing Tysom. It was the same BS the coaches don't know what they are doing blah blah blah. Then we got to see Tanner and frankly he sucked and it all made sense why he wasn't playing. The coaches see these guys every freaking day in practice I am positive they are putting the guy who they believe gives them the best chances to win. Lavell always said the most popular player in Provo was the back up qb. I put 65% of this lose on the oline. There was no run game tonight and Wilson was under pressure all game long. Did he make some bad decisions, he77 yes and it sucked to watch! The whole game sucked to watch. Offense got an F, the special teams got an F. The defense I would give a solid A-. 13 points 13 freaking points and they lose. PATHETIC!
And if you will look back at 2016 I was one of the guys who was calling for Taysom to play. The difference is, we have seen Baylor play this year and he clearly makes better and faster decisions with the ball than Wilson. Yes, the offensive line sucked, yes our coaching sucked, both offensively and defensively but IMO, with better QB play we would have had a better chance to win the game. I personally don't trust our coaches to make the best decisions personnel wise because they haven't earned that IMO. I rarely call for the backup, my only exceptions in all my years watching BYU football were Heaps and now Wilson. I was right about Heaps and I believe I am right about benching Wilson.

a1247
Heisman Winner

Post by a1247 »

frdbtr wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:23 pm Wilson's PER in his last 3 starts
Umass 274
SDSU 101

Umass is just that bad, he had a good half of football against them. I just don't think he is the right guy going forward. I commented in a different thread that our only chance to win out was to play Baylor romney for the rest of the year. I guess we will never know how Baylor would have done against a good SDSU defense but he has a higher overall passer rating than Wilson has and handed a 1 loss Boise state team their only loss of the year. SDSU is a 9 win team but they have a horrible offense and with better QB play we could have and should have won this game.
I think we can realistically say BYU will be playing Hawaii in the bowl game. I can't see why Hawaii wouldn't go to the game no matter what happens next week against Boise State. Hawaii can choose to go to the Hawaii bowl even if the win the MWC championship. Hawaii beat SDSU last week and unless the oline can play 100 times better and Wilson can scew his head on straight I don't see byu beating them.

Sharper
Recruit

Post by Sharper »

BYU's defense could've picked up some turnovers, but they played well enough to win this game. The offense gifting SDSU turnovers didn't help. The drop-8 defense calls gave SDSU the time to make big plays many times.

SDSU's defense was helped out quite a bit by PI non-calls. They were also helped by the predictability of the offense and the lack of throwing balls behind the blitzers. I get that they're supposed to be great against the run, but a blitz has a predictability all it's own. Those option plays to the outside worked well almost every time, for example.

Wilson simply isn't that consistent with his accuracy anymore. He threw way too many balls which ended up as almost picks, besides the picks he did throw. Receivers did a lot of fighting to defend.

I don't actually blame him for the 4th down pick. At that point, he had to throw it no matter what and it was actually more like a punt when SDSU caught it. They would've had better field position to just knock it down. I do blame him for 4th down and not even bothering to throw the ball to give someone a chance to catch it.

I was in the poll camp who voted to start Baylor instead of Wilson. Wilson has been doing just enough to convince the coaches to let him keep the starting job, but manages to fall down in critical situations to not score touchdowns. Stuff like throwing the ball up to covered receivers. His success comes in the blue zone when he runs instead of throws.

Remember earlier when BYU used to drive down the field, and then settle for FG attempts (which they now miss, apparently)? That was also back when Wilson was playing. It seems like that issue went away when Wilson was injured. Doesn't seem like a coincidence now.

Beating SDSU would've confirmed they were a decent team, more than the wins against patsies. They didn't have it this game and I lay the blame primarily at the feet of the coaching decisions. I was hoping the first half defense was just so they could dial up the blitzes in the 2nd half instead when SDSU could't prep for them at halftime. That after missing a FG on 4 and 2, they'd go back to an aggressive offense. Nope and Nope.

Not looking forward to Hawaii if they don't make some changes. They had the talent to beat this team, so no excuses.

a1247
Heisman Winner

Post by a1247 »

frdbtr wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:35 pm
a1247 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:28 pm

And if you will look back at 2016 I was one of the guys who was calling for Taysom to play. The difference is, we have seen Baylor play this year and he clearly makes better and faster decisions with the ball than Wilson. Yes, the offensive line sucked, yes our coaching sucked, both offensively and defensively but IMO, with better QB play we would have had a better chance to win the game. I personally don't trust our coaches to make the best decisions personnel wise because they haven't earned that IMO. I rarely call for the backup, my only exceptions in all my years watching BYU football were Heaps and now Wilson. I was right about Heaps and I believe I am right about benching Wilson.
I completely agree with you on Baylor getting the ball out faster. Wilson holds on to long when he has time.

Heaps should have never been starting as a freshman. He was in love with himself too much. Biggest waste of talent to ever walk through the doors at BYU.

blue42
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by blue42 »

a1247 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:28 pm I remember when everyone on here was freaking out that the coaches weren't playing Tanner and they kept playing Tysom. It was the same BS the coaches don't know what they are doing blah blah blah. Then we got to see Tanner and frankly he sucked and it all made sense why he wasn't playing. The coaches see these guys every freaking day in practice I am positive they are putting the guy who they believe gives them the best chances to win. Lavell always said the most popular player in Provo was the back up qb. I put 65% of this lose on the oline. There was no run game tonight and Wilson was under pressure all game long. Did he make some bad decisions, he77 yes and it sucked to watch! The whole game sucked to watch. Offense got an F, the special teams got an F. The defense I would give a solid A-. 13 points 13 freaking points and they lose. PATHETIC!
I would agree with you on the grades for the offense and special teams but I wouldn't give the defense a solid A-. I know SDSU only scored 13 points but I don't think they would have struggled to score 13 points even if BYU's defense wasn't even on the field, that is how pathetic SDSU is. The last drive of the first half was just pathetic for BYU's defense, they let SDSU push them around.

I know numbers wise it looks like BYU did a very good job of containing them but they let SDSU's QB complete 79% of his passes and no turnovers, I would only give them perhaps a B- at best, again because no real pressure on the QB and no take aways. Granted SDSU has some ridiculous low number, only 7 turnovers for the entire year, but it is hard to turn it over when you go 3 and out most of the time.

blue42
Senior

Post by blue42 »

I think Rocky Long took on the KW philosophy, dial up everything with the defense and just don't let the offense lose you the game, which is exactly what happened tonight.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

frdbtr wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:23 pm Wilson's PER in his last 3 starts
Umass 274
SDSU 101

Wilson had a PER of 126.80 against Idaho St, an FCS team that has defensive PER of 152.84 (or 154.43 in non-BYU games.

Wilson had a PER of 274.06 against UMass, the worst defensive team in FBS in a century. Their defensive PER is 178.28 (174.73)

Wilson had a PER last night of 101.03 against SDSU, a good defensive team, 113.41 (114.75).

In eight starts, Wilson had a better PER than opposing defenses in four of them. In 15 career starts he has a better PER in seven of them.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!