RB at BYU without Unga

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Y12
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

RB at BYU without Unga

Post by Y12 »

http://isportsweb.com/2010/05/19/runnin ... on-to-byu/

This article takes a look at what the BYU running back spot has to offer in 2010 now that Unga is gone.

snoscythe
Retired

Re: RB at BYU without Unga

Post by snoscythe »

Well, the article was positive, but that was about it. They mention Ronny Jenkins true freshman rushing record and state that if Quezada can beat it, he has a shot at unseating Unga, intimating he might outperform Unga when all is said and done, but they neglect that Harvey had 1200+ yards his redshirt freshman season, a bit more than Jenkins 700+. I guess Quezada could still best him with a 800 yard freshman season by the time his career is through, but it would only be because Harvey only played through his Junior season.

Again, good article, but it paints a picture that every back BYU has is without weakness and could be the next big thing.....I don't buy that--I am worried about the RB position this season.

Y12
Senior

Post by Y12 »

snoscythe wrote:Well, the article was positive, but that was about it. They mention Ronny Jenkins true freshman rushing record and state that if Quezada can beat it, he has a shot at unseating Unga, intimating he might outperform Unga when all is said and done, but they neglect that Harvey had 1200+ yards his redshirt freshman season, a bit more than Jenkins 700+. I guess Quezada could still best him with a 800 yard freshman season by the time his career is through, but it would only be because Harvey only played through his Junior season.

Again, good article, but it paints a picture that every back BYU has is without weakness and could be the next big thing.....I don't buy that--I am worried about the RB position this season.
You are correct in what you say, but you neglected that the author sets the bar at 8 wins. He doesn't point out negatives about the running backs (except they are still unknown commodities and can in no way replace Unga's intangibles), but if each was the next big thing then 8 wins is kind of low.

I am more worried about QB than running back. BYU has won 10+ games and conference championships without 1,000 yard rushers, but when we don't have good quarterback play we are mediocre.

Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Lawboy »

I am more concerned that this is the type of thing that could lead Bronco to decide he has had enough of BYU. It is not easy for any coach at BYU because of the added standards expected of players. Plus, less $$$. Just saying he could go elsewhere make more, and deal with less red tape related to his players.

sage
BLUEshirt

Post by sage »

Lawboy wrote:I am more concerned that this is the type of thing that could lead Bronco to decide he has had enough of BYU. It is not easy for any coach at BYU because of the added standards expected of players. Plus, less $$$. Just saying he could go elsewhere make more, and deal with less red tape related to his players.
All indications from Bronco are that he is very close to the type of coach who would want this environment, regardless if it was BYU or not. He wants to promote character, honor, integrity, values, morality, etc above sports. You don't place fb number five at other institutions and keep your job. He fits this place and this place fits him.

Y12
Senior

Post by Y12 »

sage wrote:
Lawboy wrote:I am more concerned that this is the type of thing that could lead Bronco to decide he has had enough of BYU. It is not easy for any coach at BYU because of the added standards expected of players. Plus, less $$$. Just saying he could go elsewhere make more, and deal with less red tape related to his players.
All indications from Bronco are that he is very close to the type of coach who would want this environment, regardless if it was BYU or not. He wants to promote character, honor, integrity, values, morality, etc above sports. You don't place fb number five at other institutions and keep your job. He fits this place and this place fits him.
I think Bronco is here for the long haul. Family won't let him leave for another job. Where else will he be able to leave the office everyday at 6:30, even during the season, and go home to the family. And don't forget their dream house up in Alpine. It fits their character to live there and would not want to leave it for anything else. While the money is less and the standards can keep you on your toes, there are other benefits that make it worth staying for. Coaching football is not all there is to life.

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

Y12 wrote:
snoscythe wrote:Well, the article was positive, but that was about it. They mention Ronny Jenkins true freshman rushing record and state that if Quezada can beat it, he has a shot at unseating Unga, intimating he might outperform Unga when all is said and done, but they neglect that Harvey had 1200+ yards his redshirt freshman season, a bit more than Jenkins 700+. I guess Quezada could still best him with a 800 yard freshman season by the time his career is through, but it would only be because Harvey only played through his Junior season.

You are correct in what you say, but you neglected that the author sets the bar at 8 wins. He doesn't point out negatives about the running backs (except they are still unknown commodities and can in no way replace Unga's intangibles), but if each was the next big thing then 8 wins is kind of low.

I am more worried about QB than running back. BYU has won 10+ games and conference championships without 1,000 yard rushers, but when we don't have good quarterback play we are mediocre.
I'll gladly take 8 wins right now... this is a bridge season where we wont' be embarassed (our secondary is good enough to ensure that and our oline is good enough to keep us competitive) but we will be relying on youth and in this case I'd rather rely on the youth to prepare them for the future than to put in some walk on juniors or seniors as a bandaid to ensure a win or two more.

Let's embrace this as a rebuilding season with some of the best young talent we've ever had, rather than get our hopes up when honestly what we have is a team in serious transition.

In our case, the transition will be bumpy, just expect that; but the results down the road will be great.

Air Force are licking their chops right now at having a transition team without Harvey (and having an extra week to prepare for us since we have UW before that) to open their season...

I dont' expect instant results and wouldn't be surprised by a very very slow start by these cougs.

nc-puma
Gray Shirt

Post by nc-puma »

prediction: we won't miss Unga at all from game 1 on.. Despite the records (which are at least partly a product of a change in system compared to older byu teams), I'm not a big Unga fan. He was powerful but sllloooow. We'll be fine with our current crew.

jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

At least we are stalked with talent and running back. Many of the other talented young running backs coming in are not even mentioned in the article.

Harvey being gone this year hurts us the most in terms of pressure on the new quarterback. it will feel completely different for him not having harvey their to rely on in the beginning of the season.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Unga had almost 1900 all-purpose yards as a freshman. There's no reason a new starter can't have amazing success at BYU. DiLuigi has the full package, and Quezada is a freak.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars