Offense

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
mormonrasta
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Offense

Post by mormonrasta »

ARod is calling plays

"Aaron Roderick’s debut calling plays from the booth bore some remarkable fruits.

Sure, offensive coordinator Jeff Grimes was on the sideline — and had a hand in some play-calling duties — but the Cougars busted open the playbook unlike any previous game, especially in the second half.

The passing game coordinator seemed to have all the tricks, including a flea flicker to Matt Bushman for his second touchdown of the game and an outside pitch from Romney to Sione Finau for a 47-yard scamper that was the longest run play of the season for BYU.

Yes, Grimes remains the offensive coordinator, at least full-time and in name. Sitake said the coaches called the game in a “collaborative” effort."

https://www.ksl.com/article/46658767/wi ... oise-state

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

byufan4ever wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:06 am
frdbtr wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:21 pm Yep, and in 2010, It was Doman calling the plays when the offense was playing well, and was the one who wanted Heaps to start, Anae wanted Nelson. At least that is what the "in the know" sources said back then. :whistle:
I don't think I've seen you mention that yet...What happened back in 2010 again?
Back in 2010 when everyone wanted Anae fired because the young and inexperienced offense wasn't scoring 40 points per game (it was averaging more than this years offense is), there were a couple of games against poor competition where the offense blew up and scored a ton. After those games, everyone was insisting that Brandon Doman (the QB coach) was now in charge of the offense and was calling the plays. Of course we know that in 2011 and 2012, the offense struggled under Doman as the Ocoordinator and he was fired. Its all just conspiracy and I am not buying it this time.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

So sean walker decided to print the conspiracy theory then? Was he in the coaches meetings? Do all QB coaches who sit up in the booth call all of the offensive plays? A lot of Ocoordinators stand on the sidelines. I am still not buying it. The media was printing this kind of crap in 2010 as well. Grimes may have gotten yelled at, and the offense is definitely more aggressive, but unless Sitake or Grimes announces to the the media that Roderick is now the Occordinator and he is motivator in chief for the Oline, then I am not buying it. Roderick was fired from the utes because his offenses sucked up there and we are now saying he is the offensive genius down here? really?

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by byufan4ever »

frdbtr wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:59 am
byufan4ever wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:06 am
frdbtr wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:21 pm Yep, and in 2010, It was Doman calling the plays when the offense was playing well, and was the one who wanted Heaps to start, Anae wanted Nelson. At least that is what the "in the know" sources said back then. :whistle:
I don't think I've seen you mention that yet...What happened back in 2010 again?
Back in 2010 when everyone wanted Anae fired because the young and inexperienced offense wasn't scoring 40 points per game (it was averaging more than this years offense is), there were a couple of games against poor competition where the offense blew up and scored a ton. After those games, everyone was insisting that Brandon Doman (the QB coach) was now in charge of the offense and was calling the plays. Of course we know that in 2011 and 2012, the offense struggled under Doman as the Ocoordinator and he was fired. Its all just conspiracy and I am not buying it this time.
I was actually joking. This is what the 3rd or 4th time I've read your opinion on this matter? You think Grimes and Tuaki are still calling the shots. I don't. It's fine to disagree. But even if I read about 2010 500 more times it won't change my opinion.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Maybe I keep saying it because the conspiracy theory keeps getting posted. I can't believe that anyone is buying this nonsense again. Do you think for one second that someone as competitive as Jeff Grimes is going to get demoted mid season and take it? Come on, lets get real here. He may have been chewed out by his head coach, there may have been some serious things said in the coaches meetings but Jeff Grimes is still the Ocoordinator and is calling the plays. If the conspiracy is for real and I see Grimes move on to another team as an Oline coach after the season, I might believe.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by byufan4ever »

Yes, yes, I do believe that ARod is calling the offense and Sitake the defense. Yes, I do.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by EM_Puma »

Honestly, I don't care if his dog Sparky is calling the game as long as they win. It would be interesting to understand the dynamics of how this all shakes down, but we'll eventually know.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Grimes could be a great OC, great at drawing up plays, great at coaching skills, great at recruiting, and not so great at play calling.

Assume ARod is calling the plays. ARod isn't coming up with new plays on the fly. ARod isn't re-writing the play book mid season. He is working from the offense and plays orchestrated by Grimes. Grimes just may not be as good at picking the right play in the circumstances as ARod.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Gunk wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:11 pm Grimes could be a great OC, great at drawing up plays, great at coaching skills, great at recruiting, and not so great at play calling.

Assume ARod is calling the plays. ARod isn't coming up with new plays on the fly. ARod isn't re-writing the play book mid season. He is working from the offense and plays orchestrated by Grimes. Grimes just may not be as good at picking the right play in the circumstances as ARod.
Or maybe Arod is seeing the field from the box better than Grimes was and is able to advise him on what he is seeing and what to call better. The only reason this conspiracy theory is around again is because of the massive change in the way the offense looks. Why weren't people claiming that Kwhit was calling the plays after the massive turn around's that the defenses at utah used to under go after Kwhit spent time with the defenses up there when Sitake's defenses were starting slow up there? The defensive and offensive Coordinators have not secretly changed. The real answer to what has happened is BYU finally woke up and maybe Sitake finally figured out how to get his team ready to play week to week and the team is now attacking like they should have been all along.

By the way Gunk, this whole post is not directed at you. I just quoted you because your comment got me thinking.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

frdbtr wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:54 pm
Gunk wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:11 pm Grimes could be a great OC, great at drawing up plays, great at coaching skills, great at recruiting, and not so great at play calling.

Or maybe Arod is seeing the field from the box better than Grimes was and is able to advise him on what he is seeing and what to call better. The only reason this conspiracy theory is around again is because of the massive change in the way the offense looks. Why weren't people claiming that Kwhit was calling the plays after the massive turn around's that the defenses at utah used to under go after Kwhit spent time with the defenses up there when Sitake's defenses were starting slow up there? The defensive and offensive Coordinators have not secretly changed. The real answer to what has happened is BYU finally woke up and maybe Sitake finally figured out how to get his team ready to play week to week and the team is now attacking like they should have been all along.

By the way Gunk, this whole post is not directed at you. I just quoted you because your comment got me thinking.
Well, glad I got you thinking.

I don't know what is going on. But things are noticeably different the last two games.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel