Rumored Staff Changes?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Rumored Staff Changes?

Post by Brayden Green »

hawkwing wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:09 am Anae called plays from the sidelines, he felt it gave him a better opportunity to interact with the players and correct issues that were going on. I'm not sure if Grimes was calling plays or not, I could see either way. The defense was clearly very different, different scheme, different play calls, different level of aggression - until the 4th quarter, at which time they reverted to the drop 8 into soft zone and rush 3 and quickly nearly gave up the game.

I did hear one of the players said that this last week was the first time they have had actual physical, hard practices all year. And I think that had a huge affect on the team.
And all of the trick plays were brought in this week too.

I think that - if not entirely - Arod and Kalani are having huge input to the playcalling and overall design.

I like it. I like it a lot.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

redneckjedi
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by redneckjedi »

I wouldn't necessarily chalk up the trick plays and aggressiveness to Arod. Grimes used to work for Les Miles, and some of that stuff looked like textbook Les Miles. The TD pass on 4th and 1 is as Mad Hattery as you can get! I mean, no, we didn't fake a field goal, but....maybe we should have? :)

Here's some examples of Les Miles' playcalling, and some of them are very similar to what we just saw:

If the yewts take the field and there are no BYU fans to pour beer on, will anybody come?
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

redneckjedi wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:43 am I wouldn't necessarily chalk up the trick plays and aggressiveness to Arod. Grimes used to work for Les Miles, and some of that stuff looked like textbook Les Miles. The TD pass on 4th and 1 is as Mad Hattery as you can get! I mean, no, we didn't fake a field goal, but....maybe we should have? :)

Here's some examples of Les Miles' playcalling, and some of them are very similar to what we just saw:

If A-Rod was making play calls, which I believe he was in the second half, he would have been calling the plays from Grimes' playbook, so the similarity to Miles' plays wouldn't really tell us anything. A-Rod was calling plays from the playbook, not creating new plays on the fly.

redneckjedi
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by redneckjedi »

Yeah, not saying there are different playbooks or plays. I'm talking about the aggressive decisions that fly in the face of conventional, conservative wisdom, like throwing on 4th and 1 or a double reverse flea flicker out of nowhere.

If the yewts take the field and there are no BYU fans to pour beer on, will anybody come?