Defensive Philosophy

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Defensive Philosophy

Post by byufan4ever »

Honest question: Have we been dropping 8 and rushing 3 as our standard defense for each of our first three games or was that really a game plan specific to USC to thwart their Air Raid?

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Defensive Philosophy

Post by hawkwing »

That has been standard.

EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by EM_Puma »

I'm curious if they have stayed with it primarily because of Khyris Tonga. You don't have a "good" rush from the 3, and the defense loses one of its 3 legs and topples because while the other two (on the defensive line) have done well, they're not performing to Tonga's level.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

hawkwing wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:52 am That has been standard.
Thanks. That's what I was thinking, but on BYU SN yesterday they kept going on and on about how Tuiaki made a great game plan for USC and that he was the MVP of the game. And the entire time I'm thinking, "Uh, isn't that our base defense and it just kinda worked against USC?" Thanks for clarifying. Sometimes those SN have no clue what they're talking about. I'm glad that we have some dedicated sports programming on TV, but I can only stand so much of it.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

It worked because they were able to get pressure with the 3. In years past, his 3 man rushes have resulted in big pass completions on 3rd and long plays.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

It was amazing how USC failed to double team Tonga, even on the few times they did, it really didn't help. He was destroying the pocket. Other teams have not had nearly as much trouble with the 3 man rush as USC did.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

I honestly hope that our genius gameplan is more than "let's drop 8 and just hope our front three (read Tonga) can get pressure."

If I remember correctly last game the first series or two after HT we did bring 4 and do some blitzes (maybe run blitzes?). Let's at least mix it up and try to be a bit unpredictable.

Also, was our pass defense switching between man and zone? Was there anything special that made our pass defense effictive other than we were dropping 8?

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

I think it's as simple as "Khyiris Tonga is tailor-made to go against a wide-gap Air Raid offensive line."

CrimsonCoug
Senior

Post by CrimsonCoug »

Yes, we play a 3-man front, but we did rush 4 several times--more in the USC game than in other games to my memory. One of the benefits of the 3-4 versus the 4-3 is that you can bring in an extra rusher from anywhere without compromising your backfield coverage or telegraphing pre-snap where the blitz is coming from or if it's coming at all. And BYU tends to do better at recruiting linebackers than D-Linemen. So I like it so long as we have the horses to get pressure on the QB and not give him all day.
And while Khyris is absolutely blowing up the middle, Devin Kaufusi has done a respectable job on the end--he just wasn't available the last half of the Tennessee game or the first half of the USC game because of the targeting penalty at TN.
Several of the pressures and sacks against USC were generated by the good coverage by the backfield and the fact that the offenses in our first three games see much more man defense than zone, which may have caused some confusion and hesitation by the quarterbacks--especially when they started throwing passes that were broken up or picked. So yeah, Tuiaki's base defense worked well against TN and USC, and really against Utah, too. Doesn't mean the embodied embarrassments at Sports Nation know what they're talking about, though.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK