Kalani Sitake ?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
CrimsonCoug
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Kalani Sitake ?

Post by CrimsonCoug »

frdbtr wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:43 pm
I agree. Beating USC in overtime is big but we just telegraphed to the rest of College football what defense that QB struggles with.
Maybe. But credit the coaches with devising a scheme to stop a guy that everyone on here was saying looked unstoppable 3 days ago. And credit the defense with making some big-time plays. Sheesh!

I've been a Sitake skeptic too (as a coach; he's a fantastic person), but give him and his staff and his team their due. The OC was just named coordinator of the week by a well-respected publication and the Defense found a way to make a guy coming of an 83% completion percentage versus Stanford look like a JV player.

This is a great win by the whole team. Not perfect. At. All. But gritty, gutsy, resilient, and emotive.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

Kalani is well past the point where one game will make or break the decision on whether he is extended or replaced.

I don't think he should have been fired after the Utah loss, and I don't think he should be extended based on the past two games. We've seen how wildly the pendulum swings in the past four years with KS, so I don't think a decision is made until the whole season plays out.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

snoscythe wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:04 pm Kalani is well past the point where one game will make or break the decision on whether he is extended or replaced.

I don't think he should have been fired after the Utah loss, and I don't think he should be extended based on the past two games. We've seen how wildly the pendulum swings in the past four years with KS, so I don't think a decision is made until the whole season plays out.
Agreed. And USC and UT may turn out to be "meh" wins anyway.
We'll see what admin thinks I suppose.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

snoscythe wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:04 pm Kalani is well past the point where one game will make or break the decision on whether he is extended or replaced.

I think Sitake should have been fired after the 2017 season. I am in wait and see mode. I am currently pretty happy with the way the team has looked these last 2 weeks. They actually look like a BYU football team, not a dazed and confused group that doesn't play with effort. If that continues to the end of the year, I might change my tune on Sitake. I have hoped for this for 3 years now because I was sick of seeing a badly coached team on the field. I feel you are in the same situation as me so this post is an answer to a few different comments on my opinions.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

BoiseBYU wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:59 pm
frdbtr wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:43 pm
KingCoug wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:43 pm
YNot wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:02 pm I'll take the 3 man rush if it delivers 2 sacks, 3 INTs, 5 TFL, and 5 pass deflections everyday of the week, except Sunday.

Now that Sitake and the coaching staff have firmly removed themselves from off the hot seat, I'm excited to see where this team can go. Pray for injury-free play against UW. We need to annihilate the Donkey Ewetes and the Dairy Ewetes this year!
I don't agree with removing them from the hot seat. Or especially with the dolts that are saying we should extend Sitake's contract. It was a big win but still only one win. Let's see how we do against Washington, Utah State and Boise State. Or where we finish at the end of the year for that matter.
I agree. Beating USC in overtime is big but we just telegraphed to the rest of College football what defense that QB struggles with. Sitake should not be renewed unless this team wins out or something close to that.
You are saying the team has to go 11-1 or 10-2 to be renewed?
If they do either, I would be for renewing his contract for a year. If they go 9-3 probably too, but if they end up 6-6 again, he should be fired, even with a bowl win. I was one person who thought the talk of firing Bronco after every Utah loss and an 8-5 independence season was ridiculous so I expect that kind of a result, which Sitake hasn't been able to match with his own recruits.

EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by EM_Puma »

I was ready and willing to let Kalani go after our 9th loss in a row to Utah. You have to have a coach that can scheme to beat your rival at least occasionally and KS has yet to do it. I'm still of that thought. I like KS personally, but while these last two games have given me hope, it hasn't convinced me that he can be the coach that can keep us on the right path. I'd sure like to know Holmoe's thoughts as it is very unusual, if his intention is to retain KS, that he has not seen any contract extension yet.

KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

BoiseBYU wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:59 pmYou are saying the team has to go 11-1 or 10-2 to be renewed?
As great as the USC win felt...

Under Sitake...

We are still barely above .500 (22-20).

We are 7-11 vs P5 teams.

We are 0-4 vs Utah.

We are 1-2 vs Utah State.

We are 0-3 vs Boise State.

Perspective, people.

For me, he would have to finish at least 10-3 (his best record yet, maybe 9-4), including beating Utah State and Boise State, for me to consider wanting him to stay.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

KingCoug wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:09 pm
BoiseBYU wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:59 pmYou are saying the team has to go 11-1 or 10-2 to be renewed?
As great as the USC win felt...

Under Sitake...

We are still barely above .500 (22-20).

We are 7-11 vs P5 teams.

We are 0-4 vs Utah.

We are 1-2 vs Utah State.

We are 0-3 vs Boise State.

Perspective, people.

For me, he would have to finish at least 10-3 (his best record yet, maybe 9-4), including beating Utah State and Boise State, for me to consider wanting him to stay.
If he loses to Utah state again this year I would be for letting him go no matter what else happens. BYU should not be #3 in this state.....ever.

ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

I don't get the "extend Sitake" push. The season has barely just started. BYU is 2 plays away from being 0-3. Yes the team has won these last two games, and yes, I watched and enjoyed both of those games, and yes there is good excitement to the program. But that's what he is being paid right now to do. He's not doing all of this for free.

My belief is that those who are pushing the "extend Sitake" conversation know good and well that it is not likely for Sitake to keep this good thing going, or else they would be content to let the process play out. In my mind, the absolute earliest that Sitake's contract status becomes an issue would be recruitment time i.e. right before the bowl game (If BYU goes to one). My thought is that the regular season will tell us all we need to know whether Sitake should keep his job. Right now I'm at "no" but trending up towards "possibly."

If BYU is able to Beat USU and BSU in my mind the question of whether Sitake has earned an extension would go to "probably" - if BYU wins only one of those and loses to Washington, then in my mind the extension decision is stuck at "possibly" Sitake would be 3-3 against the best part of our schedule with 4 of those games at home.

At least that's my two cents

KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

ABYUFAN wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:32 pm I don't get the "extend Sitake" push. The season has barely just started. BYU is 2 plays away from being 0-3. Yes the team has won these last two games, and yes, I watched and enjoyed both of those games, and yes there is good excitement to the program. But that's what he is being paid right now to do. He's not doing all of this for free.

My belief is that those who are pushing the "extend Sitake" conversation know good and well that it is not likely for Sitake to keep this good thing going, or else they would be content to let the process play out. In my mind, the absolute earliest that Sitake's contract status becomes an issue would be recruitment time i.e. right before the bowl game (If BYU goes to one). My thought is that the regular season will tell us all we need to know whether Sitake should keep his job. Right now I'm at "no" but trending up towards "possibly."

If BYU is able to Beat USU and BSU in my mind the question of whether Sitake has earned an extension would go to "probably" - if BYU wins only one of those and loses to Washington, then in my mind the extension decision is stuck at "possibly" Sitake would be 3-3 against the best part of our schedule with 4 of those games at home.

At least that's my two cents
It's a pure emotional response on their point after the USC win, combined with a short memory of the last 3 years.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director