Nick Emery wants to destroy BYU Basketball

BYU Cougars on the court.
EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Nick Emery wants to destroy BYU Basketball

Post by EM_Puma »

This whole situation took me by surprise. There had been attempts by media individuals when Pope took over to gauge the situation between Pope and Emery, especially after Toolson was added, and everyone seemed hunky dory. Now to learn that Pope pulled Emery's scholarship leaves me a bit blind sided. He didn't indicate that he had done such a thing and I don't appreciate being deceived. If you pull a scholie, then you pulled one. He has the right, but dang well better not attempt to lead us to understand something else. I've been taught that deception is just another name of a lie and I don't like being lied to.

It appears, and of course we're all guessing, that Pope told Emery he was off the team and he could retire peacefully or they would announce that he was gone. I'm not going to opine on whether I believe having Nick Emery this season would have been an advantage or not. To me it appeared he would, but I'll give the coach that final decision. I simply don't like being led down the road as a fan to believe the team has landed in Shangri La and everything is copacetic, when it's actually not.

I'm very disappointed in Nick Emery that he would post such a tweet. The young man has problems. We are all dealing with forgiving him for what he did to BYU MBB and then we have to see him attempt to scare off a potential future player. Wow. That burned his legacy and he really didn't have much. Had it not been for his brother Jackson and the great and respected player he was, we would have all jumped off the NE train long ago.

I hope we can just get this behind us now and move forward in a positive manner. This will leave some scars, but it doesn't need to be carried any further.

ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ABYUFAN »

I feel much better about this coaching staff after Emery’s Twitter fiasco. It was obvious last year that Nick Emery is a broken player - and may even be a broken person. Emery can find his healing away from the spotlight. Like others, I wonder if BYU would really have been docked 47 wins if they hadn't welcomed Emery back with open arms. It's nice that the new staff felt no allegiance to Emery and let him bow out gracefully and probably let him know that if it wasn't gracefully, it would be unceremoniously.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

ABYUFAN wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:02 am I feel much better about this coaching staff after Emery’s Twitter fiasco. It was obvious last year that Nick Emery is a broken player - and may even be a broken person. Emery can find his healing away from the spotlight. Like others, I wonder if BYU would really have been docked 47 wins if they hadn't welcomed Emery back with open arms. It's nice that the new staff felt no allegiance to Emery and let him bow out gracefully and probably let him know that if it wasn't gracefully, it would be unceremoniously.
Yeah, we will always wonder if that was one of the main motivators for the NCAA, that we had accepted him back.

Still, I have liked BYU's change in dealing with athletes that they are giving them more of a chance and not just kicking them out of the door. BYU holds some responsibility for having allowed access to NE as it had been noted that one or more of the boosters responsible had access to NE in the locker room. I know this wasn't a honor code issue as much as being a NCAA rules violation, but I want to allow these athletes to not end their careers if they make a mistake. Generally speaking, the mistakes you would make at 18-25 are a lot different than those you will make from 30-35.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Honestly we don't know the whole story, though NE vows to fill us all in on what "really" happened as if their is demand for his side of the story.

I don't see the deception on Pope's part. I really don't. If he pulled NE's scholarship, why does Pope need to inform all of us? It's his team. We aren't board members. We're not even share holders in this scenario. We're consumers.

It's not like Pope led us all to believe NE would get a scholarship and then NE had his scholarship yanked. I see no deception on Pope's part.

What I do see, and like, is a coach willing to make tough calls, draw lines, and hold them. I see a coach going after good players and trying to improve the team, even if that means showing other players the door. Pope inherited two NCAA violations courtesy of the previous coaching staff. As far as I am aware, these are the worst violations in school history. Rose should have cut ties with NE. Someone should have been on point to help and guide Childs. Now, Pope is left picking up all the pieces while also trying to re-establish BYU as a NCAA tourney contender.

If NE is doing and saying all these things publicly, imagine what he's saying and doing privately. Seriously, imagine what it would be like playing basketball with a guy like that. I suspect NE thinks and truly believed everyone likes and supports him on the team, but I wouldn't be surprised if in reality the team graciously endured NE.

In my career I have had co-workers that think everyone loves them when in reality no one wants to work with them and cheers when they leave. I wouldn't be surprised if behind closed doors players expressed pent up frustration about having NE around. A new coach/boss is a good opportunity to express grievences. Keep in mind, their win/lose records were affected too. They beat the #1 team in the nation and the win was erased from the books because NE wanted to go to Miley Cyrus concert with a 40 year old man.

Pope has to set a new, winning culture and he needs to do it straight out of the gate. A drama king like NE isn't worth the cost to the culture. If the choice was Toolson or NE, I pick Toolson every time in this scenario. If Toolson's demand for coming to BYU was that NE be shown the door, I accept that demand every time and see nothing shady or deceptive about it.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
BlueK
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BlueK »

About Childs, I still think it was more about him not hiring the right agent for one, and also maybe being a little careless with the NCAA regs because he didn't have any intention of coming back until the last minute.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Gunk wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:20 am Honestly we don't know the whole story, though NE vows to fill us all in on what "really" happened as if their is demand for his side of the story.

I don't see the deception on Pope's part. I really don't. If he pulled NE's scholarship, why does Pope need to inform all of us? It's his team. We aren't board members. We're not even share holders in this scenario. We're consumers.

It's not like Pope led us all to believe NE would get a scholarship and then NE had his scholarship yanked. I see no deception on Pope's part.

What I do see, and like, is a coach willing to make tough calls, draw lines, and hold them. I see a coach going after good players and trying to improve the team, even if that means showing other players the door. Pope inherited two NCAA violations courtesy of the previous coaching staff. As far as I am aware, these are the worst violations in school history. Rose should have cut ties with NE. Someone should have been on point to help and guide Childs. Now, Pope is left picking up all the pieces while also trying to re-establish BYU as a NCAA tourney contender.

If NE is doing and saying all these things publicly, imagine what he's saying and doing privately. Seriously, imagine what it would be like playing basketball with a guy like that. I suspect NE thinks and truly believed everyone likes and supports him on the team, but I wouldn't be surprised if in reality the team graciously endured NE.

In my career I have had co-workers that think everyone loves them when in reality no one wants to work with them and cheers when they leave. I wouldn't be surprised if behind closed doors players expressed pent up frustration about having NE around. A new coach/boss is a good opportunity to express grievences. Keep in mind, their win/lose records were affected too. They beat the #1 team in the nation and the win was erased from the books because NE wanted to go to Miley Cyrus concert with a 40 year old man.

Pope has to set a new, winning culture and he needs to do it straight out of the gate. A drama king like NE isn't worth the cost to the culture. If the choice was Toolson or NE, I pick Toolson every time in this scenario. If Toolson's demand for coming to BYU was that NE be shown the door, I accept that demand every time and see nothing shady or deceptive about it.
it certainly reveals a lot about the last couple years performance.
It sounds like a toxic environment. No wonder guys like Mika, Childs, Bryant were all bailing as soon as they knew they had a place to land.
I wouldn't be surprised to see a whole different BYU basketball team this year. Kudos coach Pope.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

Gunk wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:20 am I don't see the deception on Pope's part. I really don't. If he pulled NE's scholarship, why does Pope need to inform all of us? It's his team. We aren't board members. We're not even share holders in this scenario. We're consumers.
Excuse me, but agree to disagree. The ONLY reason college sports exist in this day and age is because of what money fans bring (consumers). No consumers, no sports. It's as much your team and my team as it is Pope's. Fans aren't there then neither is Pope. He's the caretaker, the manager of the entity that we support.

Granted, we don't need to know of all the disciplinary issues, although we'd like to so we could understand more what we see happening, but that's not our place. Yet, when a coach is interviewed and asked about the situation between him, the school, and a particular player, I expect, if he's gone to the degree to pull the person's scholie, than he doesn't just start whistling and saying everything is wonderful.

Did Nick Emery retire from BYU basketball as we were told? Well...maybe on paper, but it seems like facts strongly indicate now that he didn't.

I'm not saying that it wasn't right to pull his scholarship for issues that Pope knows and I don't, I just simply do not not like being led to believe something that actually was apparently only window dressing.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Point of clarification, Emery did not have a scholarship when Pope joined the staff. He was a walk-on last year, and although Dave Rose had indicated he'd let Emery walk-on and then give him a scholarship the next year if he earned it, he neither earned being made a scholarship player last year, and Dave Rose retired and was not in charge of scholarship decisions for this year.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

EM_Puma wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:58 pm Excuse me, but agree to disagree. The ONLY reason college sports exist in this day and age is because of what money fans bring (consumers). No consumers, no sports. It's as much your team and my team as it is Pope's. Fans aren't there then neither is Pope. He's the caretaker, the manager of the entity that we support.

Granted, we don't need to know of all the disciplinary issues, although we'd like to so we could understand more what we see happening, but that's not our place. Yet, when a coach is interviewed and asked about the situation between him, the school, and a particular player, I expect, if he's gone to the degree to pull the person's scholie, than he doesn't just start whistling and saying everything is wonderful.

Did Nick Emery retire from BYU basketball as we were told? Well...maybe on paper, but it seems like facts strongly indicate now that he didn't.

I'm not saying that it wasn't right to pull his scholarship for issues that Pope knows and I don't, I just simply do not not like being led to believe something that actually was apparently only window dressing.
What "facts" are those?

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

I'm now on his ex's side.