Interesting Admission Coming from NCAA-Emery Case

BYU Cougars on the court.
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Interesting Admission Coming from NCAA-Emery Case

Post by snoscythe »

I don't know if anyone has pointed this factoid out before, but I stumbled across it today while reviewing the original Nov 2018 NCAA decision.

In a footnote on page 14 they discuss the sanction of reducing the number of official visits that the program can make from 2017-2020. In that footnote is a startling admission by BYU Basketball:
NCAA decision wrote:BYU informed the panel that it had only used one official visit during the 2017-18 academic year.
Whoa. If that's the extent of recruiting that Rose was doing, he was a few years too late in retiring.

BroncoBot
Retired

Re: Interesting Admission Coming from NCAA-Emery Case

Post by BroncoBot »

lol. why tell the NCAA that?? Is there anything BYU isn't willing to just offer up to the NCAA?

EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by EM_Puma »

Because everyone else must have come on "unofficial" visits, as is common. I don't think I'd put too much stock on that as to be "telling" of DR not recruiting effectively. There would be no reason, if an official visit was in order, that DR wouldn't have pulled the trigger.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

EM_Puma wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:53 pm Because everyone else must have come on "unofficial" visits, as is common. I don't think I'd put too much stock on that as to be "telling" of DR not recruiting effectively. There would be no reason, if an official visit was in order, that DR wouldn't have pulled the trigger.
Yeah, but the difference is more than that:

Official Visits
Transportation to/from/during visit may be paid for by the college
College can pay for lodging for athletes and parents
College can pay for or provide three meals per day for athletes and parents
College can pay for "reasonable entertainment expenses"
College can provide three tickets to a home sports event

Unofficial Visits
The only thing the college can provide is up to three tickets to a home sports event--everything else must be paid for by the student and/or their parents

To think that during an entire recruiting cycle the Basketball program only rolled out the royal blue carpet for one recruit is mind-bottling.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

I think that is telling.

Instead of attempting to woe a recruit we took them Chuck a Rama.

BYU/DR were probably like, if we have to woe a player that means they are spoiled or don't buy into the BYU mission.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

Probably reading too much into it. How many scholarships were available that year? It seems that was in the middle of the scholarship crunch.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by EM_Puma »

BlueK wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:10 am Probably reading too much into it. How many scholarships were available that year? It seems that was in the middle of the scholarship crunch.
That's kind of what I was indicating. I don't view DR as a fool whatsoever and if he needed to use an official visit, there is no way he wouldn't have done it. Why wouldn't he? Doesn't make sense unless you imagine the scholie crunch that was probably affecting that moment.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

EM_Puma wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:16 am
BlueK wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:10 am Probably reading too much into it. How many scholarships were available that year? It seems that was in the middle of the scholarship crunch.
That's kind of what I was indicating. I don't view DR as a fool whatsoever and if he needed to use an official visit, there is no way he wouldn't have done it. Why wouldn't he? Doesn't make sense unless you imagine the scholie crunch that was probably affecting that moment.
There's a two-year recruiting window. Coaches can recruit juniors and seniors -- this means that BYU only had one official visit during a one-year span in which they would be recruiting for both the 2018 and 2019 graduating classes.

That's just one kid for two graduating classes they thought enough of to buy him a dinner while he was in town.

I can't believe our "scholarship crunch" was that dire.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

If you have 3 spots, you should probably be wining and dining 10 kids.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

A coach should always be wining and dining players even in a scholarship crunch. A coach should always be trying to get better players on the team.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel