And football season is over...

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: And football season is over...

Post by Gunk »

Academic standards need to be lowered. As long as the students graduate, who cares what their GPA is. Any other student can average C's and D's and still graduate.

As for the HC, I have long been an advocate that the HC should be nothing more than the temple recommend questions, minus the faith questions. All this stuff about attire, beards, and haircuts needs to go away.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
a1247
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by a1247 »

Gunk wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:45 am Academic standards need to be lowered. As long as the students graduate, who cares what their GPA is. Any other student can average C's and D's and still graduate.

As for the HC, I have long been an advocate that the HC should be nothing more than the temple recommend questions, minus the faith questions. All this stuff about attire, beards, and haircuts needs to go away.
This is exactly what needs to happen! Well said.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

byufan4ever wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:29 am
KingCoug wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:58 am
a1247 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:46 am This goes deeper then just coaching and TH. If BYU wants to compete they will need lower the academic standards for athletes. I don't care if an athlete had a 3.0 or 2.0 GPA why should anyone else. They are there to play football why should it matter to anyone what their GPA is? And go ahead and start the freak out music but the honor code needs to change. Everyone can say what they want but the honor code is what kept BYU out of the BIG12. I know pretty much everyone on here won't like my opinion and I don't care.
We don't need to sell out to be successful. But more money does need to be invested across the board. And we need smarter scheduling.
We don't need to sell out but we don't need to shoot ourselves in the foot either. Our athlete academic standards are up there with Stanford. Do we really need both that and the strict honor code? To be completely honest IMO BYU is no where near Stanford's academic level anyways so I think we're trying to be something that we are not.
Their academic standards were put in place after 2004 specifically as a recruiting restriction. I agree they should be relaxed for athletes. I don't care if some people complain about that. BYU was a proud and great program, It is languishing in mediocrity and it was done on purpose.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Brayden Green »

After the Bernard pick 6 one of the annoying Ute fans behind us (seriously, I'm having a conversation with the season ticket holders behind usnext home game. I dont care if you sell your tickets, but if you sell to an opposing fan one more time I'm bringing a chair that leans back so far I'll be resting the back of my head in your navel).

Anyways, the puke behind us stands up and yells "Keep kicking them out, and we'll keep starting them!" And that was the perfect statement to make. Why are we doing Utah's development for them? We scout these kids for 3 years, roster them for 2, and then kick them out because they are young and dumb. Guess what, so are all the married ones! They just happen to be stupid in different ways. 18-22 year old me was a pretty upstanding citizen, but I didn't have a clue about life and my role inside of it at that age. And I had two parents and a rule-focused upbringing. These kids need a way back that doesn't involve public exposure and rampant speculation.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Brayden Green wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:33 pm After the Bernard pick 6 one of the annoying Ute fans behind us (seriously, I'm having a conversation with the season ticket holders behind usnext home game. I dont care if you sell your tickets, but if you sell to an opposing fan one more time I'm bringing a chair that leans back so far I'll be resting the back of my head in your navel).

Anyways, the puke behind us stands up and yells "Keep kicking them out, and we'll keep starting them!" And that was the perfect statement to make. Why are we doing Utah's development for them? We scout these kids for 3 years, roster them for 2, and then kick them out because they are young and dumb. Guess what, so are all the married ones! They just happen to be stupid in different ways. 18-22 year old me was a pretty upstanding citizen, but I didn't have a clue about life and my role inside of it at that age. And I had two parents and a rule-focused upbringing. These kids need a way back that doesn't involve public exposure and rampant speculation.
I agree. I don't think kids should be kicked out of school for the honor code at all unless they are serial serious offenders. Handle stuff like that within the team structure and then hire a coach that will maintain discipline.

McY
BLUEshirt

Post by McY »

KingCoug wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:06 pm

And Sitake? Time to go husk some cocanuts you stupid island bumpkin.

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
I am a little late in responding here but wanted to note that first of all, neither cocanuts nor coconuts are all that easy to husk. Second of all, it’s “pumpkin,” not bumpkin. Jk. :lol:

But seriously, can we please refrain from hurling personal insults towards our own coaching staff? I get we are angry and this is a place to vent. But we ought to leave the personal insults out of it.

I echo many of the sentiments of disappointment in losing. It’s horrible. It’s a shame. It’s a tragedy. This loss was embarrassing. Many points made on cc about staffing issues are legitimate and it appears changes will need to be made if we are to obtain a different outcome than the last 9 years. I love BYU football and still hope to see some fun games this year. Hope springs eternal.

BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

McY wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:15 am

I am a little late in responding here but wanted to note that first of all, neither cocanuts nor coconuts are all that easy to husk. Second of all, it’s “pumpkin,” not bumpkin. Jk. :lol:

But seriously, can we please refrain from hurling personal insults towards our own coaching staff? I get we are angry and this is a place to vent. But we ought to leave the personal insults out of it.

I echo many of the sentiments of disappointment in losing. It’s horrible. It’s a shame. It’s a tragedy. This loss was embarrassing. Many points made on cc about staffing issues are legitimate and it appears changes will need to be made if we are to obtain a different outcome than the last 9 years. I love BYU football and still hope to see some fun games this year. Hope springs eternal.
Thank you for responding to KingCoug’s offensive post.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

McY wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:15 am

Definitely below the belt.

I get the frustration, but name calling and such personal attacks is unbecoming of CC or any sports forum in general.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
McY
BLUEshirt

Post by McY »

BooseBYU: It had to be called out.

Gunk: Exactly.

KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

None of you guys have a sense of humor.

And it is "bumpkin."

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director