Yoeli Child's suspended for 9 games for paperwork snafu

BYU Cougars on the court.
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Yoeli Child's suspended for 9 games for paperwork snafu

Post by snoscythe »

NCAA folks are informing that the length of the suspension was more about the other violations beyond the "paperwork snafu" -- he also received impermissible benefits during the time period, and he was at a school that was just dinged for impermissible benefits, so they wanted to hit him hard for not learning to keep his nose clean after Emery.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

snoscythe wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:32 pm NCAA folks are informing that the length of the suspension was more about the other violations beyond the "paperwork snafu" -- he also received impermissible benefits during the time period, and he was at a school that was just dinged for impermissible benefits, so they wanted to hit him hard for not learning to keep his nose clean after Emery.
From what I'd understood, those benefits were totally permissible had the paperwork been done correctly. Kids are allowed now to hire an agent, have them provide certain things for free, and then withdraw and return to school. I thought that included coaching, food, travel, etc (everything it would take to get ready with professional help for the draft). I'm no expert on basketball rules though, and certainly not the new ones.

I do know Yoeli paid back everything they said wasn't done properly or in the right order. I thought the main rub was that he started receiving benefits from his agent before his paperwork had been finalized by the NCAA, not because any of those benefits in-and-of themselves were off-limits to those testing the waters of the NBA.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

I wonder if his agent was NCAA-certified and if the new NCAA rule that agents do not have to have a college degree are related?

Was Yeoli's agent certified? Did he have a degree? Is that in part why his paperwork wasn't accepted? HOw many other agents didn't have degrees? Were there other players this year who failed to have paperwork accepted? This would be a good story for a reporter to dig deeper into.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by EM_Puma »

YoungOne over at CougarBoard suggested we all do something about it and provided this contact info. I did and wrote a letter this morning and just walked it out the mail box. Probably won't do anything, but not doing anything was certainly not going to help the cause one iota.

Do something yourself and be heard.

The National Collegiate Athletic Association
700 W. Washington Street
P.O. Box 6222
Indianapolis, Indiana 46206-6222
Phone: 317-917-6222
Fax: 317-917-6888

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

I work for a small company and the amount of robo calls we get daily is crazy. I wonder what it would take to Jimmer this and set up a robo call to the NCAA number with a message about Yoeli? Let it hound them all week long!

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

There was a petion being done. I signed it

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

scott715 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:23 am There was a petion being done. I signed it
Where was it?

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

snoscythe wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:32 pm NCAA folks are informing that the length of the suspension was more about the other violations beyond the "paperwork snafu" -- he also received impermissible benefits during the time period, and he was at a school that was just dinged for impermissible benefits, so they wanted to hit him hard for not learning to keep his nose clean after Emery.
Yesterday on the radio (960 ESPN) Criddle had former Coach Tim Lacomb on and asked him if this could have happened because Yoeli announced his departure the day after Rose's retirement leaving him with no proper support to guide him at that point. Lacomb agreed that it could have contributed and had the whole staff not been cleaning out their offices, they could have helped. In fact, he said that Yoeli asked if his agent could come meet with him in Lacomb's office and he told them he could, since it was cleared out. This just isn't right and I think more "stink" needs to be raised with the NCAA. I saw that Jay Bilas's tweet about this only had 1.3K retweets and that's not going to get very far.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

http://ipt.io/DYNHL

Here’s the petition.

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

The NCAA takes it greatest vengeance on those it knows won’t or can’t fight back effectively. And then pats itself in the back for looking tough. We literally have schools committing fraud and bribes that are walking free and they do this to Yoeli. It is a captured institution scared to death at upsetting the big boys. Pathetic. Utterly pathetic.