Pope's Assistants

BYU Cougars on the court.
EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Pope's Assistants

Post by EM_Puma »

Well...as I said...this is the stuff thats make BYU look dysfunctional that that many people have to be part of a process--it is totally asinine. I understand it a bit more when you're picking a HC, but not assistants. They don't have that many people review callings for a bishop or stake president for heavens sake.

Look out if they ever lose a HC during a season. The season could be over by the time they got around to getting all these loony ducks in a row.

I'm sorry, but I just don't do stupid very well.
Last edited by EM_Puma on Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

I know several people hired on as professors at BYU. It wasn't just gauntlet of interviews. BYU took their sweet time getting offer letters together, signings, moving packages, etc.

I two guys that basically had to get started on their curriculum and syllabuses because the semester was starting soon and they hadn't even received their official offer letters.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by byufan4ever »

And I had the opposite experience when switching companies and moving from MO to UT. From applicaiton to two interviews to job offer was about a month and then they wanted me to start in about 3 weeks and I had to actually push back on them saying I needed more time to get my house ready to sell and move across the country plus it was almost Christmas time and we already had plans to drive to the East from MO.

When a company is motivated, usually by profits, they move very quickly. Non-profit orgs like the government or schools, don't have that type of motivation. Why should they move quickly?

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Judging by recent articles (especially Jay Drew's article yesterday) and Pope's interviews with media, it sounds like his preference is to bring all his assistants over from UVU and they are just waiting on them to clear the interview process.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

snoscythe wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:57 am Judging by recent articles (especially Jay Drew's article yesterday) and Pope's interviews with media, it sounds like his preference is to bring all his assistants over from UVU and they are just waiting on them to clear the interview process.
One from Portland.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

Mars wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:07 am
snoscythe wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:57 am Judging by recent articles (especially Jay Drew's article yesterday) and Pope's interviews with media, it sounds like his preference is to bring all his assistants over from UVU and they are just waiting on them to clear the interview process.
One from Portland.
Appears that way and I'm okay with it, especially is Quincy Lewis is saying he won't accept an assistant's position. Otherwise, I'd like him to have stayed.

Sammich
Senior

Post by Sammich »

hawkwing wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:35 am I know someone who got a job at BYU and the hiring process took a few months. It was a professional position (not a student job) but it wasn't anything glamorous. It was in the library. BYU just moves slowly because they don't see the need to move faster.
I work at BYU and I've had to push two different people through the hiring process in the last couple of years. It's not just the fact that they don't see the need to move faster. There's an enormous amount of red tape at BYU and everything has to be approved by certain groups that meet a limited number of times per year. The bureaucratic bloat at BYU is not much different than most schools, but the specific ways that bloat manifests itself is sometimes mind-boggling. And like many bureaucracies, it is an impenetrable system, and unlikely to change.

vancouvercougar
All-American

Post by vancouvercougar »

Would the Pope’s assistants be called Cardinals??

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

Hell's bells! It will have been two weeks tomorrow since Pope was put at the helm and he said he'd been already working on the assistants situation that prior week. Let's get this process finished. I'll be really PO'd if Mark Madsen announces his assistants before Pope does, but, if he did, it would tell us a bit more about Burgess and Fueger.

I don't remember this situation when Dave Rose was hired. I don't know if I cared as much about the assistants as I do now.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Madsen may be going after some of the same assistants.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel