Yoeli Childs - Is he going?

BYU Cougars on the court.
Qman
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Yoeli Childs - Is he going?

Post by Qman »

If Yoeli came back to BYU, got cut up and lot 10 pounds. Then with improve athletic ability he might have a chance of being drafted. The problem is that successful NBA players his size can make step back 3's and run pick and rolls. He is a long way from that kind of skill development. And he would have to show he can guard guards on the perimeter. But you are right it is a long shot.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

hawkwing wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:18 am
frdbtr wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:14 pm Does anyone in their right mind think Jimmer would have been drafted, let alone been a lottery pick, if he had come out after his Jr season? Not a chance. Yoeli is not going to be drafted, not even in the second round. IMO this is a bad move for him unless his dream is to play over seas. I wish him well, but I just really feel this is a bad move.
Does anyone really think Yoeli would come back for a year and get drafted next year?

I agree it's a bad move, but not because of draft or basketball reasons, but because he's giving up a year of free education. He'll never get drafted, regardless of how long he stays at BYU.
Imo, if Childs developed a reliable 3 point (college distance) shot, he could have a chance at the NBA. With his size and quickness level, he will never be an NBA post man but with a reliable outside shot he would have a chance. So in other words, if Childs stayed one more year and came out next year and tore up the WCC with his current game and shot 40% from 3, I think he could be drafted.

CrimsonCoug
Senior

Post by CrimsonCoug »

On BYU Sports Nation he said he and his wife went to the temple and felt they should move forward on the draft.
On paper, I don't think this is the right move, but I respect him for going about the decision the right way, and I respect the answers he feels he received.
Nothing but good wishes for Yoeli. I'm happy for him and hoping he finds success--in ball and life!

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

CrimsonCoug wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:31 am On BYU Sports Nation he said he and his wife went to the temple and felt they should move forward on the draft.
On paper, I don't think this is the right move, but I respect him for going about the decision the right way, and I respect the answers he feels he received.
Nothing but good wishes for Yoeli. I'm happy for him and hoping he finds success--in ball and life!
I agree. I feel I can comment on a message board that I disagree with his decision and still wish him well in his next endeavor.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by byufan4ever »

Childs had a workout with the Sacramento Kings.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Fido »

????????

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Lots of rumors floating around right now that he is coming back.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

So when Pope was hired, I commented that his number 1 recruiting priority was talking Childs into staying one more year. Looks like he did it. This is the best BYU basketball news we have had since Rose talked Jimmer into staying for his Sr year. Good job to the new coach.