Will MWC become the 7th AQ conference in the BCS?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.

Will the MWC become the 7th AQ conference after the evaluation period that ends in 2011

Yes -- With the 9 current teams
30%
No -- With the 9 current teams
10%
Yes -- ONLY by adding Boise St.
40%
No -- Cause the frUTES left for greener pastures
20%

Total votes: 20

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Will MWC become the 7th AQ conference in the BCS?

Post by snoscythe »

Mingjai wrote:
33311710 wrote:
BYUBALLIN wrote:in my honest opinion utah is not going any place without BYU and vice verse. BYU vs Utah is one of the best rivalries out there.
If the Pac-10 offers Utah, they're GONE - with or without BYU. Rivalry or no. And they'd be stupid not to go. (then again, who ever accused the :utard: of being smart?)

Just like if the Pac-10 invited BYU, but not Utah. Same story.
I don't really buy that--it's easier for Utah/TCU/BSU/BYU to get into the BCS as the at-large AQ than it is to get in as the AQ from the Pac 10. They'd be better off in the MWC as an elite MWC team than they'd be as an mid- to upper-tier Pac 10 team, especially if the MWC champ was granted AQ status.

But I think the BCS will only grant the MWC champ AQ status if BSU is a member of the MWC. Otherwise BSU will still remain a thorn in the BCS's side. The really interesting question is if BSU thinks the MWC is likely to get AQ status, would they still want to join the MWC. They've shown that they can get into the BCS just fine as a member of the WAC.
If you are in a BCS conference, it doesn't matter. It's milllions upon millions of dollars more flowing into your coffers each year regardless of your on the field performance.

It has nothing to do with winning games, much less championships. It's all about the benjamins.

Y 4 Ever
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Will MWC become the 7th AQ conference in the BCS?

Post by Y 4 Ever »

Mingjai wrote:
33311710 wrote:
BYUBALLIN wrote:in my honest opinion utah is not going any place without BYU and vice verse. BYU vs Utah is one of the best rivalries out there.
If the Pac-10 offers Utah, they're GONE - with or without BYU. Rivalry or no. And they'd be stupid not to go. (then again, who ever accused the :utard: of being smart?)

Just like if the Pac-10 invited BYU, but not Utah. Same story.
I don't really buy that--it's easier for Utah/TCU/BSU/BYU to get into the BCS as the at-large AQ than it is to get in as the AQ from the Pac 10. They'd be better off in the MWC as an elite MWC team than they'd be as an mid- to upper-tier Pac 10 team, especially if the MWC champ was granted AQ status.
The BCS doesn't matter. It's all about the cash. Utah (or BYU for that matter) will make MORE money just by being a member of the Pac-10 - even if they go to NO bowl game - than they have EVER made before - even in the years where they went to a BCS bowl game.

If the ultimate goal is just to get to a BCS bowl game, then you're right, staying in the MWC makes more sense. But since the goal is MONEY, and to a lesser extent, prestige, if the pac-10 comes calling, :utard: will be "off like a prom dress".

And if the Big-12 came a-knocking on BYU's door - we'd dump the MWC YESTERDAY.