Drew Philips state track championships

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
BigCougsFan
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Drew Philips state track championships

Post by BigCougsFan »

We could probably use this future Cougar's speed as well. Think she'll want to play on the football team???
Breaking state records is quickly becoming second nature to Aubrey Hale.

Once again, the Brighton senior showed her dominance as a sprinter by winning the 100 meters in a time of 11.85 seconds on Saturday afternoon during the final day of the 100th annual BYU Invitational.

Hale not only beat a record she set two weeks ago, she shattered her previous best mark of 11.93 seconds.
http://cougarfan.com/article.asp?ArtID= ... d=10628366

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

BigCougsFan wrote:We could probably use this future Cougar's speed as well. Think she'll want to play on the football team???

Once again, the Brighton senior showed her dominance as a sprinter by winning the 100 meters in a time of 11.85 seconds on Saturday afternoon during the final day of the 100th annual BYU Invitational.

Hale not only beat a record she set two weeks ago, she shattered her previous best mark of 11.93 seconds.
that's a blazing 100 for a female; and I'm sure she'd put some of our oline to shame.

BerliNY
All-American

Post by BerliNY »

craigoscarson wrote:
BigCougsFan wrote:We could probably use this future Cougar's speed as well. Think she'll want to play on the football team???

that's a blazing 100 for a female; and I'm sure she'd put some of our oline to shame.
Yeah, ... uh ... I mean ... I'd beat her, but those O-lineman should be ashamed. I haven't run a timed sprint in quite a while (ok, I haven't run in a while period) but I'd be shocked if I came anywhere close to 11.93 for 100.

Loyal Strong True
BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

hello2trouble wrote:
kiwibacon wrote:Now I really like Drew Phillips. I ran 48.8 in the 400 in High School. I never ran in College because I just lost interest after my mission.
Wow! That's great Kiwibacon. Thanks for sharing that with us! You were a real speedster in high school! We recognize your efforts and talent.
Wow! hello2trouble! Thanks for the insightful post! You are so clever and witty! I always! !ook forward to what you have to say!

redneckjedi
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by redneckjedi »

If we assume she instantaneously accelerated to her average speed over those 12 seconds and then stayed at that speed the whole race, she'd have a 4.34 40 yard dash. Not bad, if that were physically possible.

But it's not. So, assuming her acceleration is proportional to Usain Bolt's (who ran a 4.35 in his first 40 meters, on his way to breaking the world record in the 100m), she would run a 5.33 40. I once ran about that with a double quad strain in HS, and I was no sprinter. 5.33 puts you on the slow side of the offensive lineman 40 scale - our top 3 o-line prospects for 2011 with listed 40 times run 4.98, 5.4, and 5.06.

Also, linebackers would love to hit her. :evil:

Data for Bolt's '08 record-breaking run:
http://speedendurance.com/2009/08/06/40 ... n-johnson/

If the yewts take the field and there are no BYU fans to pour beer on, will anybody come?
hello2trouble
Gray Shirt

Post by hello2trouble »

BoiseBYU wrote:
hello2trouble wrote:
kiwibacon wrote:Now I really like Drew Phillips. I ran 48.8 in the 400 in High School. I never ran in College because I just lost interest after my mission.
Wow! That's great Kiwibacon. Thanks for sharing that with us! You were a real speedster in high school! We recognize your efforts and talent.
Wow! hello2trouble! Thanks for the insightful post! You are so clever and witty! I always! !ook forward to what you have to say!
The feeling's mutual my friend!

kiwibacon
All-American

Post by kiwibacon »

craigoscarson wrote:
Looks like he actually ran a 48.58 40 and he just announced in facebook that his team won the 4x4 state championship too.
Congrats to Phillips and his team. That is quite an accomplishment. Do you know what their 4x4 time was?

hello2trouble
Gray Shirt

Post by hello2trouble »

craigoscarson wrote:
Looks like he actually ran a 48.58 40 and he just announced in facebook that his team won the 4x4 state championship too.
Too bad about the 48.5 time for Kiwibacon. That sure will take the wind out of his sails. I wonder if he still likes this kid or maybe he's stewing, green with envy.
Last edited by hello2trouble on Wed May 05, 2010 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

hello2trouble wrote:
craigoscarson wrote:
Too bad about the 48.5 time for Kiwibacon. That sure will take the wind out of his sails. I wonder if he still likes this kid or maybe he's stewing green with envy.
I'm more worried about Drew Philips feeling faster than some old honk on a sports chat site :P Kiwi can handle the letdown ;)

Those tenths of seconds are a big deal in sprints though, there is is a difference.