CJ Alatini to Snow College?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

CJ Alatini to Snow College?

Post by snoscythe »

Heard that CJ Alatini (our #2 recruit) cannot academically qualify for any FBS school right now and is probably headed to Snow College.

Anyone else heard anything?

Not landing him drops our recruiting class ~12 places to ~#91.

Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: CJ Alatini to Snow College?

Post by Fido »

I was hearing that is why he didn't sign early. He may have to prove himself at Snow grades-wise and transfer later if it works out.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

I wonder when the last time was that we got a recruit back when they had to go to Snow first.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

frdbtr wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:16 am I wonder when the last time was that we got a recruit back when they had to go to Snow first.
Especially one that couldn't make the basic requirement of a 2.3 GPA in core courses in high school.

It's not that Alatini didn't make BYU's more stringent standard (3.3 GPA with 19 ACT) -- he didn't make the lower floor to play at ANY D-1 school---Dixie State isn't even an option.

Not holding my breath that he qualifies for BYU after Snow.

jvquarterback
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by jvquarterback »

Where did you see those numbers for BYU?

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

jvquarterback wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:54 pm Where did you see those numbers for BYU?
I've actually heard it's 3.5 now (increased during Bronco's couple of seasons), but I went with 3.3 because it's the only one I could verify through a reputable source--in this case, the Deseret News:

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/700 ... emics.html

Should be noted that the numbers are "flexible", but only with give-and-take. If you have a higher GPA, you can have a slightly lower ACT score and vice versa.

Sammich
Senior

Post by Sammich »

I work at BYU, and I can confirm the give-take thing, and I’ll also add that it IS possible to throw your weight around and get BYU to admit someone that doesn’t pass its usual standards, but then you (if you’re the head of their area of study) take on 100% responsibility for their academic success and your program has to support them financially as well. The paperwork and follow-up is a huge pain, and we’ve been burnt before for getting talented people into our program that couldn’t succeed at BYU academically. So when you see a case like this, it means that not only a lack of confidence by the BYU administration, but a lack of confidence by the coaches.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Sammich wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:58 am I work at BYU, and I can confirm the give-take thing, and I’ll also add that it IS possible to throw your weight around and get BYU to admit someone that doesn’t pass its usual standards, but then you (if you’re the head of their area of study) take on 100% responsibility for their academic success and your program has to support them financially as well. The paperwork and follow-up is a huge pain, and we’ve been burnt before for getting talented people into our program that couldn’t succeed at BYU academically. So when you see a case like this, it means that not only a lack of confidence by the BYU administration, but a lack of confidence by the coaches.
ouch

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

If he's below 2.3, there's no give-and-take to be had. He cannot play D1 sports or receive a scholarship.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

2.3...that's pretty bad, especially in this day and age where they hand out A's like they are candy.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel