Best Bowl Game options.

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
jvquarterback
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Best Bowl Game options.

Post by jvquarterback »

SpiffCoug wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:37 pm Holmoe most CERTAINLY got it done. BYU is playing in a bowl game in 2018. BYU did not have a viable contracted bowl game available in 2018 - the bowl they did have a contract with folded. There were MULTIPLE bowl-eligible teams that were passed over. BYU was NOT one of those bowl-eligible teams passed over.

Holmoe deserves his criticism. I didn't like the Sitake hiring. I've called for his job. But he did do a good job in helping BYU get to a bowl game in 2018.

Don't be obtuse and let your dislike of his AD tenure blind you to obvious truths. BYU could have been without a bowl game in 2018, despite being bowl-eligible. That is not the case. Holmoe got it done.

Could he have done better? Possibly. But it's stupid to say he didn't get it done, because he did.
Holmoe got a crappy bowl in Boise, Idaho. He got nothing done that wouldn't have been accomplished with even the worst armchair quarterback among us. Even you, Spiffcoug, could have gotten BYU in the potato bowl.

I'm actually giving Holmoe the benefit of the doubt here. Maybe Holmoe's an idiot and the contract only called for a bowl game and not compensation and BYU is paying ESPN to play football.

But can any of you imagine a bowl taking Wyoming, UL-Monroe, Miami-Ohio, or Southern Miss with an equal record over BYU? Of course not, so Holmoe's contract or agreement with the 13 ESPN bowls isn't worth anything (outside extra compensation which Holmoe may not have negotiated). BYU would be in the same or better situation without it.

If this leads to an agreement that includes the stipulation that we play a P5 opponent in one of those 13 bowls if available we'll all be a lot happier.

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

The only worse bowl bid is the one Wyoming, Southern Miss, UL Monroe, and Miami (OH) got -- no bid at all.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

https://lawlessrepublic.com/2018/12/05/ ... tato-bowl/

This article says the payout is $950,000 for us. That is much better than what I had initially heard.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Had the previously contracted bowl not folded BYU would have been playing Mountain West team. I don't think playing a Mid-America team is any worse than playing an MW team.

As others have said, perhaps the only worse bowl is going to no bowl. BYU could every easily not gone to a bowl.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
jvquarterback
Heisman Winner

Post by jvquarterback »

scott715 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:54 pm https://lawlessrepublic.com/2018/12/05/ ... tato-bowl/

This article says the payout is $950,000 for us. That is much better than what I had initially heard.
That's 950k split between the MAC and MWC. BYU could (and should) have a separate agreement that pays them more. Just like they should have an agreement that sets them up to play a P5 opponent if at all possible.

Also, I agree that there isn't a difference between a MAC or MWC opponent. Holmoe needs to lock up a bowl with a P5 opponent but he hasn't wanted to enter into an arrangement for a specific backup agreement.

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

BYu would lose to either a MAC or MWC opponent so there isn't much of a difference. Just look at who we beat this year. NIU (I had heard) lost to western Michigan state (or whoever they are) and BYU lost to NIU. BYU is going to lose this game and end up 6-7 (second losing season in a row) and everyone is going to make excuses for the coach, like "we had a lot of injuries this year" or some other lame excuse.
Last edited by frdbtr on Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

jvquarterback wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:39 pm
scott715 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:54 pm https://lawlessrepublic.com/2018/12/05/ ... tato-bowl/

That's 950k split between the MAC and MWC. BYU could (and should) have a separate agreement that pays them more. Just like they should have an agreement that sets them up to play a P5 opponent if at all possible.

Also, I agree that there isn't a difference between a MAC or MWC opponent. Holmoe needs to lock up a bowl with a P5 opponent but he hasn't wanted to enter into an arrangement for a specific backup agreement.
I'd be more excited for the bowl game if BYU was playing Wyoming or Nevada rather than Western Michigan.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

jvquarterback wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:39 pm

Do you think there just a ton of bowls with P5 teams sitting around waiting to sign a deal with BYU?

There are 39 bowls this year. And there are just six that feature a P5 vs G5 and one of those is the Fiesta Bowl (i.e., a non-contracted bowl tie-in). The ones with contracted tie-ins are the Las Vegas, Birmingham, First Responder, Indpendence, and the Military Bowl.

And the P5 teams they could get weren't great teams.

That's it. That's the entirety of contracted bowls between P5 and G5. And five of the six P5 teams come from one conference and none of those teams finished higher than FOURTH in their division.

Vegas got Arizona St, who finished 2nd in their division but were tied for 5th in the PAC-12.
Birmingham got Wake Forest, who finished 6th in their division but were tied for 11th in the ACC.
First Responder got Boston College, who finished 4th in their division, but were tied for 6th in the ACC.
Independence got Duke, who finished 6th in their division, but were tied for 12th in the ACC.
Military got Virginia Tech, who finished 5th in their division, but were tied for 6th in the ACC.

Which bowl is any better than where we're going this year or have gone in the last 20 years?

So where exactly is Holmoe supposed to find a P5 in a bowl for BYU?

Vegas is already tied in with the MW. Birmingham is tied to C-USA. The First Responder also had a tie-in with C-USA. Independence is tied to the American. Military is also tied to the American.

The other 33 bowls break down 13 bowls between G5 teams and 20 between P5 teams. P5 bowls don't mix well with non-P5 teams. It's really that simple.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
jvquarterback
Heisman Winner

Post by jvquarterback »

BYU isn't G5.

Holmoe should seek a clause in the bowl contract that if a spot is available in a P5 v P5 bowl BYU gets the spot. The MWC has two such relationships with the cheez it and redbox bowls. The AAC has an arrangement with the independence bowl and they are playing duke there. Even the Mac has an arrangement with the quick lane bowl.

Holmoe just gets out maneuvered at every level by the MWC commissioner and by ESPN.

Sam Adams
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

jvquarterback wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:29 pm BYU isn't G5.

Holmoe should seek a clause in the bowl contract that if a spot is available in a P5 v P5 bowl BYU gets the spot. The MWC has two such relationships with the cheez it and redbox bowls. The AAC has an arrangement with the independence bowl and they are playing duke there. Even the Mac has an arrangement with the quick lane bowl.

Holmoe just gets out maneuvered at every level by the MWC commissioner and by ESPN.
BYU isn't G5? How do you figure? Have we played like a P5 team? Are we in the same league as Notre Dame? BYU is an independant and is playing poorly right now. We used to be viewed like a P5 victory until it all fell apart under an incompetent coaching staff and started losing to utah state every year. I don't think you could find even one team in a P5 conference right now that would tell you that they viewed BYU as a P5 team.