BYU's Kalani Sitake off the hot seat

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

BYU's Kalani Sitake off the hot seat

Post by Fido »

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900 ... views.html
Heading into the 2018-19 season, many head coaches of college football teams were on the proverbial hot seat.
For some, the seat ultimately proved too hot, leading to their dismissal
In other instances, bounce-back seasons saved coaches' jobs and saw them removed from the hot seat entirely.
According to Bleacher Report’s David Kenyon, BYU head coach Kalani Sitake was one of those coaches.
“Kalani Sitake's place on hot-seat lists was mostly semantics,” Kenyon wrote. “You don't overhaul the coaching staff if there's minimal concern. Last season, the Cougars ranked 106th nationally in yards per snap and 124th in scoring. This year, they're 100th and 95th, respectively. Meanwhile, the defense jumped from 46th to 21st in yards allowed per snap and 46th to 28th in scoring. BYU's offense must improve for Sitake to bolster his security, but attaining bowl eligibility was a sign of progress in 2018.”

--------------------
Things aren't back to great--but with a number of Freshmen and Sophomores contributing and significant strides from the "guh" of last year things appear on the rebound. These schedules are tougher than previous schedules in the MWC or early in independence and are intended to simulate a P5 conference slate as much as possible. UCF is a poster child for why the G5 model doesn't work. They are undefeated in two straight seasons--but have only faced 3 P5 teams in those 2 seasons (Maryland, Auburn in the Peach Bowl, and Pitt) and they aren't even sniffing the CFB playoff. Dominating the G5s is an antiquated strategy.

KingCoug
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: BYU's Kalani Sitake off the hot seat

Post by KingCoug »

He was never on the hot seat. He was at least getting the last year on his contract no matter what happened this season.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

The team was better this year, no doubt. The offense was slightly better, the defense was better, and we won more.

There are still major concerns. Recruiting is one. Game management, clock management, aggression (playing to win) are others. Off-the-field issues seem to have decreased. So while Kalani has greatly struggled, he also appears to be learning.

The questions are if the improvement will continue, and what his ceiling is. If he can't win 7 games in the regular season next year, he should be gone.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
screamineagle2
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by screamineagle2 »

Mars wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:15 pm The team was better this year, no doubt. The offense was slightly better, the defense was better, and we won more.

There are still major concerns. Recruiting is one. Game management, clock management, aggression (playing to win) are others. Off-the-field issues seem to have decreased. So while Kalani has greatly struggled, he also appears to be learning.

The questions are if the improvement will continue, and what his ceiling is. If he can't win 7 games in the regular season next year, he should be gone.
I agree with all of this.The team was slightly better and Kalani does seem to be trying to learn.He also wants to be here. But he needs to be succesful. Just to many head scratchers.I agree 7 wins is the minimum to keep him around after next year. If he wins 7 extend the contract by a year.Like I said before I did not like the Kalani hire but I do like him as a person and I still want to see him succeed.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

He was never going to get fired. We knew this.

Question is whether his contract will be renewed.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Gunk wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:08 pm He was never going to get fired. We knew this.

I'm "fine" with extending the contract to prevent from being an issue during recruiting. But I want any extension to be coupled with a VERY low buyout should he not continue the slight upward trajectory we might have seen this year.

I want to be able to quickly and cheaply move on from Kalani after the 2019 season.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

7 wins and he keeps his job only if he doesn't get whipped by Utah state and finds a way to end the losing streak to the utes. I also want to see the team motivated to win in every game instead of just 2 for the whole year(WI and the utes).

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

SpiffCoug wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:51 am
Gunk wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:08 pm He was never going to get fired. We knew this.

I'm "fine" with extending the contract to prevent from being an issue during recruiting. But I want any extension to be coupled with a VERY low buyout should he not continue the slight upward trajectory we might have seen this year.

I want to be able to quickly and cheaply move on from Kalani after the 2019 season.
Have you seen how "well" he is recruiting? The downward spiral there is an argument to get rid of him sooner, not to keep him around longer. A coaching change would probably give the recruiting a boost, and I'm pretty sure new coaches would prefer to recruit their own kids.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

snoscythe wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:00 am

Have you seen how "well" he is recruiting? The downward spiral there is an argument to get rid of him sooner, not to keep him around longer. A coaching change would probably give the recruiting a boost, and I'm pretty sure new coaches would prefer to recruit their own kids.
Totally agree. I don't think he did enough in 2018 to keep his job. I would not give him the cheap extension or any extension. I would not bring him back for 2019.

But I think BYU will and will, unfortunately, extend his contract.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

snoscythe wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:00 am

It's not going poorly. We have a 4-star QB in the recruiting class. Solid recruits in the defensive front 7. The coaching staff got in-season commitments from solid 3-star offensive linemen from Texas and Hawaii. We're the late favorite for a couple of 3-star speedsters out of California/Arizona. Making late progress with solid RB prospects with multiple P5 offers.