Best Bowl Game options.

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
jvquarterback
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Best Bowl Game options.

Post by jvquarterback »

So to recap here are the bowl slots available:

B1G: 9 eligible teams, 9 bowl tie-ins, at least 1-3 extra teams going to the NY6/CFP. I think PSU squeaks into a NY6 but that depends some on the BIg12 and ACC championship games. If NW wins there could be 4 teams, but most likely 3 as that will push out Penn St. That leaves spots in the Quick Lane (MAC has backup agreement) and First responders bowls and maybe the redbox (though unlikely).

ACC: 10 bowl eligible teams +1 more if Va Tech beats Marshall, 9-10 bowls. If Pitt beats Clemson and Penn St (weird citrus bowl tie breakers) makes a NY6 then there could be a spot in one of the Independence, Military, or Quick lane bowls.

Big 12: 7 teams eligible, 7 bowls. If Oklahoma is selected for the CFP, or Texas wins and both OK and TX play in the NY6 bowls there will be a spot available in the Armed forces bowl.

SEC: 11 teams eligible, 10 bowls. 3 teams will play in the NY6/CFP so there will be spots in the Birmingham(ACC gets this bowl if Va tech wins) and Independence (Conf USA has backup agreement) bowls.

PAC: 7 teams 7 bowls.

I think BYU goes to the first responders bowl vs UAB or MTSU. If ESPN pulls some strings they could play in the Independence bowl vs Virginia by buying out the Conf USA backup agreement.

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

jvquarterback wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:35 pmIf ESPN pulls some strings they could play in the Independence bowl vs Virginia by buying out the Conf USA backup agreement.
I think we see have some context now for how valuable ESPN sees BYU -- a regional draw for a bowl game, not a national interest.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

BYU lost $1 million dollars when ESPN switched them from the Dallas bowl to the Potato bowl. $1.3m payout to $3k payout.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

hawkwing wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:07 pm BYU lost $1 million dollars when ESPN switched them from the Dallas bowl to the Potato bowl. $1.3m payout to $3k payout.
Well, someone asked for proof that ESPN was unahppy with us......

1967cougar
Junior

Post by 1967cougar »

frdbtr wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:10 pm
hawkwing wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:07 pm BYU lost $1 million dollars when ESPN switched them from the Dallas bowl to the Potato bowl. $1.3m payout to $3k payout.
51 years ago I sat at my first BYU football game as a freshman. For those 51 years I have avidly supported the team no matter where I have been across the nation. Whether driving to where I could pull in KSL radio, or sitting in a Bishop's Office to see the game on satellite, I have always loved and supported my Cougars. But the fire is dying. Even in the Crowton years, I had hope. Pre-Lavell, I had hope. I just don't have much hope right now. Everybody knows Sitake is a great guy; a good man, eager to talk to the donors, the press, anyone. He just sucks as a coach and surrounds himself with sucky coaches.

If I feel that way, and my love comes from the heart, how can anyone think that ESPN loves us? We don't fill the stadium anymore. I would be surprised to see a great overwhelming turnout in Boise. They should call it the Tundra Bowl. I ramble on but I'm hurt. I want my Cougars to show up on game day - every game day. I want them to play to win; not play to not lose. I want the team disciplined at every practice and at every game. I believe my love can be rekindled. I just don't think it can happen with this coaching staff.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

1967cougar wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:55 pm
frdbtr wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:10 pm
51 years ago I sat at my first BYU football game as a freshman. For those 51 years I have avidly supported the team no matter where I have been across the nation. Whether driving to where I could pull in KSL radio, or sitting in a Bishop's Office to see the game on satellite, I have always loved and supported my Cougars. But the fire is dying. Even in the Crowton years, I had hope. Pre-Lavell, I had hope. I just don't have much hope right now. Everybody knows Sitake is a great guy; a good man, eager to talk to the donors, the press, anyone. He just sucks as a coach and surrounds himself with sucky coaches.

If I feel that way, and my love comes from the heart, how can anyone think that ESPN loves us? We don't fill the stadium anymore. I would be surprised to see a great overwhelming turnout in Boise. They should call it the Tundra Bowl. I ramble on but I'm hurt. I want my Cougars to show up on game day - every game day. I want them to play to win; not play to not lose. I want the team disciplined at every practice and at every game. I believe my love can be rekindled. I just don't think it can happen with this coaching staff.
My feelings exactly and they wouldn't have changed if BYU hadn't blown that 20 point lead to the utes. The fact that they did just galvanized it even more. IMO if BYU were still an exciting team, ESPN wouldn't have exercised its option for the extra year for BYU, they would have renewed/updated the contract. If BYU doesn't have a special season next year(and they won't under Sitake), I wonder if BYU will be broadcasting exclusively on BYU TV in 2020.

Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

We are fortunate to have any bowl game at 6-6 (thanks to our contract). Wyoming is not bowling at 6-6. There are three other eligible teams missing out as well.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Jarhead wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:18 am We are fortunate to have any bowl game at 6-6 (thanks to our contract). Wyoming is not bowling at 6-6. There are three other eligible teams missing out as well.
Yep, ESPN fulfilled their minimum responsibility to us. Made sure we were in a a bowl per our contract with them.

jadesroom
Freshman

Post by jadesroom »

I'm not complaining that we're in a bowl. I'm complaining that we're in the Boise Bowl in December. Do I think BYU deserved better? Not really. The bowl designation is just another sign that this season sucked.

a1247
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by a1247 »

jadesroom wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:06 am I'm not complaining that we're in a bowl. I'm complaining that we're in the Boise Bowl in December. Do I think BYU deserved better? Not really. The bowl designation is just another sign that this season sucked.
This bowl game is exactly what BYU deserved. Low level team=low level bowl game. The one and only good thing about the bowl game is it gives byu another month of practice. I'm not even sure that's going to help much. Same coach's same results.