Who will have more touchdowns at the end of the 1st Qtr?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.

Who will have more TDs at the end of the 1st quarter (read carefully)

Poll ended at Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:42 pm

BYU's offense
46%
Utah's defense
54%

Total votes: 13

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Who will have more touchdowns at the end of the 1st Qtr?

Post by scott715 »

Rethinking the Taysom run in 2016, the play should had been him faking the run up the middle and then pitch to the outside or a quick throw over the top. All the D collapses on him to stop him.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

BYU's last offensive touchdown against Utah that occurred in the 1st quarter was in 2006 when BYU had two. The Cougar offense has just three 1st quarters touchdowns this millennium and just five since 1997. The Utah defense has four!

In fact, BYU only has 15 first half touchdowns in the last 20 meetings. BYU has only had the halftime lead six times in the last 20 (and won four of them).

Here's how the the last 20 BYU-Utah games have gone in the 1st half.

2017: 9-0 Utah at the half.
2016: Utah w/ an INT return in 1st qtr. (BYU one 2nd qtr TD) 14-13 Utah at the half
2015: Utah w/ 2 INT returns in 1st qtr. (BYU one 2nd qtr TD) 35-7 Utah at the half.
2013: 13-0 Utah at the half.
2012: BYU w/ one 2nd qtr TD. Utah w/ a Fumble Return TD in 3rd qtr. 24-7 Utah at the half.
2011: Utah w/ a Fumble Return TD in 1st qtr. (BYU one 2nd qtr TD)14-10 Utah at the half.
2010: 6-0 BYU at the half.
2009: BYU w/ one 2nd qtr TD. 13-6 BYU at the half.
2008: BYU w/ two 2nd qtr TDs. 27-17 Utah at the half.
2007: 6-3 BYU at the half.
2006: BYU w/ two 1st qtr TDs. 14-10 BYU at the half.
2005: 24-3 Utah at the half.
2004: BYU w/ two 2nd qtr TDs. 21-14 Utah at the half.
2003: BYU w/ no scores.3-0 Utah at the half.
2002: BYU w/ no TDs. 6-0 BYU at the half.
2001: BYU w/ one 2nd qtr TD. 14-10 Utah at the half.
2000: BYU w/ one 1st qtr TD. 13-7 BYU at the half.
1999: 6-3 Utah at the half.
1998: BYU w/ one 1st qtr TD. 13-10 BYU at the half.
1997: BYU w/ one 1st qtr TD. 14-10 BYU at the half.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
jadesroom
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by jadesroom »

I'd like to think that we have a close game, but instead I think this game is similar to a 2011 runaway. We may not even score a touchdown, first quarter or later.

El Guapo
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU is OK

Post by El Guapo »

frdbtr wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:01 am We are evenly matched talent wise. Coaching wise, we are way over our heads. That is the difference and why I have no faith in BYU's shot at winning this game. I hope they prove me wrong, but I have no faith.
We are evenly matched talent-wise with the Utes??? :gross:

KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

Neither the coaching staff or the players have given us any reason to believe they can upset the U at Rice Eccles.

The Wisconsin game is an apples-to-bowling balls comparison because Whittingham always preps his guys for the rivalry game.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
BOID
Junior

Post by BOID »

8) 8) :crazy: :lol: 8)
BOID wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:39 am I beg to differ. There is every reason to believe that past results in this rivalry will not determine the result this time. The Utes played over their heads and out of their minds against BYU in the past. Bronco, although a great coach in some ways, continued to make the error of calling the rivalry “just another game like any other game.”

Sitake takes this game seriously. In 2016, Sitake’s first year, honestly, the Utes were lucky to squeak that one by. One point up, not controlling the game, because Taysom had a shot at them from the two yard line at the end. Last year does not count, because the team had problems, and Mangum had issues.

This year, this team has the athletes and the game plan to go toe to toe with Utah. Sure, BYU could lose. But it is definitely not outside of the realm of possibilities for this group of Cougars to come out sufficiently fired up, and to have the bounces go their way for once.

Utah does not respect BYU. After seven consecutive wins, they have even begun to think the game with BYU is meaningless to them. Sitake knows the significance of this game, and these Cougars are not going to come into it uninspired.

I know we’re missing Corbin, but Utah’s roster is not full of supermen, as some of you guys seem to imply. BYU has speed on D, with LB’s, DB’s, some real receivers among the tight ends (finally), some large, fierce linemen, and finally, a damn good QB, who, although a freshman, has developed some confidence by now. Utah’s QB is also new to starting, although a redshirt freshman. I’ll bet on our QB over theirs.

I think we’re evenly matched with them, and there’s no cause to be calling this a loss just yet. And if we lose, consider this a warm up game for a bunch of Cougar freshmen and sophomores, that, with further experience, will be the better squad of the two rivals by next season.

Just my two cents.

BOID
Junior

Post by BOID »

I know it’s only half-time, but I’m digging it so far. Utes have never been a good come-from-behind team. Looks like our guys are inspired this time. Just keep the pumped defense going, and we’ve got this!

BOID
Junior

Post by BOID »

Wow. Never saw such an ugly momentum swing. Another shoulda been win that got away. I wanted to see an option read for Wilson to look for Bushman or Holker, where Zac could choose to run for the 1st down. I’m surprised they tried to run Burt between the tackles.only needed two more 1st downs for each of the last two BYU possessions, and that should have ended have ended it. Classic story of playing conservatively with a good lead, and thereby losing all momentum.

Oh well, at least they didn’t come out asleep for the 1st quarter! But, you’ve gotta play for 4 whole arts.

Still, I think BYU is back, with a bright future.

BOID
Junior

Post by BOID »

BOID wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:32 am Wow. Never saw such an ugly momentum swing. Another shoulda been win that got away. I wanted to see an option read for Wilson to look for Bushman or Holker, where Zac could choose to run for the 1st down. I’m surprised they tried to run Burt between the tackles.only needed two more 1st downs for each of the last two BYU possessions, and that should have ended have ended it. Classic story of playing conservatively with a good lead, and thereby losing all momentum.

Oh well, at least they didn’t come out asleep for the 1st quarter! But, you’ve gotta play for 4 whole quarters.

Still, I think BYU is back, with a bright future.