Flake needs to never work in public office again. Not even dogcatcher.

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Flake needs to never work in public office again. Not even dogcatcher.

Post by Mars »

hawkwing wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:31 am The biggest problem is those who knew about these allegations yet sat on them for months in order to try to derail the nomination process. Those people are playing dirty politics with someone's life.
Very true. But that would also damage the victim, not invalidate her claims.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Mars wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:18 pm
hawkwing wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:31 am The biggest problem is those who knew about these allegations yet sat on them for months in order to try to derail the nomination process. Those people are playing dirty politics with someone's life.
Very true. But that would also damage the victim, not invalidate her claims.
I'd say it's just as damaging to the accuser as to the accused. Someone who had their accusations treated so flippantly should be extremely disappointed and upset with the way they were wrongfully used by people in order to score political points.

jvquarterback
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by jvquarterback »

So I'll preface this by saying I don't like Kavanaugh for his poor 4th amendment record and I would prefer just about any other judge on Trump's list.

As a political tool though I think this actually helps Republicans in the upcoming elections the longer this draws out. Flake has done Republicans a solid by taking one for the team. This will backfire on the Democrats.

Republicans have done the research on this topic to see how it plays out in the polls. Robed, unelected Kings and Queens are the one thing that will get Republicans out to vote in November. I don't think those kings an queens will change the rules on infanticide but enough Republicans will vote to hold onto the Senate.
Last edited by jvquarterback on Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

jvquarterback wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:35 am So I'll preface this by saying I don't like Kavanaugh for his poor 4th amendment record and I would prefer just about any other judge on Trump's list.

As a political tool though I think this actually helps Republicans in the upcoming elections the longer this draws out. Flake has done Republicans a solid by taking one for the team. This will backfire on the Democrats.

Republicans have done the research on this topic to see how it plays out in the polls. Robed, unelected Kings and Queens are the one thing that will get Republicans out to vote in November. I don't think they'll change the rules on infanticide but enough Republicans will to hold onto the Senate.
I'm lukewarm on Kavanaugh as well, but felt the way this entire thing was handled was a mockery.
As hawk pointed out, the real shame here is the way the dems held onto the allegation as a trump card for the last minute. (and why did she go directy to the dems???) democrats might be outraged right now, but of those on Trump's list, Kavanaugh seems one of the most likely to help their causes.

CrimsonCoug
Senior

Post by CrimsonCoug »

Flake certainly didn't take the easy road on this. It would have been much easier for him to get in line. But he has a heart and a conscience. I respect him for standing up, even--especially--if it means against his party.

He also saved the Senate for the Republicans in the last election. Without that delay, this article never gets written:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/07/gop-cre ... crats.html

I have absolutely no respect at all for Feinstein sitting on these allegations and then her staff leaking it to the press at the most politically opportune moment. That trivializes the experience of Dr Ford, the record of Judge Kavanaugh, and the advise and consent responsibility outlined in the constitution. Despicable.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Agreed.