Expectations for the Washington game?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
jvquarterback
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Expectations for the Washington game?

Post by jvquarterback »

Win. I've never been to a BYU game in which I expect a loss. I won't start now.

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
Yzzazz
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Yzzazz »

I expect BYU to win by almost two touchdowns. BYU 27 UW 14

birdie702
BLUEshirt

Post by birdie702 »

Those who predicted a BYU loss need to turn in your Cougar cards. BYU will win 31-24. Kool-aid I’m drinking is delicious to the taste....

imuakahuku
All-American

Post by imuakahuku »

I think this will be a harder game to win now that we beat WI. If we had won the first two and lost to WI, I think WA could have been overlooking us because next week they have a conf game. But now I think they will be more focused on us. But we can still beat them. I think both teams are nearly identical. A very tough run defense, suspect secondary (although ours is playing better than the first two games-which is expected), and an offense that just does enough (either to barely win or lose by a few points). So I believe this will be Sitake's game to win or lose. He will have to prove himself a better motivator than Peterson. Our kids need to go into the game flying around and playing loosely or they will make mistakes and get beat. And I think that energy needs to be fed to them by Sitake. I don't think it can come from anywhere else (and it won't come from their stadium unless it is filled at least close to half way with BYU fans). Overall, we can beat WA. We have the talent (please don't throw any more balls to Simon until he pulls his head out and learns to perform onstage). We can win this one and all the rest, we just need Sitake and the team leaders to step up and lead.
BYU 17-14. As always, call it blue goggles, but I cannot ever cede a loss, even to Alabama. Heck, Kahuku beat Tua and Mariota when noone gave KHS a chance, "never give in".

redneckjedi
All-American

Post by redneckjedi »

I expect low scoring, a couple of turnovers from UW including a defensive score for us, a big punt return by Shelton, conservative offense for us with less than 100 yards passing but no turnovers. 17-14 BYU if we are opportunistic enough, 14-3 if we aren't.

If the yewts take the field and there are no BYU fans to pour beer on, will anybody come?
KingCoug
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by KingCoug »

imuakahuku wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:23 am So I believe this will be Sitake's game to win or lose. He will have to prove himself a better motivator than Peterson.
A tall order.

Sitake and the other coaches need to have some pretty effective stuff drawn up for Washington (like how they used the fly sweep against Wisconsin). Because you know Petersen and Co. will be ready for anything they've seen so far. And we will need to be ahead of them in terms of in-game adjustments, especially in the 2nd half.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

KingCoug wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:08 pm
imuakahuku wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:23 am So I believe this will be Sitake's game to win or lose. He will have to prove himself a better motivator than Peterson.
A tall order.

Sitake and the other coaches need to have some pretty effective stuff drawn up for Washington (like how they used the fly sweep against Wisconsin). Because you know Petersen and Co. will be ready for anything they've seen so far. And we will need to be ahead of them in terms of in-game adjustments, especially in the 2nd half.
For me, Petersen is what drains me of much hope for this weekend. Not only is Washington strongest where we are weakest, but Petersen is uniquely situated to understand and counter BYU's new offense with his experience running the predecessor offense under Dan Hawkins at Boise State.

It's just a bad matchup for BYU's offense all around.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

For me it is the receivers. I watched Washington absolutely pummel Covey up north, they just about killed him. If you think our receivers are already plagued by the drops, just wait until they catch one and get absolutely drilled by a physical db or safety. I don't expect the passing game to do much, and then Washington will load the box and dare us to throw again and we won't be able to. This is just a bad matchup. I will be rooting for BYU of course, but I don't hold out much hope that they can win this game.

Yzzazz
BLUEshirt

Post by Yzzazz »

ESPN wrote:The Huskies' offense and punting units haven't been doing their defensive counterparts any favors. Washington ranks 97th nationally and 11th in the Pac-12 in opponents' starting field position, meaning its opponents need to cover less ground to get into position to score. On average, opponents are starting at roughly their own 31-yard line. Last season, Washington ranked No. 7 nationally in the same statistic.
So this is hopeful. Perhaps this means we only need to make 30-40 yards to get Southam a shot at scoring. Win the game 9-7 maybe? :crazy:

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

Husky Stadium is a very difficult place to play--more so when it is wet and rainy, so maybe we won't be too handicapped there. WA has speed speed speed, so IF and it is a big IF we can play smashmouth and win time of possession, we will be competitive. If in response WA loads the box, then if our TEs can get open off of play action, we will be competitive. I am not sure and i recognize those are big IFs, but I still think those are real possibilities. On defense, IF we can maintain the edges and put pressure on WA's QB when he throws, again, we will be competitive. I have less hope here based on the first four games of the year than with the IFs above, but perhaps Takitaki or Kaufusi have a lights out game? I fear we lose 28-13, but my heart says we squeak out a close one 24-21. Go Cougs!