We fired Detmer for THIS?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: We fired Detmer for THIS?

Post by frdbtr »

SpiffCoug wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:03 pm
redneckjedi wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:57 am
snoscythe wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:17 am Funny that at a fan event this offseason (after firing Detmer) Kalani told fans he was glad that BYU understood that a coach needs a few years to get his system in place and was being patient with him.

Isn't there some parable of two debtors that relates?
Indeed. I would also add, "What if the coach's system sucks?" Do you cut it out immediately, or let it metastasize like a cancer? I don't have any knowledge to say that Sitake is a cancer, but if we're speaking in generalities, not every coach needs a few years, nor will a few years give the desired dividends for every coach.
Exactly. I'd rather get rid of a coach a year too early than a year too late. I fear we're already in that year too late.
I hope not. I wanted everyone gone after last year including The AD but I am hoping that the changes result in more wins. I guess we will see after game 5 because that is when this team is either going to do what last years team did and quit on the season or it will fight til the end and make a bowl game. I'm hoping for the latter because it would be good for BYU football for this coaching staff to figure it out. I don't want to start over again.

redneckjedi
All-American

Post by redneckjedi »

Maybe Cal was the aberration, and the ship has been righted? Hopefully we stay grounded after the win and don't let off the gas for McNeese St. or anyone else.

If the yewts take the field and there are no BYU fans to pour beer on, will anybody come?
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

redneckjedi wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:50 pm Maybe Cal was the aberration, and the ship has been righted? Hopefully we stay grounded after the win and don't let off the gas for McNeese St. or anyone else.
See, this is the rub. will they keep working hard and play with a chip on their collective shoulders, or will they let up on the gas and lose another head scratcher? Washington is probably going to be a harder win because they have a really good passing game. We will see.

TheDean
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by TheDean »

frdbtr wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:02 pm
redneckjedi wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:50 pm Maybe Cal was the aberration, and the ship has been righted? Hopefully we stay grounded after the win and don't let off the gas for McNeese St. or anyone else.
See, this is the rub. will they keep working hard and play with a chip on their collective shoulders, or will they let up on the gas and lose another head scratcher? Washington is probably going to be a harder win because they have a really good passing game. We will see.
Then how do you explain the Wisconsin win. Firing Detmer was nothing more than a scapegoat tactic like the firing of Bosco was as both time the O-line coach should have been fired. Grimes has taken the o-line witch was terrible last year and made it better and it shows.

vancouvercougar
All-American

Post by vancouvercougar »

frdbtr wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:02 pm
Washington won't take us lightly after our Wisconsin victory.

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

What if a coaches system allows you to beat the #6 team in the country but also takes some weeks off and loses to the Californias of the world?

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by SpiffCoug »

I'm hoping that the Cal loss followed by the Wisconsin win is a sign that this offensive staff knows how to hold guys accountable. They let the players know the effort wasn't good enough against the Bears and sent a message that was not only heard, but was received, accepted and internalized.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
a1247
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by a1247 »

The offensive coaching staff the previous 2 years was under qualified for the job. They were hired to make the donors feel good and it failed. Look at the experience this offensive coaching staff has. Not counting JG who is a 1st time offensive coordinator 4 coaches on the offensive staff have been a offensive coordinator before. Experience in coaching is priceless and unfortunately Detmers staff was inexperienced.

I do believe JG will be gone in 2 years but that's really ok. BYU has 2-3 coaches on the staff who I believe they are grooming for that job. More specifically Fesi Sitake who did a really good job for Weber State last year.

redneckjedi
All-American

Post by redneckjedi »

BroncoBot wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:33 am What if a coaches system allows you to beat the #6 team in the country but also takes some weeks off and loses to the Californias of the world?
I believe the answer is that you will eventually kick an onside kick while leading 43-0.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/695 ... -27-0.html

Yes, Utah beat #11 UCLA, then lost to UNLV 27-0 the next week, and later that same season was the infamous onside kick game.

If the yewts take the field and there are no BYU fans to pour beer on, will anybody come?
CrimsonCoug
Senior

Post by CrimsonCoug »

Yes. We fired Detmer for THIS.

Most progress in the real world is non-monotonic. That is, there are ups and downs, even with an overall upward trend.

Fellas, I think we need to remember that this is BYU. Among the many things that define BYU is a decades- long tradition of playing to the level of the competition.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK