Merril Hoge not happy with BYU coaching staff

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Merril Hoge not happy with BYU coaching staff

Post by snoscythe »

I give more credit to how Merril says his son felt about things in private conversations than I give to statements his son makes to the media or in social media when he's expected to be a good little soldier.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

Losers in this situation are the coaching staff. What a bunch idiots.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

snoscythe wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:35 pm I give more credit to how Merril says his son felt about things in private conversations than I give to statements his son makes to the media or in social media when he's expected to be a good little soldier.
I don't. So I guess there's that.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

I think Beau is a good guy.

Coaches: You aren't upset are you?
Beau: No Sir, I'll do my best to help the team however I'm asked.
Coaches: Good man, I like how you're handling this!

Merrill: You're pretty mad aren't you?
Beau: I guess so, a little bit. I did want to compete at QB a while longer. Maybe coaches could have talked to me a bit more about it first.
Merril: I knew it! These guys don't know QB talent! They didn't let my son compete! They didn't even talk to him! This makes me SO ANGRY!!!

I put much more stock in what Beau said yesterday than what his disconnected overly-emotional little league father said.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Jarhead wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:45 am
snoscythe wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:35 pm I give more credit to how Merril says his son felt about things in private conversations than I give to statements his son makes to the media or in social media when he's expected to be a good little soldier.
So you think he has a greater motivation to speak freely when he knows his words will be publicly available than he does in private conversations with a trusted individual?

I guess we have different takes on human nature.

UCChris
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by UCChris »

What I don't understand is why Hoge didn't get more time to prove himself. He looked like the best QB last year, IMO.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

UCChris wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:24 pm What I don't understand is why Hoge didn't get more time to prove himself. He looked like the best QB last year, IMO.
He had Spring camp, in which he fell behind two true freshmen on the depth chart. He also has a history of concussions now.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
CrimsonCoug
Senior

Post by CrimsonCoug »

scott715 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:11 pm He thinks highly of his kid but the stats don't support it. 52% completion and TD/INT 3/4. It is a small sample size and no doubt he could do better. But where was he on the depth chart? Chances of playing were not good at QB.
Yeah; that's over the two years of his career with 56 attempts with an efficiency of 114. And a rushing average of 2.7 on 28 carries.

By comparison, Taysom had a 59% completion percentage his Freshman year with a 4:2 ratio with a 6.1 YPC on 71 tosses and 55 rushes.

He seems much more like "tougher than us all" Riley Nelson, who was 54% throwing over his first two years on 50 attempts with a TD:INT ratio of 3:1, and averaged 5.2 yards on 52 attempts rushes over that time (yeah; Riley rushed more than he passed his first two years).

Riley would have been a great safety, and the coaches asked him to do it but he refused--AND THE COACHES DIDN'T MAKE HIM. Maybe Beau should try safety....!

My guess that there was a full staff meeting after Spring and the topic of QB came up and it was decided to see if it made sense to thin the field early through position changes. The only guy who was worth anything if he wasn't a QB was Beau, and since he didn't show he was better than two active guys in Spring (Beau<Wilson and =Critchelow. Joe had a completion average of 54% with 3:4 INT), then it made sense from a resource management perspective to switch him. I remember Grimes saying that and athleticism was only ever icing after taking into account everything else, so I don't think Grimes put much stock in his rushing--which given the stats, he shouldn't have.

As for the Mickey Mouse communication, I've been totally unimpressed with the external / social media run by Jack Damuni and the it looks like the internal communications haven't been great either. Maybe the HC had already designated his Asst. HC to deal with communication on position changes. You know, to be Kalani's hatchet man so that Kalani could continue to play the avuncular head coach.

I wonder who has communicated the other position switches this season, and whether they were foisted on the players. Seems like there have been a TON more this year than in years past.
Last edited by CrimsonCoug on Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
CrimsonCoug
Senior

Post by CrimsonCoug »

snoscythe wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:17 pm
Jarhead wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:45 am
So you think he has a greater motivation to speak freely when he knows his words will be publicly available than he does in private conversations with a trusted individual?

I guess we have different takes on human nature.
FWIW, I don't think these two accounts are contradictory; rather, they give insights into different points in time. Beau talked to pops as the change was happening, in April. He says he didn't update his dad on his subsequent talks. Beau never said that his dad misrepresented the initial situation; only that he doesn't feel that way now.

Interestingly, though, Merril hasn't recanted. I think he still feels that his boy was done dirty.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

This isn't a one-time thing, either.

Remember when Kalani/Tuiaki/Lamb told Butch Pau'u in November to go ahead look at transferring because he is too short for what they want at LB?

This staff seems to operate pretty ham-handedly with personnel decisions.