hunters and shooters out there...

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: hunters and shooters out there...

Post by Ddawg »

Hey BroncoBot - how is that Savage Stealth working out for ya?

I checked it out on the internet. Savage has a reputation for building accurate, affordable shooters. That Stealth has a nice 24" free floated barrel. And the gun weighs 11.5 lbs. It should be a solid, accurate shooter for ya.

Just curious - what kind of glass did you throw on it? Have you been able to shoot sub-moa at 100 yards with it?

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

It's a great gun. The action felt smoother to me than the Ruger precision. Accutrigger is nothing to write home about, but isn't bad. I really like the chassis. Getting just under MOA with factory "whatever the cheapest is please" ammo I can find. I initially was going to put the 260 barrel (match grade) on it, but I've liked it enough to leave it and built another gun out of the 260 barrel. Savage is good that way. Very easy to DIY. 6.5 is a great caliber. Can shoot it all day and it doesn't beat you up, very accurate, some great bullet selection if you handload.

Definitely not the gun you want to pack all over the CO backcountry looking for elk, but for target/plinking and plop down and wait for coyote type hunts it's great.

For glass, I put a Athlon Argos 6-24 on it. Not a Nightforce, but good enough for right now. I've been impressed with it to be honest.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

My only complaint about my 6.5?

After shooting it for a while, when I switch over to my lightweight .270, the scope on the .270 is a bit too friendly with my eye socket.

Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Ddawg »

Here's a fun dream gun. It the new Army / Marine / Navy / Special Operations sniper rifle. The Remington MSR. Can change calibers in about less than 2 minutes (about 90 seconds). It comes in a kit for $21,000. The individual rifle costs $11,600 (no scope or bipod). Street value about $10,500.

Here's the kit ($21,000). With barrels, bottles and magazines to shoot 338 Lapua, 300 Win Mag, and 308.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

snoscythe wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:14 am My only complaint about my 6.5?

After shooting it for a while, when I switch over to my lightweight .270, the scope on the .270 is a bit too friendly with my eye socket.
I've got a lightweight 308 that has the same problem.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Ddawg wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:40 am Here's a fun dream gun. It the new Army / Marine / Navy / Special Operations sniper rifle. The Remington MSR. Can change calibers in about less than 2 minutes (about 90 seconds). It comes in a kit for $21,000. The individual rifle costs $11,600 (no scope or bipod). Street value about $10,500.

Here's the kit ($21,000). With barrels, bottles and magazines to shoot 338 Lapua, 300 Win Mag, and 308.

Wow. That's a lot of gun.