"Open competition" for Starting QB

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: "Open competition" for Starting QB

Post by Gunk »

Does Holmoe not see this? Week in and week out I'm continually flabbergasted by the ineptitude of BYU football.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Gunk wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:34 pm Does Holmoe not see this? Week in and week out I'm continually flabbergasted by the ineptitude of BYU football.
He sees it. He is just choosing to remain conspicuously silent through it all. I remember back in 12 when the offense sucked and he tweeted that he was aware and changes would be made. Well, this year, he is saying nothing.

Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Mars »

frdbtr wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:29 am
Gunk wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:34 pm Does Holmoe not see this? Week in and week out I'm continually flabbergasted by the ineptitude of BYU football.
He sees it. He is just choosing to remain conspicuously silent through it all. I remember back in 12 when the offense sucked and he tweeted that he was aware and changes would be made. Well, this year, he is saying nothing.
Because Holmoe hired Detmer and guaranteed him 4 years pay.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Mars wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:58 am
frdbtr wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:29 am
Because Holmoe hired Detmer and guaranteed him 4 years pay.
I don't see this as a Detmer problem. I see it as a Kalani problem. Kalani is the one that has no idea what he is doing. I don't remove blame from detmer but you might have noticed that the offense has looked better since Kalani has made the statement that they are "going to go down swinging". It hasn't show in points but has shown in yards. I think that Cahoon is a huge part of the problem and if our receivers were being coached better, plays that aren't being made to keep the offense on the field would be being made. If the coaching staff were fired at the end of the year, I would not be disappointed to see Detmer retained as Ocoordinator as long as the Head coach knew how to create a winning organization and the position coaches were the type that were going to coach toughness into the team both on offense and defense.

I still think a major problem with this years team is the defense. I don't look at the points allowed, yes the defense held Fresno to 20 points which on the surface seems to be a good defensive effort but in the long run, the defense did just enough for BYU to lose the game. Just think if they had held Fresno to a 3 and out after BYU scored the TD to tie the game at 13. BYU would have kept momentum but after that 88 yard 14 play drive that they gave up to put BYU back down by 7 (the very next Fresno drive), combined with Tanner going out for the year, the wind completely went out of BYU's sails. We need a coaching house cleaning starting with the head coach. The donors that wanted this need to buy out the coaching contracts and take their medicine and then let BYU hire a real coaching staff.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Ed Lamb said today that there is no open competition for QB and they have known from Saturday night who the guy at QB was going to be. Kalani is trying to put the next opponent at a disadvantage.

Makes you feel a bit better about the QB situation.....

.... until you realize BYU's head coach just lied to the media to gain a competitive advantage against UNLV.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

snoscythe wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:46 pm Ed Lamb said today that there is no open competition for QB and they have known from Saturday night who the guy at QB was going to be. Kalani is trying to put the next opponent at a disadvantage.

.... until you realize BYU's head coach just lied to the media to gain a competitive advantage against UNLV.
Hiding who the starting QB is a gimmick and won't work. If you have to resort to that against UNLV, you have already lost the game. I would be shocked if BYU wins this game and may not beat UMASS as our last home game. We won't win against Hawaii, this will be a 2 win year, maybe 3 if we are lucky.

BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

snoscythe wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:46 pm Ed Lamb said today that there is no open competition for QB and they have known from Saturday night who the guy at QB was going to be. Kalani is trying to put the next opponent at a disadvantage.

When you as a coach think there is a competitive advantage to be had against UNLV by hiding who among our remaining QBs, with our current receivers, will be running the existing offense, well, we are in deep deeeeeep trouble.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

Did he say who that QB is?

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

byufan4ever wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:56 pm

Is anyone kidding, it is going to be Hoge. Critchlow and Wilstead just don't know the offense well enough. They are going to tape up Hoge's ankle and he is going to give it a go.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

byufan4ever wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:56 pm

No. The only hint he gave is that it's definitely not Koy Detmer, Jr.

When someone asked what happened to Koy he it would be unfair to Koy to compare him to other QBs (ouch), but that he doesn't give us the best chance to win. Koy and a converted safety are running the scout team from here on out.