OT: Bronco Mendenhall's Virginia having the wheels fall off this week

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
1967cougar
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: OT: Bronco Mendenhall's Virginia having the wheels fall off this week

Post by 1967cougar »

I just spent time reading this entire thread. Why do I feel as if I have been cheated out of some valuable minutes of my finite mortality?

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Fido wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:11 pm
frdbtr wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:41 pm Have you even watched BYU this year? ECU who had the worst defense in the country and was 1-6 when we played them, crushed BYU. Virginia played UNC on the road and beat them. UNC would beat USU, and ECU easily. BYU would probably have struggled with Virginia's FCS team if we even won that since we struggled with Portland state.
So the transitive property for wins is a thing in college footbal. Cool, cool, cool.........

I only brought up the Virginia game today to try and quell a little bit of the "Fire Sitake, bring back Bronco" mentality going on. BYU and Virginia play very different schedules. Comparing them doesn't make for accurate "what if" results.
Exactly.

There's so much conjecture here, it's just not honestly worth the effort to type a response anymore.

Facts are responded to with supposed hypotheses about how team A would do in alternate universe B. It's really just garbage conversation. Shut it down. Let the thread die.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

1967cougar wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:45 am I just spent time reading this entire thread. Why do I feel as if I have been cheated out of some valuable minutes of my finite mortality?
Depends on where you place the most blame- The reader, or the writer? ;)

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

I think people forget Bronco left BYU.

Yes, fans were frustrated, but it wasn't like he had one of the worst seasons in BYU football history.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Gunk wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:06 am I think people forget Bronco left BYU.

Yes, fans were frustrated, but it wasn't like he had one of the worst seasons in BYU football history.
Bronco left because he didn't feel appreciated by the boosters, former players, and fans for what he had done. I don't think he would have ever left BYU if he hadn't felt that way.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

frdbtr wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:36 pm

Bronco left because he didn't feel appreciated by the boosters, former players, and fans for what he had done. I don't think he would have ever left BYU if he hadn't felt that way.
3 vs 1 Million? I would have left.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

I think it's fair to say that Bronco felt he was being pushed out.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

I imagine there are multiple reasons as to why Bronco left. Every football team has zealous boosters and fans, so if Bronco left to escape unrealistic expectations, he's going to run into the same issue.

Point is, he left. It's not like we made a mistake and fired him. People talk about Bronco as if BYU made some mistake and if only BYU had kept Bronco. He left. He divorced us.

He wasn't really even chased out. It wasn't like BYU/Holmoe were keeping on a horrific coach a lot longer than they should have been. Bronco was performing, just not up to the expectations of fans, expectations Bronco stoked. Bronco talked about becoming nationally relevant. Bronco talked about national championships. He fanned those flames and when they got too intense, he left.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

People who know the inside story know that the administration wanted Bronco gone, they were actively working on getting him to go and refusing to give him any help or resources and did everything they could to make his life more difficult. That was Tom Holmoe's choice. But it is what it is, Bronco's gone, and sure, we would have had special seasons last year and this if we'd had him, but over coming the mission age change and the recruiting issues of changing to Doman as OC took longer to recover from than we would have hoped. Regardless, Bronco's gone and pining for him won't help. He's not coming back. There needed to either be a change at AD or HC, so that choice was pretty easy for the school and for the boosters.

CrimsonCoug
Senior

Post by CrimsonCoug »

hawkwing wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:14 am People who know the inside story know that the administration wanted Bronco gone.... There needed to either be a change at AD or HC.
Why?

Why did it have to be one or the other? Not disputing, I just honestly have no idea of the backstory from out here on the East Coast. The whole thing seemed strange. Bronco's pride was obviously hurt. There were a lot of fans, presumably boosters among them, who dreamed of greener pastures without wanting to spend the green to get there.

We went from Macys hoping to get to Harrods and ended up dumpster diving at Reams.

And yeah, Bronco left, and he won't be coming back. But we as fans can still learn from it...if there's something there to be learned.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK