OT: Bronco Mendenhall's Virginia having the wheels fall off this week

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: OT: Bronco Mendenhall's Virginia having the wheels fall off this week

Post by Brayden Green »

frdbtr wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:25 pm
Brayden Green wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:57 pm
frdbtr wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:02 pm
Brayden Green wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:57 pm Who on their schedule is tougher than anyone in our first 5 weeks?
How many wins would this years team have against an ACC schedule? Be careful, BYU got whipped by ECU.
You didn't answer my question.
You didn't answer mine either.
Mine is a real question. Yours is guesswork and speculation.

I made it easy for you.

BYU's opponents have a winning percentage of 55%. Their top 5 opponents according to record (whom they played in the first 6 weeks) have a winning percentage of 75%.

Virginia's opponents have a winning record of 42%, and their top 5 opponents have a record of exactly 50%.

Sagarin has BYU's schedule (overall) as the 36th hardest in the nation, which I would guess is a top 15 schedule without the back half.

He has the Virginia SOS rated as the 74th hardest in the nation.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

Brayden Green wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:48 pm
Brayden Green wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:57 pm Who on their schedule is tougher than anyone in our first 5 weeks?
How many wins would this years team have against an ACC schedule? Be careful, BYU got whipped by ECU.

I made it easy for you.

BYU's opponents have a winning percentage of 55%. Their top 5 opponents according to record (whom they played in the first 6 weeks) have a winning percentage of 75%.

Virginia's opponents have a winning record of 42%, and their top 5 opponents have a record of exactly 50%.

Sagarin has BYU's schedule (overall) as the 36th hardest in the nation, which I would guess is a top 15 schedule without the back half.

And yet even with that "cupcake" schedule, BYU would only have 1 win against it. The only reason BYU has 2 wins this year is because of SJSU. Virginia has no SJSU's on their schedule.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

frdbtr wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:03 pm How well did BYU do against Boise state at home? How well did Virginia do against Boise state on the road?
Yup.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

frdbtr wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:01 pm

I made it easy for you.

And yet even with that "cupcake" schedule, BYU would only have 1 win against it. The only reason BYU has 2 wins this year is because of SJSU. Virginia has no SJSU's on their schedule.
Man, do some research...

the ACC is full of Basketball first schools that suck at football.

William and Mary 2 - 6 (non-con) WIN
Indiana 3 - 5 (non-con) LOSS
UNC 1 - 8 WIN
Duke 3 - 4 WIN
BC - 5 - 4 LOSS
Pitt 4 - 5 LOSS

UVA's best team played this year is Boise State (WIN). They'll probably lose their next 4 games against actual opponents, leaving them at 5 - 7 this year.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

Brayden Green wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:18 pm
frdbtr wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:01 pm

I made it easy for you.

Man, do some research...

the ACC is full of Basketball first schools that suck at football.

William and Mary 2 - 6 (non-con) WIN
Indiana 3 - 5 (non-con) LOSS
UNC 1 - 8 WIN
Duke 3 - 4 WIN
BC - 5 - 4 LOSS
Pitt 4 - 5 LOSS

UVA's best team played this year is Boise State (WIN). They'll probably lose their next 4 games against actual opponents, leaving them at 5 - 7 this year.
Have you even watched BYU this year? ECU who had the worst defense in the country and was 1-6 when we played them, crushed BYU. Virginia played UNC on the road and beat them. UNC would beat USU, and ECU easily. BYU would probably have struggled with Virginia's FCS team if we even won that since we struggled with Portland state.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

It's sad that people are excited to see Bronco fail.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Fido »

frdbtr wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:41 pm Have you even watched BYU this year? ECU who had the worst defense in the country and was 1-6 when we played them, crushed BYU. Virginia played UNC on the road and beat them. UNC would beat USU, and ECU easily. BYU would probably have struggled with Virginia's FCS team if we even won that since we struggled with Portland state.
So the transitive property for wins is a thing in college footbal. Cool, cool, cool.........

I only brought up the Virginia game today to try and quell a little bit of the "Fire Sitake, bring back Bronco" mentality going on. BYU and Virginia play very different schedules. Comparing them doesn't make for accurate "what if" results.

KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

frdbtr wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:48 pm I think it is funny that While Bronco was winning no one says a word, now that he has lost 2 in a row people start yelling "See, bronco would have sucked this year at BYU too!" So Bronco's Virginia team has less talent than BYU this year and is 5-3 in a tougher conference than BYU's independent schedule. I don't know why Virginia has dropped 2 games to pretty mediocre teams in the ACC but he has. I am confident that if he stays at Virginia, they will continue to improve and get to a bowl game. Virginia has been an ACC doormat for many, many years. BYU was a 9 win average team with Bronco and this year we have won 2 games and lost to some really, really bad teams. Trying to say Bronco's 2 losses in a row justifies BYU's horrible play is unbelievably moronic.
It was actually the other way before. Bronco goes 4-1 at Virginia and people with short memories and a rush to judgement start pining for his return or daydreaming that he never left.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Mars wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:02 pm Your opinion seems to be widely disagreed with by most on here. This team and last year's would have much better records with Bronco and Anae. They were good coaches. Not great, but not bad either.
It's not a hard concept. As I said before Bronco certainly wasn't in Saban or Meyer or other top 10 coaches. But they got a lot out of their BYU teams. I'm not going to say they'd have ever won a national championship, but I have a hard time believing this year would have been the same.
Whether or not you buy the "growing pains" (which Anae never seemed to go through) argument seems to be the difference.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

byufan4ever wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:06 pm It's sad that people are excited to see Bronco fail.
BYU fails way before Bronco will. Sad to see either happen though.